Quinn now key to FA success

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
So you think Lawrence is hands down better than Mack and Watt?

No. I dont think Mack and Watt specifically play LE in a 4-3. They aren't in the group I was comparing DLaw to.

Even if I'm wrong about it you're zeroing in on a piece of what I said but my point is that Quinn and DLaw dont play the same position, my point isn't Dlaw's position ranking.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn's pretty important if Gregory is out for any time at all. He's probably an upgrade to Gregory, he definitely lets us keep the pass rush fresh, and he's downside protection against an injury, a long term suspension, or not being able to get a deal done for Lawrence (we'll get Lawrence signed, though). If we have everybody active and available, and draft a DT in round 2 or 3, we've significantly upgraded depth and the DL rotation on an already good defense. That's a big deal.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No. I dont think Mack and Watt specifically play LE in a 4-3. They aren't in the group I was comparing DLaw to.

Even if I'm wrong about it you're zeroing in on a piece of what I said but my point is that Quinn and DLaw dont play the same position, my point isn't Dlaw's position ranking.
No i agree with you that Quinn and Lawrence don't play the same position. Mack was traded to the Bears and they play a 4-3. I was just saying Lawrence isn't the best LE and especially hands down.

I want both Quinn and Lawrence.

Reaction score
At this point in their careers Beasley and it's not close.

Hmm. I love Beasley, but he's a one trick pony IMO. He's never exceeded 5 TDs, and if you take out an outlier 2016 season (833 yards), he's averaged about 500 yards per season. From 2014-2017, Cobb scored 12, 6, 4, 4 TDs, respectively, and averaged over 600 yards per season. Yes, he had a better QB and a passing offense. And yes, last year he struggled with multiple injuries and concussions. But to say its "not close" is... well, not close to the truth.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Just to add to this conversation, I hope the intent IS to bring in Quinn AND get the Lawrence deal done soon !
Not only does he deserve his contract for the way he has conducted himself and his play on the field, but he needs that shoulder fixed.
Quinn would help this team and its rash of unreliable players, but he is in no way a replacement for Lawrence.
Nice added piece to the rotation, but nothing more than that.
For me, he would be the end of a very successful pre-draft free agency.
And deserving of a " that'll do pig, that'll do".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If you replace Lawrence with Quinn, this team will not be in playoffs.

Getting worse at 1 position should not be the end of the world.

Quinn is odd. 5.5 sacks in last 7 games, but only 1 sack in the prior 9.
Lawrence had 5 sacks in the last 14 games.

I know sacks aren't everything, but they're a lot. 5 sacks in 14 games is a sorry showing for a DE who is supposed to be a "premiere" pass rusher.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Getting Quinn is vital.

The Cowboys will miss out on all the top DE's in one of the deepest drafts at the position in recent memory. Randy Gregory is suspended for who knows how long. Tyrone Crawford is also facing potential punishment for his bar brawl; and even if it's only a one or two game thing he's truly a DT playing on the edge.

Taco Charlton may never be the player Dallas envisioned and Dorance Armstrong is still an unknown. I am a fan of the Kerry Hyder signing, but again, this is a flier pickup that may or may not work out.

Quinn, even though his best football is behind him, would be the starting RE opposite Lawrence and that would be superb for the Cowboys, The alternatives are just too risky for me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Getting Quinn is vital.

The Cowboys will miss out on all the top DE's in one of the deepest drafts at the position in recent memory. Randy Gregory is suspended for who knows how long. Tyrone Crawford is also facing potential punishment for his bar brawl; and even if it's only a one or two game thing he's truly a DT playing on the edge.

Taco Charlton may never be the player Dallas envisioned and Dorance Armstrong is still an unknown. I am a fan of the Kerry Hyder signing, but again, this is a flier pickup that may or may not work out.

Quinn, even though his best football is behind him, would be the starting RE opposite Lawrence and that would be superb for the Cowboys, The alternatives are just too risky for me.

Between Gregory, Lawrence, and Crawford, we've got problems at DE.

Every one of them could be here for the opening of the season.
Every one of them could be out for the opening of the season.

cowboyec

Reaction score
not if we sign DLaw....or draft a DE like Jaylon Ferguson...Austin Bryant....Charles Omenihu....Zach Allen....Anthony Nelson....or one of those TCU kids.
I want Quinn.....but our season don't hang on it.