Quincy Carter "hardest" cut in Parcell's tenure so far

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Irvin was a star...Carter was a guy that had to prove he even belonged in the league.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
What kills me about the whole Q thing is if he had been drafted in 2003 when Bill first got here, I don't think he would have been rushed in like he was. I think Parcells would have brought him along like he has with Romo and maybe thing would have been different.

I remember you, me, and a few others saying the same thing a few years ago.

The worst thing to happen to QC was Jerry Jones cutting Banks. That, and having the most incompetent HC in cowboys history coaching him.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda... nothing can be done about it now. Hopefully JJ learned from that mistake (rushing him into action).

Hopefully the dude finds some peace in his life.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'll never understand all the hate for Quincy Carter.

The mods put stickies up to stop the hate for Drew Henson after the fact, but I guess it's accepted to bash Carter. Carter was drafted a few rounds too early, unexpectedly thrown to the wolves as a starter before he was ready, introduced to pro football by a terrible head coach in one of the worse run organizations until Bill took over, and under the spotlight of the most intense football media in the nation.

It's a freaking wonder the kid didn't blow his brains out his rookie year. It's amazing what he was able to accomplish under Parcells.

I'll never understand the love.

During his hey day, if anyone criticized him (even if it was valid), they were literally attacked by his supporters. In his eyes, he could do wrong. Any criticism was eventually called out as racism in an under the table type of way. It got real old, real quick.

The excuses that people came up with for him were literally amazing. Yet Vinnie T comes in and has basically the same year and it is a common board trend to classify him as terrible and laugh about it.

For whatever reason, there are certain players that a contingent of the board latches on to, overvalues and refuses to criticize.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
dang we still talking about crankcase ... there must be some of his fans in need of therapy

JPM

Reaction score
junk said:
I'll never understand the love.

During his hey day, if anyone criticized him (even if it was valid), they were literally attacked by his supporters. In his eyes, he could do wrong. Any criticism was eventually called out as racism in an under the table type of way. It got real old, real quick.

The excuses that people came up with for him were literally amazing. Yet Vinnie T comes in and has basically the same year and it is a common board trend to classify him as terrible and laugh about it.

For whatever reason, there are certain players that a contingent of the board latches on to, overvalues and refuses to criticize.

:bow: :bow:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Just had to tell ya.... your sig has some skills....
:bow:

It's Brainpaint, YoMick, Brainpaint...:)

This thread went into Carter territory, when the comment really says more about Bill than about Quincy.

Hate to open that other can of worms, but I couldn't help feeling a twinge that Parcells never seemed to have developed that special affinity with Drew Henson he has had with so many of his qbs....Simms, Bledsoe, Testaverde, Carter, apparently Romo, even and especially a QB the talent level of Ray Lucas, whom he let 'fool around' as the scout team qb for years, while Ray was actually his special teams ace.

And then there are the ones he flat out loathed and made no bones about loathing. For Neil O'Donnell, there wasn't even the veneer of civility. In fact, it was thinly veiled disgust. I won't even go near that Mirer creature from Notre Dame who wrecked Tuna's 99 season after Testaverde got hurt. He's lucky Bill let him get out of Dodge alive.

I wonder what it is..because it's NOT just about high talent for Bill..he worked assiduously with players the level of Q, and a few notches lower with a Glenn Foley, or with an ultimate long shot like Lucas, and he was able to keep more than one 'relationship' perking at the same time.

I guess we will never know why Drew and Bill didn't 'click'...but with Parcells, gruff as he is, cut-throat professional tho he has to be, the affinity bond seems to have to be there, and I guess this time it just wasn't.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
dang we still talking about crankcase ... there must be some crankcase fans in need of therapy

This coming from a guy with a dragon hitting the pipe in his avatar. People never cease to amaze me, they talk as if they are unflawed, the man made a mistake, people do that, even the best of them.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
4lifecowboy said:
This coming from a guy with a dragon hitting the pipe in his avatar. People never cease to amaze me, they talk as if they are unflawed, the man made a mistake, people do that, even the best of them.

what? (and leave Puff(the dragon) alone:angryno:) it isn't crankcase whom I am dogging it is the fans that can't get over him..... like....who :nana:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'll never understand all the hate for Quincy Carter.

The mods put stickies up to stop the hate for Drew Henson after the fact, but I guess it's accepted to bash Carter. Carter was drafted a few rounds too early, unexpectedly thrown to the wolves as a starter before he was ready, introduced to pro football by a terrible head coach in one of the worse run organizations until Bill took over, and under the spotlight of the most intense football media in the nation.

It's a freaking wonder the kid didn't blow his brains out his rookie year. It's amazing what he was able to accomplish under Parcells.

TruBlueCowboy said:
We did the exact same thing when Carter was released.

Naturally that is forgotten and the persecution of him mounts. :rolleyes:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
It's Brainpaint, YoMick, Brainpaint...:)

This thread went into Carter territory, when the comment really says more about Bill than about Quincy.

Hate to open that other can of worms, but I couldn't help feeling a twinge that Parcells never seemed to have developed that special affinity with Drew Henson he has had with so many of his qbs....Simms, Bledsoe, Testaverde, Carter, apparently Romo, even and especially a QB the talent level of Ray Lucas, whom he let 'fool around' as the scout team qb for years, while Ray was actually his special teams ace.

And then there are the ones he flat out loathed and made no bones about loathing. For Neil O'Donnell, there wasn't even the veneer of civility. In fact, it was thinly veiled disgust. I won't even go near that Mirer creature from Notre Dame who wrecked Tuna's 99 season after Testaverde got hurt. He's lucky Bill let him get out of Dodge alive.

I wonder what it is..because it's NOT just about high talent for Bill..he worked assiduously with players the level of Q, and a few notches lower with a Glenn Foley, or with an ultimate long shot like Lucas, and he was able to keep more than one 'relationship' perking at the same time.

I guess we will never know why Drew and Bill didn't 'click'...but with Parcells, gruff as he is, cut-throat professional tho he has to be, the affinity bond seems to have to be there, and I guess this time it just wasn't.

Thanks for the kudos.

About your post, don't forget to mention Hutch.

I don't think Tuna ever cared for him, even before the "what's my role" situation came up.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hostile said:
We did the exact same thing when Carter was released.

Naturally that is forgotten and the persecution of him mounts. :rolleyes:

****this disclaimer****

is for 4lifecowboy
(I am not dogging on crankcase... but who.... :nana:)

****now back to the post****

I have been waiting to hear how he walked on water and cured the blind and turned sand into coke

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was happy to see him released and was ready to move on without him.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lanecity1975 said:
ding ding!!!

lights flashing!!!!!!

sirens wailing!!!!!!!!!

tell him what he's won johnny!!!!

A lifetime Supply of "LOL"s !!!

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I'm not surprised. Developing a QB is hard work. Bill had done a lot with Quincy. I think he genuinelly liked him, and he had just led the team into the playoffs. It was an unfortunate situation, and I have always believed that cut set this team back about two years.

yes....we had to watch Vinni.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
that doesn't suprise me.

Carter had issues and cutting him meant not helping him with his issues which he was(if not is) in denial about. You can't help everyone and Carter wasn't ready for help but its tough to cut ties with a guy who needs help.

The guy did seem to work hard for Bill and drive the bus capably enough to get us to a playoff game.

Jerry gets a lot of grief for the draft pick but it was not a talent evaluation problem, it was a mental issue. He has some serious problems and needs proper medication.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Thanks for the kudos.

You are most welcome. Of course, by now you know what I'm after.

j/k, BP. I know you're busy. :D

About your post, don't forget to mention Hutch.

I don't think Tuna ever cared for him, even before the "what's my role" situation came up.

I did forget poor Hutch!

Probably the best example of an elimination decision made (off tapes) before the contender even got warmed up.

I guess that one qualified as a T-KO, but I also believe getting one out of the way so the other could be concentrated on made a lot of sense, team building wise. Maybe that's all it came down to with Henson and Romo, after all. :)

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
When asked what the hardest cut he had to make to date in Dallas, Parcells responded "probably Quincy Carter" and that he was saddened by the whole situation.

Just thought it was an interesting question.

LarryCanadian
That's interesting, especially since we're two years removed from the Carter incident, but only 2 weeks have past since the release of the best Dallascowboys QB prospect since Troy Aikman.:confused:

Perfect example of why perception amongst fans and the mediots is rarely ever close to reality.:banghead:

p.s.I would have thought he'd say Keyshawn Johnson

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Charles said:
p.s.I would have thought he'd say Keyshawn Johnson

I think the difference was that he knew that he'd likely be ending Q's career -- teams around the league really respect Bill's opinion on young guys. Note how even a former 3rd rounder like Peterman hasn't been picked up yet -- even though at least 25 teams need interior line help.

With Key, he knew he'd get another shot and could pretty much play as long as he wanted to for decent money.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nice to see that it was failed to mention that BP then went onto say the year and a half it took on Quincy being the main reason, but I'm sure katr will spin it anyways

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
russ said:
Maybe Parcells isn't the big a--hole that everyone thinks he is. Maybe he was saddened that a guy with some talent smoked it away or snortted it up or whatever he did.

it's just Bill being his greedy, selfish self, all the time invested in Quincy...wasted

BIll, you big meany! ;)