Quincy Butler never had a chance...

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I knew it was over for Quincy Butler when they tried to mess with his coverage mechanics.

What was that about?

Don't you guys get it? Butler was Jerry's boy. Cutting him is Bill's way of sticking it to Jerry.

aikemirv

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I knew it was over for Quincy Butler when they tried to mess with his coverage mechanics.

What was that about?

No, that is what they did with Derek Ross and cut him for it!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Secondary2None3141 said:
Generally speaking . . . me and sarcasm go together like peanut butter and jelly . . .

But I'm having a hard time figuring out if this thread is legit, sarcastic, or referencing some sort of inside joke . . .

I'll just smile and nod I suppose . . .
It's sarcasm directed at the Henson fans who claim Parcells didn't like Henson and didn't give him a chance.

I think there is a middle ground here, though. If you take two young players who are talented but very green, and you make up your mind to develop one over the other, then of course the one not given equal development is not going to turn out as well.

Which then makes it easy to claim later that, "See, the guy stunk from the start. I told you so."

But it could really be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a coach favors a guy and "wants" him to succeed, he has a better chance than a guy who gets on the wrong side of the coach, for whatever reason.

Now before anyone attacks me as a Henson lover who is crying for poor Drew, that's not the case. I'm a lover of defensive football who never had a dog in this QB fight. I never even saw one play of Henson's in college. I'm just saying that while there's nothing wrong with a coach deciding for whatever reason that he doesn't like a player and doesn't think he'll turn out -- every coach has to make tough decisions like that -- it's a little disingenous to claim that coaches never play favorites, at least a little. I think everyone who has ever played organzied football has seen it to some degree.

So maybe Henson really can't play pro football at all no matter how he's coached. But let's not act like some players who don't work out for some coaches don't ever go to other teams and turn out to be pretty decent players.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dale said:
TO's at fault.

But Hurd is doing so well only because of T.O.'s instruction. I don't think he knew how to run a pattern before he got here!

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
But Hurd is doing so well only because of T.O.'s instruction. I don't think he knew how to run a pattern before he got here!

Hurd developed IN SPITE OF Owens' help. Not because of it. :lmao2:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dale said:
Hurd developed IN SPITE OF Owens' help. Not because of it. :lmao2:

Before you know it, he will teach him how to have a hamstring problem!

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
No, It's pointed at all the Quincy:lombardi: Carter fans, these were the same arguments they used.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Don't you think this thread is just a little bit "agendaized"?

I think Chocalate Lab makes some good points.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I was a Henson supporter and I thought he did well in Europe. I just thought this thread was all in fun !

wileedog

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I
I think there is a middle ground here, though. If you take two young players who are talented but very green, and you make up your mind to develop one over the other, then of course the one not given equal development is not going to turn out as well.

Show me one shred of evidence that this is the way it happened.

Both got equal playing time last year and Romo was better. This year he was much better, so much so there was no point in playing Henson.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
It's sarcasm directed at the Henson fans who claim Parcells didn't like Henson and didn't give him a chance.

Which then makes it easy to claim later that, "See, the guy stunk from the start. I told you so."

But it could really be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a coach favors a guy and "wants" him to succeed, he has a better chance than a guy who gets on the wrong side of the coach, for whatever reason.

Now before anyone attacks me as a Henson lover who is crying for poor Drew, that's not the case. I'm a lover of defensive football who never had a dog in this QB fight. I never even saw one play of Henson's in college. I'm just saying that while there's nothing wrong with a coach deciding for whatever reason that he doesn't like a player and doesn't think he'll turn out -- every coach has to make tough decisions like that -- it's a little disingenous to claim that coaches never play favorites, at least a little. I think everyone who has ever played organzied football has seen it to some degree.

So maybe Henson really can't play pro football at all no matter how he's coached. But let's not act like some players who don't work out for some coaches don't ever go to other teams and turn out to be pretty decent players.

Let's get back to Quincy Butler here and leave out the Henson stuff please.

Geez:rolleyes:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
On a related note.... Bill Parcells, catching a ride with Peter King back to the hotel in Oxnard, went into a violent rage when Peter turned up the stereo. Word is BP took the CD out of the stereo and tossed it out the window onto the highway. Peter King is a Quincy Jones fan. It's clear BP is biased.

fortdick

Reaction score
JPM said:
That's it !! Butler is off the team I'm not watching Dallas this year. I plan on boycotting any Dallas memorabilia, who's with me !

Excuse me, I need to go start a fight with my wife over this too....

ROFL

:laugh2: :bow: :laugh1:

ZiggyZ.

Reaction score
Inman, great thread, great point.

Don't people listen to BP's press conferences? Or at least read Inman's awesome transcripts? The guy is a fanatic about player evaluation. Does anyone really think that Bill simply decided that he didn't like Henson, and thus relegated him to 3rd string based on his personal sentiments?

Get real.

Bill would be one of the few coaches I WOULD trust to separate business from personal feelings.

Mosely is absolutely ******** by singing this tune.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I think it's plausible that Parcells didn't like Henson. But if so, it's because he didn't like Henson's play.

It couldn't have helped Henson's cause if his old baseball coach was sending Parcells warning messages. However, I highly doubt Parcells would base his entire decision on that.

Now, if he did, he's a damn fool. But I just don't see it.

Besides, we've all seen Henson's erratic play since he's been here. No steady signs of improvement, IMO. Played well in Europe but followed that up with a mediocre showing in camp.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm not even sure you could say he played that well in Europe. Other QB's who have gone over there in recent years who have had the markings of someone who could at least be backup material in the NFL, like Dave Ragone, Rohan Davey and Jonathon Quinn all dominated the competition over there. I watched all of Henson's games, and I never thought to myself "This guy has no business being there".