Quinn Dilemma

FanofJerry

Reaction score
What in the world does any of this have to do with confidence? What "lies" are you talking about?

Confidence is something most people (apparently not 'all' people) experience at least sometimes in their lives. They feel it, they recognize it, and they know it's a good thing. Nobody has ever experienced Santa Clause.

Ok. Do you have to manipulate or control people when you "feel" you have it? What does it have to do with winning? More androids/bots/cyborgs/humans will follow you? Ok.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
An alpha isn’t necessarily someone that leads… it is a guy that people naturally follow. They are guys that people look up to and don’t want to disappoint or let down.

When Ray Lewis told a team mate “Stay in this gap and do not let the ball come through here”, I guarantee you the last thing that player was going to want is to lose gap integrity. Not because he was afraid of any repercussions, but because he did not want to be the guy to let Lewis down.

An alpha, IMO is a guy that people follow because they’re leading by example.

I don’t know, it isn’t something that is easy to put into words but I know it if I see it. And IMO, they are very good to have on your team. I don’t think they’re necessary, but they help solidify a team and absolutely can make a difference.

That’s just my opinion though.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok. Do you have to manipulate or control people when you "feel" you have it? What does it have to do with winning? More androids/bots/cyborgs/humans will follow you? Ok.
No. Confidence isn't about manipulating or controlling people. In the context of playing football, it's about believing in yourself. In the context of coaching, it's believing in yourself enough to organize the people you're coaching, and help them succeed by giving them the best possible game plan and teaching them. Of course there are some who abuse their power, but that's not due to having confidence. In fact, that's usually due to insecurities and the need to step on others to build themselves up.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I dont know. It just seems over the top to me in most cases.

Needing a hype-man is necessary I suppose.

Guess Im wrong on this one.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Let me try and illustrate one more scenario to explain my position on this...and its not apples to apples:

A few years ago Chip Kelly was interviewed while Head Coaching the Eagles...he was asked about yelling at players(using fear to motivate them) and he said "thats Harry High School stuff" and that he doesnt think that make since in the NFL with guys being adults. Basically he was implying that the guys lose their jobs if they dont perform. And I kind of agree with this approach. You want to know there is someone there and caring about your success....but making your day in and day out life miserable because a coach is taking it too far is another thing.

I think this applies here so to speak. Fear and Confidence dont really motivate the adult as much...its a sideshow when this isnt your first rodeo.