Recap: Quote from Garrett

CCBoy

Reaction score
Or relevance can be seen in actual paths taken to accomplish on the field...

In addition, we saw the introduction of red zone work. You may recall that, in last year's camp, after the Cowboys struggled to convert drives into touchdowns in 2012, one of the primary focal points was the red zone offense. Indeed, the extra work paid off; the Cowboys enjoyed greatly improved red zone performance. Today we saw them break out a series of passing plays designed to push the ball deep into the red zone (or, better, into the end zone), presumably with the thought that its difficult to work slowly through the red zone, and better to try to score from from the 20-25 yard lines.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...amp-practice-summary-moving-the-needle-on-the

And applications of the fruits of Jerry showing up in a chosen head, Jason Garrett, and being put into action. The later, action, is the most important.

But change already is being coached up...for the fan to observe now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He did. We drafted Tyron Smith 4 years ago.

And it would take an agenda not to also observe that huge salaries were dumped in a shallow market and hold-out framework as well.

Only 8 former Cowboys are on today's roster, from just 4 seasons ago...and it all came along as it should: careful signings in free agency and good drafts!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I've never liked 2nd round TEs. Or first round RBs, for that matter. We're in agreement there.

Not that I didn't like the players themselves. I just think it's a poor use of valuable resources.

Hopefully Escobar changes your mind. If he doesn't, oh well. But if he does, then the 2nd rounder doesn't hurt as badly.

CoCo

Reaction score
Honestly, people complaining about the way that the OL was rebuilt tells you everything you need to know about their willingness or ability to judge the team fairly. That ability just doesn't exist for some. It's pointless to argue the facts of this particular topic with them.

I'm just glad we've addressed OL and CBs here and can move on to the DL and LBs. we're fortunate that we appear to be hitting on some high picks, and that the way forward in terms of personnel is pretty obvious.

Nailed it !!

But allow me to add a couple other notes.

For those that want to discount the Frederick pick because Garrett looked mad that we traded down... Let's remember who it was reported that Dallas originally wanted in that 1st round - Cooper or Warmack.

And when criticizing our 2012 CB pick lets remember that Dallas was poised to likely take Brockers (DL) until the availability of the 6th pick fell into their laps.

Just this last draft Stephen Jones was quoted as saying Dallas was close to trading a 2015 pick to get a shot at Trai Turner.

Regarding the Shazier intent (or Donald or Barr for that matter), I don't want my team ONLY picking O-line. There are as we all well know plenty of other needs.

And in case anyone missed it we just gave $100 M over 8 years to our LT. I'd say that suggests we value him.

Apparently I am a slow learner because I am still stunned at how hard some fans will work to discredit this organization even when things go well.

I am still chuckling at how we shouldn't feel good about the TE position because Romo is too focused on Witten. Could someone please explain to me how that makes any sense at all?

khiladi

Reaction score
This is the same guy that was expecting Floyd, a 3-4 tackle in a 4-3 system, when Jerry over-ruled him and Tom at the last minute and took Frederik... This is the same guy who people were saying had a rift with Callahan, the guy in charge of the OL. This is the guy, whose offense was predicated on a power-blocking scheme, as opposed to a zone blocking scheme and was running it for years, meaning our scouts during this time were drafting in this vain accordingly. This is the same guy, in that same vein, that took Houck, a power-blocking OL coach. And yes, he also worked with him in Miami under Cad Cameron, who runs essentially a similar offense to Garrett. And Wade Phillips wanted Solari for a zone-blocking scheme almost 8 years ago.

mysterious_eighth_doctor_meme_by_the_artist_64-d5x74iv.jpg

khiladi

Reaction score
This is the same guy that stated the following in his defense of Rob Ryan:

"I thought Rob did a really good job," Garrett said. "I stood up here a number of times and said you don't want to talk about injuries and we're not talking about them now but in answering your question I'm going to say that it was a real challenge for (Ryan). If you think about the number of guys we lost on defense, starting, marquee players who are just simply out, and the other guys who are battling through injuries and the challenges he had bringing guys from the practice squad up, from off the street and on our team and literally playing them two days later."

And what happened a few days later... Ryan was fired.

And what happened this year, when Garrett-homers and Garrett himself defended the third failure in a row for Garrett... injuries on defense...

khiladi

Reaction score
This is the guy that puts every failure on the team, including Dallas totally abandoning the run in the second half against the Packers. I'm sorry, but Garrett, that decision was your and your alone.

"There are always cases as a coach you look back and say, 'I could've done this, or I should've done that,'" Garrett said. "WE, AS A TEAM, didn't handle that well enough, and WE should've handled it better."

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is the guy that puts every failure on the team, including Dallas totally abandoning the run in the second half against the Packers. I'm sorry, but Garrett, that decision was your and your alone.

Yea, I get your point...he probably is a dues paying member of DAMM (drunks against mad mothers)

burmafrd

Reaction score
If you count Doug Free (4th round) and Ron Leary (UDFA), then one or two of the cheap picks did pan out.

Seriously, the last thing any Cowboys fan has the right to complain about this year is the team's dedication to the o-line. It's widely considered the team's strength and you still find something to gripe about.

how quickly they forget......

all those wasted picks. 6-7 years of them. About 20 all told and of actual DRAFT PICKS 1 pans out. THAT is pathetic.

khiladi

Reaction score
And just as an aside, the drafting of Smith went totally against the concept of BPA, which is Garrett's philosophy. Columbo was on his last leg. Garrett himself admitted it:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...-nfl-draft-2013-do-you-live-by-the-bpa-theory

"In a perfect world, what you want to try to do is go into the draft without needs," coach Jason Garrett said. "I think you tend to draft worse when you say, 'I think we need to draft this position or that position.' And regardless of how objective you want to make that process, you invariably say, 'OK, we have a need here, so maybe we bump a player up ahead of this guy when they're really probably pretty similar."

"In an ideal situation you want to address your needs prior to the draft. Hard to do that, but you're trying to do that so you can draft as purely as possible. We couldn't do that last year."

Garrett says he believed that one gets into a bind when they draft NEED, the exception being 2011 when they got Smith. If everybody claims this was a process, then why is Garrett telling us the only year they actually built via need on their first pick was in 2011 when they got Smith? And even then, Smith was such a good prospect, there really was no issue between BPA and need.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
This is a pleasant change from seeing old draft board photos showing most OL graded a round lower than other teams were ranking them.

khiladi

Reaction score
And Martin wasn't even the first pick expected, he was the number 4 on BPAs when Dallas drafted, otherwise they would have gone defense. Remember, Callahan was refused permission to interview for the Ravens OC job. This OL is his baby ultimately. He is the guy that worked out Frederik prior to the draft.

CCBoy

Reaction score
And Martin wasn't even the first pick expected, he was the number 4 on BPAs when Dallas drafted, otherwise they would have gone defense. Remember, Callahan was refused permission to interview for the Ravens OC job. This OL is his baby ultimately. He is the guy that worked out Frederik prior to the draft.

A point, but always subject to approval from the Head Coach. A rubber stamp by the incoming OC. That influence will grow although.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think anyone believes a good OL isn't important in football. But I don't understand this prevailing idea that just because we've taken OL high three years lately, we're automatically doing things right. Jimmy is the one who didn't believe in taking OL high, so why are we acting like that attitude could only be held by a football idiot?

I also don't understand why anyone would get so much credit for building one part of a team. If on a 1-10 scale your OL (or offense overall) is a 9 but your defense is a 2, you still average 5.5 overall and you still are a very average team. Which is what we are.

Bluestang

Reaction score
I don't think anyone believes a good OL isn't important in football. But I don't understand this prevailing idea that just because we've taken OL high three years lately, we're automatically doing things right. Jimmy is the one who didn't believe in taking OL high, so why are we acting like that attitude could only be held by a football idiot?

I also don't understand why anyone would get so much credit for building one part of a team. If on a 1-10 scale your OL (or offense overall) is a 9 but your defense is a 2, you still average 5.5 overall and you still are a very average team. Which is what we are.

I don't know how much credit he should get considering how things have happened in the war room while he's been the HC.

But your right, it's his team so it's his defense too. Where is the credit/blame for that?

Bluestang

Reaction score
Honestly, people complaining about the way that the OL was rebuilt tells you everything you need to know about their willingness or ability to judge the team fairly. That ability just doesn't exist for some. It's pointless to argue the facts of this particular topic with them.

I'm just glad we've addressed OL and CBs here and can move on to the DL and LBs. we're fortunate that we appear to be hitting on some high picks, and that the way forward in terms of personnel is pretty obvious.

This notion couldn't be furthest from the truth.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How is he, "finally coming around"? The moment he took over as head coach he started rebuilding the O-line. He spent his very first pick on Tyron Smith after scouting him himself. He then proceeded to use 3 out of 4 of his first rounders on O-linemen. Garrett isn't just coming around, this has been his priority since he first got started.
You really think he didn't share this philosophy all along? They drafted oline in three of four drafts he was HC.

Of course he did. But he has never committed to the running game. To be able to run the ball effectively anytime you want you have to be a physical football team at least on the offensive line. He's got the horses to do it now.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't know how much credit he should get considering how things have happened in the war room while he's been the HC.

But your right, it's his team so it's his defense too. Where is the credit/blame for that?

Well I totally agree with that... I've never believed he's running the draft. It's always this "collective decision" where Jerry decides who he wants to listen to. (Although as usual in his PC he was trying to take credit for it and acting like it was his grand plan all along.) I was trying to depersonalize it in this one case and apply it to anyone putting together a team.