Quick Trey Lance Breakdown

Flamma

Reaction score
That's why Hurts got injured.

Taking off after 1-2 reads gets a QB hurt.
Of course it does. You can get away with it for a season or two. But at some point running around a lot gets you injured as opposed to sitting in the pocket. What remains to be seen is if he has improved as a pocket passer. He has every weapon available to him. He can't ask for better.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can't read a defense and make quick decisions with the ball. That's why he got bounced out of SF. Shanihan viewed him as a lost cause. Lots of guys have physical talent, but playing QB in the NFL is more than just athletic ability.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Problem is, his instinct is to run. And that needs to be coached out of him if he's ever going to be an NFL starter.
Is it?
This is still pre season. He has yet to play behind an NFL caliber OL. This last game he had to adjust to 3 different centers.
They dont game plan. His protections are basic. And the protection he gets is hit or miss. Plus they are trying to evaluate other players on offense as well.
I think the 1 thing he has done very well is to try and stay in the pocket. With his ability to run, it would he easier for him to have run more than he has.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Im 50 +++ and seen my fare share of football. I really don't need someone else's opinion about Lance. He's not even close to being a NFL quality QB. Arena league at best. Johnny Manziel was probably better.
Were you ever a QB or QB coach? In the NFL?
Im 50+++ years too and have seen my fair share of a lot of things. Most of them I would never to proclaim any sort of expertise on.

He definitely has NFL talent. The question is, can you correct his deficiencies. Accuracy being the most concerning and also the hardest to correct.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Is it?
This is still pre season. He has yet to play behind an NFL caliber OL. This last game he had to adjust to 3 different centers.
They dont game plan. His protections are basic. And the protection he gets is hit or miss. Plus they are trying to evaluate other players on offense as well.
I think the 1 thing he has done very well is to try and stay in the pocket. With his ability to run, it would he easier for him to have run more than he has.
He has played behind an NFL caliber OL and very good skill players in SF and he's not there anymore.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He can't read a defense and make quick decisions with the ball. That's why he got bounced out of SF. Shanihan viewed him as a lost cause. Lots of guys have physical talent, but playing QB in the NFL is more than just athletic ability.
So you know the exact play that was called? The reads? The routes? The progressions?

Please enlighten us with a few examples where he didnt make the correct read based off the above. And also share with us how you got the playbook.

Staubacher

Reaction score
It would be stupid not to use his elite running ability this season while he is here, regardless of what his future as a NFL QB may be. There should be designed plays where he comes in, read options, wildcat, etc.
I doubt they will do that though as QB1 needs coddling.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He has played behind an NFL caliber OL and very good skill players in SF and he's not there anymore.
Just read this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Lance

He virtually has no real experience. Now why did SF give up on him, youd have to ask them. Did they think the accuracy issues could never be corrected? Maybe.

But this notion that hes played all these meaningful games as an NFL starte are misinformed.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Those numbers in SF aren't really that bad
Especially for a 20 year old rookie QB with a whopping 340 pass attempts in college.

He is soooo raw. But he does have potential. This is a classic case of a player being way over drafted and then getting killed for not playing up to where he was drafted.

If he had been a third round pick and given time to develop, this would be a different discussion.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
"His eyes aren’t tied to his feet & it seems when things breakdown after his first read…he’s not sure where to go."

How many times has the same thing been said about Dak? Don't take this as an endorsement of Lance, because it isn't. Just pointing out that Jerry has the same QB on the roster, and that guy is demanding a 60 mil + contract

kskboys

Reaction score
Is it?
For a while he did, but then he started taking off after 1-2 reads. I'm guessing you didn't watch the whole game.