Quincy Carter "hardest" cut in Parcell's tenure so far

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
When asked what the hardest cut he had to make to date in Dallas, Parcells responded "probably Quincy Carter" and that he was saddened by the whole situation.

Just thought it was an interesting question.

LarryCanadian

TheProphet

Benched
Reaction score
Geez, The Prophet thought cutting the horrid Q was the easiest decision BP ever had to make. LOL. QC was a cancer to this team, set back the QB position for 5 years. The fact that JJ burned a 2nd rounder to pick up this clown is pathetic.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
this is no surprise. if he was just gonna can him he'd have done it day-1. he was a hard worker and tuna probably was a father figure. the guy lead the team to the playoffs (coming off 15-33) and seemed like a likeable guy, unfortunately he has addictions spoiled any potential.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
When asked what the hardest cut he had to make to date in Dallas, Parcells responded "probably Quincy Carter" and that he was saddened by the whole situation.

LarryCanadian
Not surprising, Larry, considering the time and effort it takes to develop a young QB...the film, the playbook, the practice field, the locker room - teaching him to do it right.

A year of Bill's life, really.

Sure must feel like cutting a year out of your life when you don't have many working years left.

Juljonesfan

Reaction score
Parcells invested a lot into the kid and they went o the playoffs. I watched that PC and Parcells was genuine and hurt by that situation.

More that he saw a kid he was trying to help out in life, fail.

Thats sad to Parcells. Many make him off as a hard ***, and he is. But at end of day to be so great a coach as he is. he cares about his players.

Is that a sin?

ghst187

Reaction score
New movement: No more threads about QC or Chad Hutchinson on this board again

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Wow! I never would have guessed that one......but, it was his QB with a lot invested in him coaching wise

russ

Reaction score
Maybe Parcells isn't the big a--hole that everyone thinks he is. Maybe he was saddened that a guy with some talent smoked it away or snortted it up or whatever he did.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LarryCanadian said:

LarryCanadian
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Not surprising, Larry, considering the time and effort it takes to develop a young QB...the film, the playbook, the practice field, the locker room - teaching him to do it right.

Sure must feel like cutting a year out of your life when you don't have many working years left.

Not just that, I think he appreciated that QC was a guy who didn't have all the natural talent or the best support system but he was a very determined player nonetheless. As much fun it must be to bash somebody for being human, I'd rather admire a guy who just never quit when he was on the playing field.

ddh33

Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Developing a QB is hard work. Bill had done a lot with Quincy. I think he genuinelly liked him, and he had just led the team into the playoffs. It was an unfortunate situation, and I have always believed that cut set this team back about two years.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Every cut would be hard on me. I couldn't categorize any of them.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
TheProphet said:
Geez, The Prophet thought cutting the horrid Q was the easiest decision BP ever had to make. LOL. QC was a cancer to this team, set back the QB position for 5 years. The fact that JJ burned a 2nd rounder to pick up this clown is pathetic.

ding ding!!!

lights flashing!!!!!!

sirens wailing!!!!!!!!!

tell him what he's won johnny!!!!

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Maybe if Quincy wasnt in all that crap he was in, he would of had a brighter future here. he wasnt that great talent wise, but he did HELP get us into the playoffs.

jimmy40

Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:

LarryCanadian
1 QC thread is worse than 100 TO threads.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Like others on this thread have said, this isn't really a shocker.

For one, I agree with all of those who've said that Bill seemed to genuinely like him. And from a coach's perspective, especially in the 2 offseasons that Parcells had him, what wasn't there to like? Carter practically lived at Valley Ranch studying film and working out, dieted down when Bill asked him to and actually lost extra pounds beyond what Parcells had requested, and generally seemed to want to will himself into a leader on the team.

Second, because of all the offseason work Carter had put in during the winter and spring of 2004, I really think Parcells believed he was ready for a breakout season. Even though that may be readily ridiculed by many on this board, an objective look would tell you that Carter seemed to have sufficient physical skills if his mind was right to improve on his 3300 yard season of 2003 during that 2004 campaign.

Regarding the comment that it's hard to believe Jerry burned a 2nd round pick on this "clown", Carter produced better results than Joey Harrington or David Carr have over a longer sample size of playing time so far in their respective careers. While it's unfortunate the 2nd round pick ended up a waste due to whatever personal issues Carter had, think of how the Texans to an extent (although they're still hanging on to Carr) and the Lions might feel about the spots in which they took those guys.

Incidentally, I've never been a Carter lover or hater or anything else, I am simply a Cowboys fan who roots for each and every player that dons the uniform of the team. I never understood the emotional attachment on either end of the spectrum to the Carter issue, I'm just trying to give what I think is an objective opinion on why Parcells may have felt it was so hard to hand him a pink slip.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Just had to tell ya.... your sig has some skills....
:bow:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I'll never understand all the hate for Quincy Carter.

The mods put stickies up to stop the hate for Drew Henson after the fact, but I guess it's accepted to bash Carter. Carter was drafted a few rounds too early, unexpectedly thrown to the wolves as a starter before he was ready, introduced to pro football by a terrible head coach in one of the worse run organizations until Bill took over, and under the spotlight of the most intense football media in the nation.

It's a freaking wonder the kid didn't blow his brains out his rookie year. It's amazing what he was able to accomplish under Parcells.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

The mods put stickies up to stop the hate for Drew Henson after the fact, but I guess it's accepted to bash Carter. Carter was drafted a few rounds too early, unexpectedly thrown to the wolves as a starter before he was ready, introduced to pro football by a terrible head coach in one of the worse run organizations until Bill took over, and under the spotlight of the most intense football media in the nation.

It's a freaking wonder the kid didn't blow his brains out his rookie year. It's amazing what he was able to accomplish under Parcells.

*applaud* , Agreed.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

Yep, I go to at least 2 games each year and I would be banned if I repeated some of the stuff I heard fans say at TS when he was here playing.

That's funny about the Drew Henson stickies...I must have missed that.

- Mike G.