Quincy Carter "hardest" cut in Parcell's tenure so far

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think the difference was that he knew that he'd likely be ending Q's career -- teams around the league really respect Bill's opinion on young guys. Note how even a former 3rd rounder like Peterman hasn't been picked up yet -- even though at least 25 teams need interior line help.

With Key, he knew he'd get another shot and could pretty much play as long as he wanted to for decent money.
Great point

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Rack said:
I remember you, me, and a few others saying the same thing a few years ago.

The worst thing to happen to QC was Jerry Jones cutting Banks. That, and having the most incompetent HC in cowboys history coaching him.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda... nothing can be done about it now. Hopefully JJ learned from that mistake (rushing him into action).

Hopefully the dude finds some peace in his life.

... of clarity in this thread. QC's problems were not just about QC, but rather they were a culmination of alot of bad decisions that had been brewing years before.

Quincy was a raw seed planted in a garden of incompetence. Sometimes the best way to deal with that crop is to mow it all down and replant all the seeds.

I believe that is what Parcells has done to an extent. Like any other garden there has been the odd wormy onion or mouldy carrot, but for the large part we have seen a relatively good yield for Parcells effort.

Compared to the Jones and Campo team I'm not willing to plow this year's crop under.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
I was pissed off the day we drafted him and ecstatic the day he was cut.

Don't see this as a hard cut at all.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I guess we will never know why Drew and Bill didn't 'click'...but with Parcells, gruff as he is, cut-throat professional tho he has to be, the affinity bond seems to have to be there, and I guess this time it just wasn't.

I genuinely appreciate this guy and although I don't consider him the greatest coach - I have stronger feelings for one of his predecessors who roamed the same sidelines in a fedora - I would play or work with Bill any day.

Obviously this is an opinion cobbled together from media reports and television, but I think the enigma with Bill is his desire to be private with his team, but connected. Couple this with a voracious media and we often get a skewed version of what his management style is.

I believe this man is one of the most straight forward characters on the sidelines in the NFL. He tries to avoid dealing in shades of grey. He wants things to be simple and focused on the task at hand - Winning football games!

If there are vagaries of life he attempts to channel them in a manner to improve the individual on the field - hence the motivational comments like Skyler Green being "fat". I think he carries a very personal relationship with players. It's how he learns the boundaries of what he can use towards his goal. I'm sure he has a thoguhtful and direct way of dealing with Davis and his shooting problems. I believe so because Davis was compelled to lie about his situation to the police. It tells me that BP was definitive in line about the topic.

He's older, so time and patience is thin. I have found out in my advancing years that I have less patience for people who are not able to focus on the task at hand. When you are goal oriented, focus is so critical because of the white noise in any working environment tends to contribute to a derailment of your train.

The best you can do is be honest with your employees and lay out the lines in the sand. After that you partner with the ones who want to pave their way to success on the field and you usher out those who would rather suceed at the Gatorade table.

You do this for two reasons. First, and least important because your job is on the line, second and most important because you honestly believe that your way is the path for success for these youngsters. You desperately want to try to help them suceed and enjoy the fruits of their efforts. Look no further than his comment to Ellis about money.

Why do people fail with BP. My guess is that they want to be the coach instead of him. They pop off stupid little comments. On the fifth and sixth repetition they deliberately or mistakenly do it wrong even though he has taken the time to walk over/explain or exposed himself personally to the player's faults to help him correct it.

Basically they don't get "it". And what is "it". For a controlling, emotional disciplinarian it's my path/guideline/instruction to success. Do it my way or hit the highway.

These guys are the easiest type to work for and work with because they let you know exactly what they are thinking and there's no need to get your "Karnak" hat out to second guess what he wants. There's no second guessing in BP's game.

For guys like QC and Henson it's shame that they couldn't stay with BP when other less talented QBs, as LTN has so eloquently stated, have had some modicum of success. It wasn't about physical talent in my opinion, but rather mental focus and acuity. You can't grow brains for all your players and at some point in time it's better to move on.

Bone

Reaction score
Why are we still talking about this? It should have been the easiest cut of the Tuna's tenure, next to Tony Dixon. I am just glad we have a good QB now, and we have a contending team.

Bone
out.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Why are we still talking about it? Because a question was asked of Parcells and he answered in a way that surprised a lot of people.

Seems like Carter made more of an impression on Parcells than most recognized. I know that Parcells for his part was pretty danged protective of Carter...he asked how he could be disappointed in a bad play by Carter because he knew how hard Carter was working to improve himself as a QB. That is the one thing that Parcells seems to truly relish in football. Guys that may not be the best athlete or have the most skills, but are willing to do everything they can do to get better. We currently have several of these types of guys on the roster. Petitti is one. Polite is one.

Just because Carter pissed it away doesn't change the fact that Parcells liked him as a player on his team.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
Why are we still talking about it? Because a question was asked of Parcells and he answered in a way that surprised a lot of people.

Seems like Carter made more of an impression on Parcells than most recognized. I know that Parcells for his part was pretty danged protective of Carter...he asked how he could be disappointed in a bad play by Carter because he knew how hard Carter was working to improve himself as a QB. That is the one thing that Parcells seems to truly relish in football. Guys that may not be the best athlete or have the most skills, but are willing to do everything they can do to get better. We currently have several of these types of guys on the roster. Petitti is one. Polite is one.

Just because Carter pissed it away doesn't change the fact that Parcells liked him as a player on his team.

Two most down moments I've seen Bill in Big D: When he cut Quincy, and after that 2005 season.