"Nothing matters until January"

parchy

Reaction score
Do you like this idea? That the everything that happens from now til our first playoff game (hopefully at home in the second round) is just posturing until the real season starts?

I've thought about it and I think our position last year was ideal. We were a top team without the burden of this season's expectations. With this team especially, I'm not at all comfortable with all this stuff about how anything less than a SB is a failure, because it'll mean that you can't necessarily appreciate a great season unless it's outstanding. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be atop the power rankings everywhere, but it does make me itchy thinking about January.

It's also worrisome because there are teams in the NFC that could definitely challenge, and we might not get an accurate shot at the Iggles again until the playoffs because I bet our season is wrapped by Week 17... and we'll see how much of a challenger the Pack are this Sunday, and then there's the Giants.

So what do you think? Would you rather have the burden of being the team that "has" to win the SB or else, or the solid challenger without much pressure. The latter didn't work for us, so maybe the former will, who knows.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
parchy;2269402 said:
Do you like this idea? That the everything that happens from now til our first playoff game (hopefully at home in the second round) is just posturing until the real season starts?

I've thought about it and I think our position last year was ideal. We were a top team without the burden of this season's expectations. With this team especially, I'm not at all comfortable with all this stuff about how anything less than a SB is a failure, because it'll mean that you can't necessarily appreciate a great season unless it's outstanding. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be atop the power rankings everywhere, but it does make me itchy thinking about January.

It's also worrisome because there are teams in the NFC that could definitely challenge, and we might not get an accurate shot at the Iggles again until the playoffs because I bet our season is wrapped by Week 17... and we'll see how much of a challenger the Pack are this Sunday, and then there's the Giants.

So what do you think? Would you rather have the burden of being the team that "has" to win the SB or else, or the solid challenger without much pressure. The latter didn't work for us, so maybe the former will, who knows.

I guess I'm taking Romo additude, I love the game too much to look that far down the road. I think it still important to win now to help set yourself up for the post season and I would still rather have 2 playoff games ahead of us instead of 3 as a Wildcard team. For me right now I'm going to enjoy the ride and worry about the playoffs when they get here

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I enjoy every Sunday, so it all matters to me. I think this is just certain people's way of not giving credit to the Cowboys for being as good as they are.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2269416 said:
I enjoy every Sunday, so it all matters to me. I think this is just certain people's way of not giving credit to the Cowboys for being as good as they are.

This is just what I was going to say.

It seems that it's some people's way of being dismissive of Dallas' accomplishments during the season.

The season's too short as it is, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Team goals should be as follows:

1. Win the division
2. Secure bye in the playoffs
3. Secure home field though out playoffs
4. Win NFCE
5. Win SB

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2269416 said:
:rolleyes: when January comes people will find out how good or bad we really are.

VACowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;2269420 said:
This is just what I was going to say.

It seems that it's some people's way of being dismissive of Dallas' accomplishments during the season.

The season's too short as it is, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Exactly.

According to the media, Dallas can only be judged in the postseason.

I'm really tired of the "call me when you win a playoff game" attitude of everyone outside of Dallas.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;2269425 said:
:rolleyes: when January comes people will find out how good or bad we really are.
This should go without saying, but ... winning or losing a single game doesn't tell you how good you are.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
parchy;2269402 said:

Getting too smug and dismissing the season is not very smart. But I understand the comments due to the talent on the team.

Coach Landry used to say "if you can't win in December, then you can't win in the playoffs". So I would say that it is December that we should be looking at as an indication of the playoffs.

parchy

Reaction score
Disturbed;2269442 said:
Getting too smug and dismissing the season is not very smart. But I understand the comments due to the talent on the team.

Coach Landry used to say "if you can't win in December, then you can't win in the playoffs". So I would say that it is December that we should be looking at as an indication of the playoffs.

I don't understand this attitude. We're fans, not players. My attitude could be that we'll beat every team by 40 with Brad Johnson behind center. Even if it doesn't happen, my 'tude had no bearing on the ultimate result. If the players thought like this I'd be worried, but I doubt they do.

I mean, yeah, you enjoy the season and it's all fun and good watching us destroy a couple teams and have a couple close wins against solid opponents, but that's not quite the same as winning in the postseason, is it? But I don't understand how you can keep from peeking ahead toward the postseason, even now. It's not all I can think about, but it's hard to deny our lofty aspirations.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2269433 said:
This should go without saying, but ... winning or losing a single game doesn't tell you how good you are.
if we keep losing in the playoffs than were not that good. this isn't rocket science here.

Asklesko

Reaction score
No, nothing else matters. No matter how good the Cowboys look in the regular season, if they lose in the playoffs, everything else is a waste.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;2269470 said:
if we keep losing in the playoffs than were not that good. this isn't rocket science here.
Right, cause bad teams go 13-3. Uh...ok.

jimmy40

Reaction score
parchy;2269402 said:

As always I want to win every game but more importantly I want to be the hottest team come playoff time.

crazytown41

Reaction score
I agree. I want Romo playing well down the stretch unlike the past 2 years. We already know this team can win 13 games in the regular season. Let's do it when it counts now.

links18

Reaction score

You are already buying into the same logic by suggesting the last game against the Eagles will be meaningless. There is a whole lot of season to go still.....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;2269416 said:

Amen.

For all the people who say none of this matters until the playoffs start... Why are you here now?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;2269484 said:
I didn't say we were bad. we just weren't that good last year.
Oh, so we're neither bad nor good. Gotcha. For a second there I was confused.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me if people want to say it.

The haters have to hate.

Saying Dallas will never win the Superbowl is one thing but acting like Tony Romo will never win a playoff game is just rediculous.

Romos going to win some playoff games eventually so I don't know why all the haters would just set themselves up like this.

Not to mention hes only played 28 games and has looked all world in about 23 of them.