"Coolest" helmets of all-time

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
My coolest helmet list in no particular order:

NFL_Rams.gif

I always liked this design of a rams horn. It is more creative for a helmet than any picture of a ram would have been.

NFL_49ers_OLD2.gif

Why is a 49ers helmet silver? Who knows, but their helmets were silver for four years before anyone noticed that the 49ers mined for gold during the California Gold Rush and then changed the color. Still a decent looking helmet though. Reminds me of the Buckeyes.

NFL_Bengals.gif

Count me in with the group that likes the 'tiger stripes" on the helmet. As with the rams horns, it is more creative than simply putting a bengal on the helmet. I am partial though, because the tiger is my favorite animal. The only knock against this helmet is that most bengal designs are more like spots than stripes.

NFL_Oilers1.gif
NFL_Oilers6.gif

Something about that powder blue always made the Oilers a fun team to watch, even though their teams were crappy for the most part.

NFL_Bills_OLD7.gif

This helmet always made me think of a buffalo being chased by a hunter and then jumping in the air while getting shot in the head and leaving a blood trail as his body dashed through the air. Why would somebody want a picture of their mascot getting shot on their helmet?

NFL_Redskins_OLD2.gif

Wait a minute...how dare I pay tribute to a Commanders helmet on a Cowboys forum? Truth is, I was a Cowboys and a Commanders fan as a child before I was old enough to know what the rivalry was all about. I loved playing with the little cowboys and indian figurines. When my dad first introduced me to football at the age of 3, I thought it was the coolest thing to see the Cowboys and Commanders playing. I fell in love with the Cowboys that day. Anyway, this helmet was always cool to me and made their uniforms pretty bad arse.

NFL_Cowboys.gif

Of course, no helmet list is complete without the Cowboys. To continue on my story from the Commanders section, it was just something about that star against the silver helmet that drew me to the Cowboys. That in conjunction with the cowboys always winning in my make-believe cowboy/indian battles made me partial to liking the Cowboys more. Funny story, I never knew the star was blue until we finally got color TV some years later.

NFL's ugliest helmets in no particular order:

NFL_Eagles_2007.gif

Not sure exactly what the Eagles were thinking with this one. Maybe they wanted to hurt the other team's eyes and give themselves an advantage. It must have worked, because they won that game pretty big.

NFL_Redskins_OLD3.gif

Another ugly yellow helmet. This one makes me think of hotdogs.

NFL_Cardinals_OLD1.gif

This is the 1960's Cardinals helmet. That's some pretty lazy designing right there.

NFL_Broncos_OLD3.gif
NFL_Broncos_OLD4.gif

This is probably the ugliest of them all. The bronco looks like it just came face to face with the grim reaper for horses and is stopped dead in his tracks while shrieking. Not exactly the image you want for a team trying to put fear in the other teams' heart. And those colors are plain ugly.

NFL_Browns_OLD2.gif

Never was a fan of the Browns helmet. this one always fell into the lazy category with me. Why is the helmet orange anyway? Should the helmet at the very least be plain brown?

playmakers

Reaction score
I was watching the Jets - Dolphin game from 94 last night on NFL network. The Jets should of kept those helmets. They werent flashy but to me it was better than the one they have now. I like the old school Giants as well.

I still say the Houston Oiler logo/helmet is sweet looking. The Cowboys are up there as well. Alot of people like the old Patriot logo too.

links18

Reaction score
1. Dallas Cowboys Silver helmet (how can it not be #1?)
2. Raiders (Another Classic)
3. Old-skool Bills (great helmet)
4. Saints (How the fleur-de-lis didn't make the list is beyond me)
5. Oilers (I can't understand why Houston didn't just buy the Oiler's logo from the Titans, instead of having to create a totally new team with no history)
6. Minnesota Vikings (never could quite figure out what those things on their helmets were when I was a kid)
7. Toronto Argonauts (Canadian classic)
8. Old-skool Browns (The ones with the numbers on the side)
9. The original Ravens helmet
10. old-skool Montreal Alouettes (another classic from North of the border)
11. The green Jets helmet (this helmet is now looks retro compared to what they are sporting now).