Quick Trey Lance Breakdown

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if some of it is McCarthy's offense because I see this type of thing with Dak quite a bit. Kurt Warner talked about a pure progression system and how it makes things tougher on the QB at times.

When I watch the all-22 videos, Dak will have 4 defenders on 2 receivers to his right and 2 on 2 to his left and he drops back looking to his right.

Sydla

Reaction score
And as some have pointed out, some of his issues in San Fran were struggling with pre-snap reads. In this case, he should have seen it's likely 4 vs 2 to his right, 3 vs 3 to his left.

kskboys

Reaction score
Played both horrible and really good in the same game.

Way too quick to take off running. Needs to cut his crapp and keep his eyes downfield until the last possible moment.

Awesome arm strength and very quick release.

Can he get the game to slow down for him? Not sure, but it won't happen as long as he's taking off after 1 or 2 reads.

FoxF

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if some of it is McCarthy's offense because I see this type of thing with Dak quite a bit. Kurt Warner talked about a pure progression system and how it makes things tougher on the QB at times.

When I watch the all-22 videos, Dak will have 4 defenders on 2 receivers to his right and 2 on 2 to his left and he drops back looking to his right.
McCarthy’s offense is old school west coast and not innovative, notice it gets shut down when we face good teams or coaches.

blueblood70

Reaction score

And your point somehow they ended up with the number one scoring offense in the league the number one efficient offense in the league at moving the ball... Apparently, I'll have to trust the offensive coordinator, head coach ,and quarterback that that's how it was drawn up... If you were intending to go to a one-on-one matchup on your left, why would you look there first ? tell the defense exactly what you're doing? if you're read start from right to left and that's what you need to do.. I realize that you try to find the one-on-one matchup but not if it's your 4th receiver you might want to trust land even though he looks double you go to him first because he's your primary that is why they draw up offenses this isn't Johnny Football I can't read a playbook to save my life and I'll go try to find the open guy even if it takes 6 seconds of running around behind the pocket..

No this is what an offense is called when you're coached, and you drop a game plan and you drop those plays they have a natural progression, and typically you have less than 3 seconds to hit your back foot and let the ball go. play call; you don't go away from unless it's some kind of crazy last second stupid thing that you're hanging your life on this one play then you can go off script. But you can't go off script on every play you must follow the script...

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Uh…nobody is open except the flat and that is for like a second with Trey not even looking that way. Everyone is covered.

If there’s a criticism on this play it’s he should’ve never thrown it and just tried to run with it into the end zone or thrown it away.

The problematic thing is he didn’t see more defenders in the area than the receivers.

FoxF

Reaction score
And your point somehow they ended up with the number one scoring offense in the league the number one efficient offense in the league at moving the ball... Apparently, I'll have to trust the offensive coordinator, head coach ,and quarterback that that's how it was drawn up... If you were intending to go to a one-on-one matchup on your left, why would you look there first ? tell the defense exactly what you're doing? if you're read start from right to left and that's what you need to do.. I realize that you try to find the one-on-one matchup but not if it's your 4th receiver you might want to trust land even though he looks double you go to him first because he's your primary that is why they draw up offenses this isn't Johnny Football I can't read a playbook to save my life and I'll go try to find the open guy even if it takes 6 seconds of running around behind the pocket..

No this is what an offense is called when you're coached, and you drop a game plan and you drop those plays they have a natural progression, and typically you have less than 3 seconds to hit your back foot and let the ball go. play call; you don't go away from unless it's some kind of crazy last second stupid thing that you're hanging your life on this one play then you can go off script. But you can't go off script on every play you must follow the script...
Except when they played good teams or coaches. The Cowboys schedule last year was weak and the defense and offense fell apart every game against good teams or coaches

Flamma

Reaction score
Played both horrible and really good in the same game.

Way too quick to take off running. Needs to cut his crapp and keep his eyes downfield until the last possible moment.

Awesome arm strength and very quick release.

Can he get the game to slow down for him? Not sure, but it won't happen as long as he's taking off after 1 or 2 reads.
Jalen Hurts took off after 1 or 2 reads all year in 2022. He just didn't make those mistakes. You can't be throwing picks like that in the endzone. Better to run it than do that. Your first sentence is spot on. Even Dak for the longest time didn't throw into the endzone from close up. He took a sack or threw it away. You can't have a turnover there on a bad decision.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Good
1. Has really good pocket presence.
2. When moving in or out of the pocket he doesnt just look to run. He does get his eyes back down field.
3. Much better runner than I gave him credit for
4. On par with Dak throwing the deep ball. Which is hit or miss.
5. Seems like a bright kid. Only players know what kind of leader he is
6. Above average arm when mechanics are there.

Bad
1. Accuracy is way off. Aikman once said that accuracy is the hardest thing to change/improve
2. Not sure about reading the field. Nor is anyone making comments about it. Unless you know the exact play call and the reads being emphasized you dont know.
3. Experience. He is literally learning to play QB on the fly. 340 pass attempts in college. Thats it.
4. Seems to take a while to get settled. See lack of experience

If he was being paid like a 4th round pick, then he definitely deserves to be on a roster.

The young man needs snaps. But he has to play to do that. And he's done playing this year.
If he cant address his accuracy issues, he has no hope. He'll just be another Tebow. A tease.

kskboys

Reaction score
watch the first drive and Lance was impressive and throwing dimes, looked like Aikman out there with his ball placement. Then the whole thing fell apart, so who is Trey Lance? That is the question.
Problem is, his instinct is to run. And that needs to be coached out of him if he's ever going to be an NFL starter.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts took off after 1 or 2 reads all year in 2022. He just didn't make those mistakes. You can't be throwing picks like that in the endzone. Better to run it than do that. Your first sentence is spot on. Even Dak for the longest time didn't throw into the endzone from close up. He took a sack or threw it away. You can't have a turnover there on a bad decision.
That's why Hurts got injured.

Taking off after 1-2 reads gets a QB hurt.

HungryLion

Reaction score
watch the first drive and Lance was impressive and throwing dimes, looked like Aikman out there with his ball placement. Then the whole thing fell apart, so who is Trey Lance? That is the question.
The entire concept of being accurate is being consistent with your throws. Throwing accurate passes play after play, quarter after quarter, game
After game.

Stringing some well placed balls together on one drive but then missing throws the next, means the QB isn’t an accurate QB.

Every QB misses some throws. The accurate QB’s miss way less throws than the inaccurate ones.

leeblair

Reaction score
Is this the interception that people keep saying it was the receiver's fault?
One interception near mid field where the defender just took the ball away from the receiver.
I think that's the one you're talking about.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I was starting to be impressed w/ him, and then suddenly he started taking off running just about every play. That's when it all fell apart.

Here's what most don't realize: After a hard run, a QB's accuracy is most likely to be off for a play or two. Sometimes an entire series. His running is hurting his passing.