"Nothing matters until January"

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2269510 said:
Oh, so we're neither bad nor good. Gotcha. For a second there I was confused.
:laugh2: what a joke. the title under your name couldn't be more true.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Rampage;2269425 said:
:rolleyes: when January comes people will find out how good or bad we really are.

well you got to be pretty dang good to be playing in january, especially in this division.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
utrunner07;2269547 said:
well you got to be pretty dang good to be playing in january, especially in this division.
yeah but if you can't win in january you're not that good. is it really that hard for people to understand?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rampage;2269551 said:
yeah but if you can't win in january you're not that good. is it really that hard for people to understand?

You have to be good to make it to January. I don't dismiss the fact that the goal is winning a championship but bad teams do not make it to January.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2269552 said:
You have to be good to make it to January. I don't dismiss the fact that the goal is winning a championship but bad teams do not make it to January.
ok i'll try this one more time. yes you have to be good to get there. but you totally prove you're that good by winning once you get there. if you don't win while you're there than you're not that good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rampage;2269556 said:
ok i'll try this one more time. yes you have to be good to get there. but you totally prove you're that good by winning once you get there. if you don't win while you're there than you're not that good.

You don't have to explain anything; I said the ultimate goal is winning a championship as it is for all 32 teams. However 32 teams will not be playing in January so to get to that point you better be good enough to make it to the post season. There have been a lot of good teams who came up short in the post season in recent years the Colts but you would have to be blind not to see the talent they had and knowing eventually they would get over the hurdle and they did there is nothing easy about it and over the years many great Cowboy teams failed to make it all the way but most knew that it was only a matter of time before they did.

CowboyMark

Reaction score
theogt;2269477 said:
Right, cause bad teams go 13-3. Uh...ok.
Well it's true. Until the cowboys win something there will never be anything more than paper champions. It's a fact of life dude. Whats the point of going 13-3, having won the division, secured home field advantage, and having a home playoff game if the cowboys don't win. Thats what it's all about. You may not like it but it's the truth.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
CowboyMark;2269692 said:
Well it's true. Until the cowboys win something there will never be anything more than paper champions. It's a fact of life dude. Whats the point of going 13-3, having won the division, secured home field advantage, and having a home playoff game if the cowboys don't win. Thats what it's all about. You may not like it but it's the truth.

I dont think because you haven't won a playoff game your not a good team.

Thats just silly.

People know we're good.

You guys may be looking for some other kind of word or phrase but to say we're not good is pretty dumb.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
parchy;2269402 said:
Do you like this idea? That the everything that happens from now til our first playoff game (hopefully at home in the second round) is just posturing until the real season starts?

I've thought about it and I think our position last year was ideal. We were a top team without the burden of this season's expectations. With this team especially, I'm not at all comfortable with all this stuff about how anything less than a SB is a failure, because it'll mean that you can't necessarily appreciate a great season unless it's outstanding. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be atop the power rankings everywhere, but it does make me itchy thinking about January.

It's also worrisome because there are teams in the NFC that could definitely challenge, and we might not get an accurate shot at the Iggles again until the playoffs because I bet our season is wrapped by Week 17... and we'll see how much of a challenger the Pack are this Sunday, and then there's the Giants.

So what do you think? Would you rather have the burden of being the team that "has" to win the SB or else, or the solid challenger without much pressure. The latter didn't work for us, so maybe the former will, who knows.

no I like Tony Romos view on things. The journey is hell of a lot of fun.

Primetime42

Reaction score
I'm gonna use a baseball analogy for a second.

I'm a Yankee fan. I was 12 when they won their first World Series of the recent dynasty. They had a second baseman on the team by the name of Mariano Duncan.

When the Yanks started towards the end of summer, and then started getting back on track, he had a saying.

"We play today. We win today."

Moral (and I think the team really feels this way): They have to take it one game at a time. Like TO said, we want to win a playoff game first. I think we came into the Giants playoff game feeling we had already won the conference and it was a formality that we'd be seeing New England in Arizona.

If they keep it in their minds that they have to win each and every game one at a team, I don't see them losing a game of that magnitude to an inferior team again.

Enjoy the journey.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Primetime42;2270014 said:
I'm gonna use a baseball analogy for a second.

I'm a Yankee fan. I was 12 when they won their first World Series of the recent dynasty. They had a second baseman on the team by the name of Mariano Duncan.

When the Yanks started towards the end of summer, and then started getting back on track, he had a saying.

"We play today. We win today."

Moral (and I think the team really feels this way): They have to take it one game at a time. Like TO said, we want to win a playoff game first. I think we came into the Giants playoff game feeling we had already won the conference and it was a formality that we'd be seeing New England in Arizona.

If they keep it in their minds that they have to win each and every game one at a team, I don't see them losing a game of that magnitude to an inferior team again.

Enjoy the journey.
how bout them yankees:lmao:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Saying nothing matters until January is like predicting the sun is going to rise tomorrow, its pretty obvious.

However, I won't get sucked in with this team winning games in September only to fold when it counts.

I haven't read through the thread but I am sure it has been pointed out that if you don't have a good September-December, then there will be no January.

Howver, if you can't get excited about the 2008 Cowboys then I don't know what to tell you.

Heck, I had a 2nd job interview with a 6 member panel today and we were talking about them Cowboys.

One of the best interviews ever!

Ren

Reaction score
parchy;2269402 said:
Do you like this idea? That the everything that happens from now til our first playoff game (hopefully at home in the second round) is just posturing until the real season starts?

Hate it, there will be no January games if this is how they feel about games now

CowboyMark

Reaction score
CATCH17;2269695 said:
I dont think because you haven't won a playoff game your not a good team.

Thats just silly.

People know we're good.

You guys may be looking for some other kind of word or phrase but to say we're not good is pretty dumb.
Good teams make the playoffs. The truly great teams win super bowls and overcome everything thrown in their path. Until the cowboys win in the most important month of the year the cowboys are nothing more than paper champions plain and simple.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ren;2270020 said:
Hate it, there will be no January games if this is how they feel about games now
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. The Cowboys must take it one game at a time and they have to win now or there will be no January.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2269413 said:
I guess I'm taking Romo additude, I love the game too much to look that far down the road. I think it still important to win now to help set yourself up for the post season and I would still rather have 2 playoff games ahead of us instead of 3 as a Wildcard team. For me right now I'm going to enjoy the ride and worry about the playoffs when they get here

Romo is wise Daniel Son:D

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
I'm down w/ the same thinking. I don't want to fall for the same hype as last year only to be dissappointed w/ an early exit in postseason. I will stay reserved until they earn the right to play in the tournament, then its on.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Today isn't useless. If we have the mentality that nothing matters until January, then there's no doubt we will lose right away come January. Now is about building toward January. Getting something going, keep it going through December, and be ready to roll come playoff time.

Where I stand on the Super Bowl or bust stuff, however, is that this team can't really prove anything to outsiders (fans, media) until the playoffs roll around. If they go 14-2, 12-4 or 10-6, it's not going to matter much. The overriding question still hangs over this franchise: can we win a playoff game? That's not going to be answered in November.

But that's not the case internally. All this time before January is about building something, learning how to correct what went wrong last year, and entering the playoffs in the right fashion.