"Almost" Anthony Spencer Got Better Yesterday

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
We've talked about how Anthony Spencer is "almost" getting there. With the tighter coverage we can now play, he should get there.

Ren

Reaction score
Still need to push the pocket up the middle or he'll keep overshooting the QB when they step up

Mash

Reaction score
Hostile;4531404 said:
We've talked about how Anthony Spencer is "almost" getting there. With the tighter coverage we can now play, he should get there.

Sorry to inform you Hos but some here think that this cant be true....The Giants set the blueprint.....you can have scrubs in the secondary but as long as you have a pass rushing front 4.....you will win.

Im with you....picking up a elite CB makes everyone better.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
the-little-train-that-could.jpg

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;4531404 said:

Unless Spencer has an attitude change he'll always be an almost guy.

He is usually one of the first guys to quit though and the exact kind of player I don't want here.

jzcowboy

Reaction score
I really disagree with this. Spencer needs to get to the quarterback using his 1st round talent. Somebody of that pedigree shouldn't need a crutch.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
jzcowboy;4531502 said:
I really disagree with this. Spencer needs to get to the quarterback using his 1st round talent. Somebody of that pedigree shouldn't need a crutch.

Then why did the Giants use a first rounder on a CB last year? JPP and Tuck shouldn't need that crutch either.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
jzcowboy;4531502 said:

I am not sure there are many SOLB that can get to the QB regularly without coverage behind them.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Spencer would get even better if Dallas can still grab a DE or Safety tonight.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4531431 said:
Oh, brother.
Oh, so now we're brothers huh?

j/k

I know yesterday had to be one of your worst nightmares. CB in a trade up. I'm sure you like the talent, but not the price and especially given other needs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
jzcowboy;4531502 said:

Hos is hitting the nail on the head...only allowing readers to arrive at the actually implied role. Instead of having to first defense against the run and then drop into coverage, due to the deteriorated coverage by what amounted to a questionably elusive secondary as well as a pair of poor coverage linebackers in James and Brooking.

Perhaps, as Hos infered, Spencer can now pin his own ears back, just as does DeMarcus Ware, and start blowing harder as well...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hostile;4531538 said:
Oh, so now we're brothers huh?

j/k

I know yesterday had to be one of your worst nightmares. CB in a trade up. I'm sure you like the talent, but not the price and especially given other needs.

Hos, don't give him middle ground escapes...that would be like saying one would like two Browns instead of a single Deion Sanders.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
CATCH17;4531440 said:
Unless Spencer has an attitude change he'll always be an almost guy.

He is usually one of the first guys to quit though and the exact kind of player I don't want here.

That's complete bs.. but don't let that get in the way of what you want to believe.

slick325

Reaction score
Mash;4531425 said:
Sorry to inform you Hos but some here think that this cant be true....The Giants set the blueprint.....you can have scrubs in the secondary but as long as you have a pass rushing front 4.....you will win.

Im with you....picking up a elite CB makes everyone better.

Mash, the best part of the "Giants set the blueprint.....you can have scrubs in your secondary but as long as you have a pass rushing front 4.....you will win" crowd is they neglect to research or admit just how much the Giants invest in their secondary. Let's see....Corey Webster was a 2nd round pick in 2005, Aaron Ross (who left in free agency this offseason) was a 1st round pick in 2007, Terrell Thomas was a 2nd round pick the following year of 2008, Kenny Phillips (safety) drafted in the 1st round of 2008, Antrel Rolle drafted in the 1st round by Arizona in 2005 signed a 5yr $37mil contract in 2010 with the Giants to play FS, and finally Prince Amukamara drafted in the 1st round of 2011.

That is called a HEAVY investment in the secondary my friends. This seems to get overlooked so often. The Giants secondary does not consist of as many scrubs as we are led to believe....they aren't all Pro Bowlers but they are not scrubs.

CB was a need and getting the #1 consensus defensive player in this draft is not a bad thing for a team that needs defensive help. Today and tomorrow hopefully Dallas addresses Center, DE, WR, TE, etc. Until then.....how can you be mad at the Claiborne pick?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Have to laugh at those that think he will magically become a stud in the pass rush.

I think he should get a few more sacks a year. With the secondary covering longer a LOT of our players should be getting a few more sacks a year.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
CCBoy;4531545 said:
snipped...........

Perhaps, as Hos infered, Spencer can now pin his own ears back, just as does DeMarcus Ware, and start blowing harder as well...

And let the tight end/fullback slip into the flat and gain the first down?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
CATCH17;4531440 said:
He is usually one of the first guys to quit though

Awww, jeez. Not this stupid crap again.

This is a complete and total myth. Absolute BS. Message-board created garbage.

Spencer is the opposite of what you describe. After pass rushing, he frequently turns around and chases back up field, and this led to a couple turnovers last year.

Oh, and the great improvement for Spencer--Baby-arm Ingram--fell to 18 and will have a less productive season than Spencer.

Spencer is a good player. An elite run defender and an above average pass rusher (yes, that is a matter demonstrable fact).

It was plainly obvious that the problem with our defense last year was not the pressure but the inability to play press and man coverage that allowed WRs to be open too quickly.

jzcowboy

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4531514 said:
Then why did the Giants use a first rounder on a CB last year? JPP and Tuck shouldn't need that crutch either.
That's just it, they're not using a crutch, they're getting it done on their own.