Quick Trey Lance Breakdown

kskboys

Reaction score
Just read this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Lance

He virtually has no real experience. Now why did SF give up on him, youd have to ask them. Did they think the accuracy issues could never be corrected? Maybe.

But this notion that hes played all these meaningful games as an NFL starte are misinformed.
SInce he is now ours, I'm hoping they gave up on him simply because he needs too much development.

kskboys

Reaction score
Were you ever a QB or QB coach? In the NFL?
Im 50+++ years too and have seen my fair share of a lot of things. Most of them I would never to proclaim any sort of expertise on.

He definitely has NFL talent. The question is, can you correct his deficiencies. Accuracy being the most concerning and also the hardest to correct.
Agree w/ everything else, but the biggest problem is post snap reads. Correct that, and the accuracy issues will lessen dramatically.

And some of those accuracy issues are caused by running. Been watching for it for years, when a QB has a hard run or two, he is a bit gassed, and is often inaccurate for a pass or two afterward.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you know the exact play that was called? The reads? The routes? The progressions?

Please enlighten us with a few examples where he didnt make the correct read based off the above. And also share with us how you got the playbook.
He threw 5 INTs and could have easily had 2 more against a vanilla defense loaded with guys about to get cut. SF gave up on him in spite of having a huge amount of draft capitol invested. I think the burden of proof is on you not me! lol

kskboys

Reaction score
He threw 5 INTs and could have easily had 2 more against a vanilla defense loaded with guys about to get cut. SF gave up on him in spite of having a huge amount of draft capitol invested. I think the burden of proof is on you not me! lol
Well said.

I could understand a few bad plays/passes, but there were entire quarters where he was terrible.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said.

I could understand a few bad plays/passes, but there were entire quarters where he was terrible.
Well, you could see the plan was basically to let him go out there unrestrained by his actual ability to see if he could make it work. But he failed spectacularly was the best offensive player for both teams!

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, you could see the plan was basically to let him go out there unrestrained by his actual ability to see if he could make it work. But he failed spectacularly was the best offensive player for both teams!
When I came on here today after watching the game, I was shocked to see people proclaiming that he played great. There's just no way they watched the game. I mean, he made some really good plays, had some really good passes, but then he'd completely curl up into a little stinkball.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
If he cant address his accuracy issues, he has no hope. He'll just be another Tebow. A tease.
Interesting you mentioned Tebow because it is a good analogy.

I just differ with you in believing it isn't accuracy, but rather diagnosis and anticipation.

He can hits dots on the field. He is just looking at the dots too late or choosing the wrong dots.

I felt that was tebow's problem. He wasn't really a QB. Just an athlete. Is this Lance's problem?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
So you know the exact play that was called? The reads? The routes? The progressions?

Please enlighten us with a few examples where he didnt make the correct read based off the above. And also share with us how you got the playbook.
No. I don’t think most people do. I see him going through progressions just fine. Whether he’s reading them correctly or not or hesitating to throw the ball when he should is up for debate. But even in this breakdown the guy giving his analysis is just so obviously wrong, No one is open except the flat pass for a second where Trey isn’t even looking and by the time he throws it everyone is literally covered.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if some of it is McCarthy's offense because I see this type of thing with Dak quite a bit. Kurt Warner talked about a pure progression system and how it makes things tougher on the QB at times.

When I watch the all-22 videos, Dak will have 4 defenders on 2 receivers to his right and 2 on 2 to his left and he drops back looking to his right.
You have to be able to read and take what the Defense is giving you. 4 on 2 or 3-3? How can you pick the 4 on 2 side of the field?

Regardless of the routes, good or bad play design, you always take the numbers advantage.

kskboys

Reaction score
Interesting you mentioned Tebow because it is a good analogy.

I just differ with you in believing it isn't accuracy, but rather diagnosis and anticipation.

He can hits dots on the field. He is just looking at the dots too late or choosing the wrong dots.

I felt that was tebow's problem. He wasn't really a QB. Just an athlete. Is this Lance's problem?
No, Tebow's problem was his long excruciatingly slow delivery. Allowed the DB's to jump every route except the long stuff. Trance has a great delivery.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
watch the first drive and Lance was impressive and throwing dimes, looked like Aikman out there with his ball placement. Then the whole thing fell apart, so who is Trey Lance? That is the question.
Wow. Someone actually put Trey Lance and Troy Aikman in the same sentence.

Chasing6

Reaction score
watch the first drive and Lance was impressive and throwing dimes, looked like Aikman out there with his ball placement. Then the whole thing fell apart, so who is Trey Lance? That is the question.
Maybe just maybe we had 10 scripted plays for Trance that were heavily practiced. Good for him, in 1 drive in a total of 3 preseason games, were he took all 95% of the snaps, he was able to impersonate, what appeared to be an NFL QB against team UPS/Amazon/Costco.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He said it right. He needs more snaps. The more he sees they better he'll be. Not sure if his next contract will be in Dallas but I think he could become a good QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He said it right. He needs more snaps. The more he sees they better he'll be. Not sure if his next contract will be in Dallas but I think he could become a good QB.
Or the NFL for that matter.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if some of it is McCarthy's offense because I see this type of thing with Dak quite a bit. Kurt Warner talked about a pure progression system and how it makes things tougher on the QB at times.

When I watch the all-22 videos, Dak will have 4 defenders on 2 receivers to his right and 2 on 2 to his left and he drops back looking to his right.
Interesting. Do you have any videos to share?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lance needs to play football. I am currently watching the game on replay. I am at the point where the young tight end fumbles the ball on a great drive by the Cowboys. I am guessing Lance must have fallen apart in the second half with backups. I think you guys greatly exaggerated Lance’s performance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance needs to play football. I am currently watching the game on replay. I am at the point where the young tight end fumbles the ball on a great drive by the Cowboys. I am guessing Lance must have fallen apart in the second half with backups. I think you guys greatly exaggerated Lance’s performance.
Keep watching my friend.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Keep watching my friend.
I am at 4:37 left in the 4th quarter. Lance has thrown two picks. He dropped a dime that should have given the Cowboys the lead. At this point every player Lance is playing with will be working 9-5 come Tuesday. This was actually his best game of the preseason.