Quinnen Williams: I feel like I'm going in the right direction

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Messages
115,628
Reaction score
151,581
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys DT Quinnen Williams: “I feel like I’m going in the right direction. I got a lot of things to grow on, a lot of things to do. Keep going in the right direction. I’m feeling good.

“… (Dak Prescott) is my guy. He’s balling. MVP quarterback to me. It raises the intensity on my side, on my mental, having a quarterback like that on the other side. Knowing that he’s gonna put up points, knowing that he’s gonna be out there on an MVP level, as a defensive captain, as a defensive leader, it’s super urgent to get better every single day.”
 
3e62e47206cf90df676eabdf50ead116.gif
 
Williams has turned it around the last two games and has been dominant at times, give him a break. Clarke has been pretty invisible all year, but the run defense has been better. Some is because the pass defense still sucks so teams just attack that. Last year teams could just exploit either one pretty much at any given time.

And for all the naysayers, Houston is supposed to be a dominant defense with one of the best coaches in Ryan and they never adjusted for Lamb. It happens to a lot of teams.
 
Yes. But its not his fault Jerry hired a coordinator who brought in a defense that is NOT catered to the DTs skillset.

Thats like hiring a auto mechanic to manage a 5 star restaurant. Thats not his skillset.
I think thats BS to be honest. Hes a football player and hes supposed to be an elite player he should be able to adapt to any system. Players change teams and systems in free agency all the time.

The sad fact is he just hasnt lived up to what we gave up for him.
 
Williams has turned it around the last two games and has been dominant at times, give him a break. Clarke has been pretty invisible all year, but the run defense has been better. Some is because the pass defense still sucks so teams just attack that. Last year teams could just exploit either one pretty much at any given time.

And for all the naysayers, Houston is supposed to be a dominant defense with one of the best coaches in Ryan and they never adjusted for Lamb. It happens to a lot of teams.
Really good post.

I too was critical of QW's performance the first 2 games. As you mentioned he has played well the last 2 games.

Although the defense is still bad at pass rush and run defense overall, at least QW seems to be doing his part at the first line to improve it.

Tiny baby steps I guess.

jmo
 
I think thats BS to be honest. Hes a football player and hes supposed to be an elite player he should be able to adapt to any system. Players change teams and systems in free agency all the time.

The sad fact is he just hasnt lived up to what we gave up for him.
Football doesn’t work that way though. It’s never black and white. There’s a reason many teams don’t do what the Cowboys do. No team changes schemes in what they call a “make or break year”….so no it’s not BS. You just have to look at what other contenders do. They don’t operate like Dallas does. I mean he got rid of his best edge rusher, top 5 to finally decide to address DT after years of failing at it.
 
I think thats BS to be honest. Hes a football player and hes supposed to be an elite player he should be able to adapt to any system. Players change teams and systems in free agency all the time.

The sad fact is he just hasnt lived up to what we gave up for him.
I'm with you but at least he's looked better the last 2 games compared to the first 2.
BUT I'm totally with you on the scheme crap.

At some point, just beat the guy in front of you especially with the contract he's been given.
 
I think thats BS to be honest. Hes a football player and hes supposed to be an elite player he should be able to adapt to any system. Players change teams and systems in free agency all the time.

The sad fact is he just hasnt lived up to what we gave up for him.

Well it may be BS to you but there are many former NFL defensive linemen on sports shows and podcasts that said the same thing that ive said. I didn't say it because I saw them say it, i just know a little bit about body types fitting certain schemes.

Im not saying what you said is wrong either, you're absolutely right that certain players should be able to adjust.

Q and Clark came from predominantly 4-3 schemes i believe, and in that scheme, the DTs play a more attacking style and these two were very good at it.

In the traditional 3-4 style, usually you have bigger defensive linemen who's job is to soak up blockers so that the linebackers can make plays. That's not what made Q and Clark who they are.

Again, I definitely don't know it all and have never served as a defensive coordinator, but I know a little bit about the big boys roles. Im always open to be corrected and further educated about these roles, im man enough to admit that.
 
Yes. But its not his fault Jerry hired a coordinator who brought in a defense that is NOT catered to the DTs skillset.

Thats like hiring a auto mechanic to manage a 5 star restaurant. Thats not his skillset.
Horrible analogy.

You do not hire a DC to scheme around one player only. If the player is that good, he will adapt. Q is adapting.
 
I don't think he has the coordinator to maximize his ability. He's too busy daydreaming at the secondary.
 
Q and Clark came from predominantly 4-3 schemes i believe, and in that scheme, the DTs play a more attacking style and these two were very good at it.
Clark played 9 seasons in Green Bay of which 8 were in a 3-4 scheme
Williams played in the 3-4 throughout his college career and 50% of his time with the Jets
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
476,233
Messages
14,673,900
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top