"Almost" Anthony Spencer Got Better Yesterday

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ren;4531815 said:
Let's just for fun say Spencer ends up with 4-5 more sacks this year due to better coverage

Do we give him credit for that or is it all of a sudden a team game again so we don't need to give him any credit?

We just need him to step up and start making plays consistently instead of not even knowing he's on the team.

burmafrd

Reaction score
cobra;4531637 said:
So Tuck and JPP are the gold standard model for the Cowboys should because of their elite pass rushing that can get it done on their own?

Ok, let's see....

2011 Season Sack Totals

JPP = 16.5 Ware = 19.5 [Cowboys +3]
Tuck = 5.0 Spencer = 6.0 [Cowboys +1]

Maybe the problem is that our guys are getting more sacks than those guys. We should cut back in order to follow their amazing blueprint.

or maybe the problem is when they got those sacks. LIKE WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED.

alpha

Reaction score
cobra;4531637 said:
So Tuck and JPP are the gold standard model for the Cowboys should because of their elite pass rushing that can get it done on their own?

Ok, let's see....

2011 Season Sack Totals

Maybe the problem is that our guys are getting more sacks than those guys. We should cut back in order to follow their amazing blueprint.

Why use Tuck for this comparison when Osi had 9 sacks for NY last year?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Maybe this makes Spencer better if he looks at Jenkins and it makes him realize that if you don't work insanely hard to develop your craft, Dallas has no problem upgrading at your position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4531538 said:
Oh, so now we're brothers huh?

j/k

I know yesterday had to be one of your worst nightmares. CB in a trade up. I'm sure you like the talent, but not the price and especially given other needs.

Well, we where the same colors, whether you like it or not.

I think that's fair what you said. I'd put Claiborne among the top 5 or so CB prospects of the last ten years. I know I'll have to defend my stance here when he turns out to be a good player. People will forget what I'm saying and act like I expected him to bust.

I just don't see the impact. We are dangerously close to Phil Costa starting at C and Nate Livings and MacKenzie Bernadeau starting at the G spots. If that happens, we have no chance whatsoever to win anything. You can drop down to a knee and remind Romo while he's laid out on his back that Morris Claiborne for 1st and 2nd round picks was Romo friendly.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cobra;4531637 said:

Ok, let's see....

2011 Season Sack Totals

The problem with that is Osi Umenyiora played a ton and netted 9 more sacks.

Still want to compare?

Zordon

Reaction score
I really hate Mara right now. Whether Jerry admits it or not, I feel that prevented us from getting Grubbs and making this Claiborne pick 100x better.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
CATCH17;4531842 said:
We just need him to step up and start making plays consistently instead of not even knowing he's on the team.

This. I've never even been concerned with Spencer's sack numbers, or even his QB pressures.

My beef has always been with him being seemingly unable to sniff out play-action plays, and too often crashing down the line of scrimmage and giving up outside contain, which is what he's supposed to do as SOLB.

Ware as WOLB can do that - his primary responsibility is to make something happen in the backfield. Not the same for Spencer - he's supposed to set the edge and basically turn the play inside. Too often guys reverse field and have 15-20 yards to run on Spencer's side.

If he can fix that part of his game, we'll be in remarkably good shape, and he'll earn every penny of that $8.8M, or more if he gets a longterm deal.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
CATCH17;4531751 said:
And is consistent pressuring the QB.

With D Ware opposite of him and the position he plays he shouldn't be as much of a disappearing act as he is.

These guys will defend him in April but during the season the same peole defending him won't make a peep.

Pressuring the qb isn't the concern hence the title...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hostile;4531404 said:
We've talked about how Anthony Spencer is "almost" getting there. With the tighter coverage we can now play, he should get there.

The fact of the matter is that last year it did not matter how quick you got to the QB, our CB's could not cover for 2 seconds most of the time. It really was that bad. I have no problem with this pick and trade at all.

Saying that, if I were the STeelers I would be happier than I am with the deal we got. They got great value at the position they were in - kind of how we did with Dez a couple of years ago

Zordon

Reaction score
aikemirv;4532251 said:
The fact of the matter is that last year it did not matter how quick you got to the QB, our CB's could not cover for 2 seconds most of the time. It really was that bad. I have no problem with this pick and trade at all.

Saying that, if I were the STeelers I would be happier than I am with the deal we got. They got great value at the position they were in - kind of how we did with Dez a couple of years ago
I disagree wholeheartedly. There were times last season when opposing qb's were sitting back there all day, drinking a cup of tea in a very clean pocket waiting for their receivers to get open.

this not a chicken or egg argument. both parts of the defense were a huge deficiency last season. I prefer fixing the front line, but since there wasn't a JJ Watt type of end or Ngata type of NT this year, I'm ok with making the cornerbacks elite.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
burmafrd;4531839 said:
seriously do YOU watch the rest of the NFL.

Spencer got 3 sacks in his first 3 games.

Then took 13 more to get the next 3.

Think about that for a moment; that is not a stud; and frankly even three more sacks would not make him a stud.

Im not gonna say it, but how many SOLB's do you know that average 9 or 10 sacks a year?

Im glad some of you arn't our GM.. even as bad as Jerry can be sometimes, lol.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4532381 said:
Im not gonna say it, but how many SOLB's do you know that average 9 or 10 sacks a year?

Im glad some of you arn't our GM.. even as bad as Jerry can be sometimes, lol.

:laugh2:

:bow:

fortdick

Reaction score
jzcowboy;4531590 said:
That's just it, they're not using a crutch, they're getting it done on their own.

Can someone link a Giant forum for these guys to go to. I am sick of their worship of the Giants pass rush.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;4531797 said:
The Cowboys wanted Aldon Smith just last year.

I'd cool off on defending a guy that the Cowboys would most likely love to upgrade from.

This is a defense of Spencer?

Damn, I thought it was a maybe.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4532229 said:

I think that's fair what you said. I'd put Claiborne among the top 5 or so CB prospects of the last ten years. I know I'll have to defend my stance here when he turns out to be a good player. People will forget what I'm saying and act like I expected him to bust.

I just don't see the impact. We are dangerously close to Phil Costa starting at C and Nate Livings and MacKenzie Bernadeau starting at the G spots. If that happens, we have no chance whatsoever to win anything. You can drop down to a knee and remind Romo while he's laid out on his back that Morris Claiborne for 1st and 2nd round picks was Romo friendly.
I have not moved from my OL hopes.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4532503 said:
I have not moved from my OL hopes.

But they're kinda gone now. You're not getting any of your OL hopes at 81.

Maybe you might get Philip Blake in the 3rd or 4th.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Hostile;4531404 said:
We've talked about how Anthony Spencer is "almost" getting there. With the tighter coverage we can now play, he should get there.

How much of a chance will he get, though?

The team has talked up Victor Butler in a pass rushing role more than once this off-season.

Spencer needs to ride the pine on passing downs and focus primarily on defending the run.

Playing fewer snaps might also make him a better player, IMO.

Demarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff are overworked, too.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Risen Star;4532229 said:

Your right because Kosier on one leg, Dockery and Holland being out of shape and hurt and Costa being green as grass being able to score that many points was just an abberation.

Livings and Bernadeau won't get blown off the ball at least.

Zordon

Reaction score
Bluefin;4532592 said:
How much of a chance will he get, though?

The team has talked up Victor Butler in a pass rushing role more than once this off-season.

Spencer needs to ride the pine on passing downs and focus primarily on defending the run.

Playing fewer snaps might also make him a better player, IMO.

Demarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff are overworked, too.
i think victor butler is the most overrated player on this roster. he had one decent preseason a couple of years ago and has done very little sense. 8 sacks in his career. i understand he hasn't had many opportunities, but even when he does play i don't see that dynamic pass rusher in him.