Quinn Dilemma

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I think you may have the wrong idea about what an Alpha male is. It doesn't necessarily mean he has to be a DBag.

An alpha male is a man who is highly intelligent, confident, and successful. Alpha males are generally considered great leaders and prefer to be in positions of power. Common traits alpha males possess include: Being in a position of power. Being comfortable with high levels of responsibility.

Whatever. Control freaks are d-bags. Who likes ordering people around...and for what? And...whats the reward for following a d-bag like that around?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whatever. Control freaks are d-bags. Who likes ordering people around...and for what? And...whats the reward for following a d-bag like that around?
They don't necessarily like "ordering people around". Some of them simply have confidence and ability to be in charge, and why would you put anyone in charge who doesn't have those traits? Those are the people who get **** done, and help put out the best possible product, whatever product that may be. You make it sound like you think they're all bullies. Bullies aren't Alphas. Bullies are usually insecure and lashing out to try to feel better about themselves by putting others down.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
They don't necessarily like "ordering people around". Some of them simply have confidence and ability to be in charge, and why would you put anyone in charge who doesn't have those traits? Those are the people who get **** done, and help put out the best possible product, whatever product that may be. You make it sound like you think they're all bullies. Bullies aren't Alphas. Bullies are usually insecure and lashing out to try to feel better about themselves by putting others down.

Nah...confidence is just that...its confidence. It doesnt breed results or right or wrong. A coach can be confident but fail...doesnt mean hes great because hes confident lol.

I just dont put any value in the confidence angle. Its literally nothing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nah...confidence is just that...its confidence. It doesnt breed results or right or wrong. A coach can be confident but fail...doesnt mean hes great because hes confident lol.

I just dont put any value in the confidence angle. Its literally nothing.
How much quality do you think you'd get from someone who lacks confidence, particularly someone who's there to lead other men? I'm not saying confidence is all you need, but without it, you'd have a Hell of a time succeeding.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
How much quality do you think you'd get from someone who lacks confidence, particularly someone who's there to lead other men? I'm not saying confidence is all you need, but without it, you'd have a Hell of a time succeeding.

Im not going down this rabbit hole. Confidence is nothing more than a word. If youre into looking at people/bots/cyborgs as mindless sheep that need to be steered by "confidence"...Im not trying to change your opinion.

Im simply stating that confidence has no direct correlation to winning or being right. Its a false hope to get you to maybe do something...which is even then debatable on if the objective was even worth it(think war). But still comes down to tricking people into doing something...which you call "getting stuff done".

A leader can lead you to slaughter...does that mean hes a great leader for fooling you?

I just dont get the constant erection with confidence.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Im not going down this rabbit hole. Confidence is nothing more than a word. If youre into looking at people/bots/cyborgs as mindless sheep that need to be steered by "confidence"...Im not trying to change your opinion.

Im simply stating that confidence has no direct correlation to winning or being right. Its a false hope to get you to maybe do something...which is even then debatable on if the objective was even worth it(think war). But still comes down to tricking people into doing something...which you call "getting stuff done".

A leader can lead you to slaughter...does that mean hes a great leader for fooling you?

I just dont get the constant erection with confidence.
I'm fairly confident that you're the first person I've ever met who didn't see the obvious advantage confidence has over ambiguity. Overconfidence or cockiness is usually a bad thing, but confidence is an absolute necessity in a leader. Name one general who ever one a battle by being unsure of himself.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I'm fairly confident that you're the first person I've ever met who didn't see the obvious advantage confidence has over ambiguity. Overconfidence or cockiness is usually a bad thing, but confidence is an absolute necessity in a leader. Name one general who ever one a battle by being unsure of himself.

Again...im not following some General if he doesnt make sense. I dont look at others as entities I need to trick or manipulate into doing something.

Confidence has no relationship with being smart.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Again...im not following some General if he doesnt make sense. I dont look at others as entities I need to trick or manipulate into doing something.

Confidence has no relationship with being smart.
I never said it did. But the best leaders, and the best players (or soldiers) are both confident and smart. Confidence can be misplaced, for sure (see Dunning Kruger Effect), but all the intelligence in the world is useless without the self confidence to apply it. Name a great football player or coach who doesn't have confidence. I doubt very much that you can.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I never said it did. But the best leaders, and the best players (or soldiers) are both confident and smart. Confidence can be misplaced, for sure (see Dunning Kruger Effect), but all the intelligence in the world is useless without the self confidence to apply it. Name a great football player or coach who doesn't have confidence. I doubt very much that you can.

It seems like you have latched on to the "smart" word.

That is what I am saying is the key to everything...not confidence. Which one would you prefer if you had to choose one? Choose one...dont claim they have to be entangled.

Havic

Reaction score
Quinn gets alot of the credit and rightfully so but dont be sleeping on George Edwards.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It seems like you have latched on to the "smart" word.

That is what I am saying is the key to everything...not confidence. Which one would you prefer if you had to choose one? Choose one...dont claim they have to be entangled.
I didn't "latch on" to "smart". It's self evident that to be successful as a coach or as a player, one has to be smart (as it applies to his job). But he also has to believe in himself. It's not a one or the other situation. How well is the nerdy, nervous, smart kid in school going to coach the football team?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I didn't "latch on" to "smart". It's self evident that to be successful as a coach or as a player, one has to be smart (as it applies to his job). But he also has to believe in himself. It's not a one or the other situation. How well is the nerdy, nervous, smart kid in school going to coach the football team?

You have to let him give his sales pitch. Are you not because he is a nerd?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Heres the thing...I think confidence works a little in situations like one on one fighting. In a team setting...it seems like it might only work when youre trying to defend the Alamo(50 vs 10,000). Everything would have to go perfect with a smart plan...or your team is just toast. That usually doesnt pan out...everything going as planned. is just not the common.

In a sport like NFL with cap limits and parody(sp)...confidence doesnt mean squat...smarts do. I think all NFL players will tell you the same thing. Its about the game plan and monday-saturday prep...not "confidence". Confidence "MIGHT" help if you are in the playoffs and Prescott is injured and the only way to win is telling Cooper HE HAS TO BE CONFIDENT IN THROWING INTO TIGHT WINDOWS FOR US TO WIN...ITS THE ONLY WAY. But again...thats a rare unique situation. And even in this scenario...it has nothing to do with confidence but everything to do with just throwing into tight windows...not confidence. You have to do it.

Im not saying confidence is all out bad...just saying its not really needed in most organized situations.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You have to let him give his sales pitch. Are you not because he is a nerd?
It's not a matter of "Am I going to let him?". It's a matter of "Does he have the confidence to do it?", and if he does it, will he have the conviction to instill the belief of success in the people he's trying to convince? Probably not. A confident person doesn't need you to "let him". The combination of hearing what sounds like a sensible plan, backed by the sureness of a confident alpha is what inspires.

Think of every halftime speech you've ever heard. If it had been delivered in a tone that says, "I'm not sure if I'm right..." who's going to get hyped up to finish the game?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It's not a matter of "Am I going to let him?". It's a matter of "Does he have the confidence to do it?", and if he does it, will he have the conviction to instill the belief of success in the people he's trying to convince? Probably not. A confident person doesn't need you to "let him". The combination of hearing what sounds like a sensible plan, backed by the sureness of a confident alpha is what inspires.

Think of every halftime speech you've ever heard. If it had been delivered in a tone that says, "I'm not sure if I'm right..." who's going to get hyped up to finish the game?

Sorry...but at some point you realize Santa Clause isnt real. Just like confidence.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh, I see! You don't know what it's like to have confidence. No wonder you don't believe in it!

I dont care for lies...and then moving the goal posts to what were lies are then all the sudden real. Why lie? is Santa real or not? So far I suspect hes a made up lie....but if you want to move the goal posts and all the sudden make him real...defying all science I was ever taught which therefore proves your selling horse manure to youngs kids in school...by all means be into that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dont care for lies...and then moving the goal posts to what were lies are then all the sudden real. Why lie? is Santa real or not? So far I suspect hes a made up lie....but if you want to move the goal posts and all the sudden make him real...defying all science I was ever taught which therefore proves your selling horse manure to youngs kids in school...by all means be into that.
What in the world does any of this have to do with confidence? What "lies" are you talking about?

Confidence is something most people (apparently not 'all' people) experience at least sometimes in their lives. They feel it, they recognize it, and they know it's a good thing. Nobody has ever experienced Santa Clause.