Recap: Quote from Garrett

Bluestang

Reaction score
Well I totally agree with that... I've never believed he's running the draft. It's always this "collective decision" where Jerry decides who he wants to listen to. (Although as usual in his PC he was trying to take credit for it and acting like it was his grand plan all along.) I was trying to depersonalize it in this one case and apply it to anyone putting together a team.

Like when he told the NFL Network he was this close (squeezes fingers together) in taking Manziel? I wonder who put that little nugget in his ear?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This notion couldn't be furthest from the truth.

Quoting this purely for the ironic case in point.

And it's absolutely true. These arguments are purely a reflection on how some posters feel about our record under Garrett and weak attempts at obfuscating the fact that we've focused a lot of resources on the offensive line and done it successfully.

To your earlier point about Garrett's defense, that's 100% his responsibility and he needs to own it. But you're not criticizing his role in not building a defense here. You're trying out convoluted arguments as to why he didn't actually build an offensive line. He did. We have. We can feel good about that one position group, and then go back to feeling bad about everything else.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Quoting this purely for the ironic case in point.

And it's absolutely true. These arguments are purely a reflection on how some posters feel about our record under Garrett and weak attempts at obfuscating the fact that we've focused a lot of resources on the offensive line and done it successfully.

And then we have Livings, Costa, Nagy, Arkin, Holland, Dockery, Cook, and even Parnell at this point that shows that we failed after multiple attempts to address the OL. I guess you can call it successful only after you tried numerous FAs, lower rd draft picks, and UDFAs and got nothing out of it. It only had to take the 31st pick to select a projected 2nd to 3rd round guy and then picking Martin who was by all accounts the 3rd/4th option after Shazier got picked right before us. (Don't you recall the Stephen Jones phone call to Shazier's agent?)

And then looking at 2012, where not one OL was selected in the draft but Leary was given a chance as a UDFA. Who by the way, redshirted his first year on the practice squad.

So choose your words carefully, because if we sit back and look at the whole picture it's not that pretty. A lot of resources were spent, and I'm not arguing that point at all, what am I arguing is how does JG get the credit for starting that "process" when everything else except selecting sure-fire picks worked? And to top it all off it's about a few years too late with Romo's back injury concern for this fan.

As CL said earlier, no one is arguing that OL isn't important, but to say that JG is making it an emphasis is somewhat blind homerish because he tried to plug the dam with quick fixes instead of using long term fixes from the beginning.

And I'll even add the point that JG has been here for seven years, at any point in time he could have stood on table and asked for OL prospects when he was the OC, it's only after the cheap fixes didn't work did Dallas actually start addressing the real problem.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And then we have Livings, Costa, Nagy, Arkin, Holland, Dockery, Cook, and even Parnell at this point that shows that we failed after multiple attempts to address the OL. I guess you can call it successful only after you tried numerous FAs, lower rd draft picks, and UDFAs and got nothing out of it. It only had to take the 31st pick to select a projected 2nd to 3rd round guy and then picking Martin who was by all accounts the 3rd/4th option after Shazier got picked right before us. (Don't you recall the Stephen Jones phone call to Shazier's agent?)

And then looking at 2012, where not one OL was selected in the draft but Leary was given a chance as a UDFA. Who by the way, redshirted his first year on the practice squad.

So choose your words carefully, because if we sit back and look at the whole picture it's not that pretty. A lot of resources were spent, and I'm not arguing that point at all, what am I arguing is how does JG get the credit for starting that "process" when everything else except selecting sure-fire picks worked? And to top it all off it's about a few years too late with Romo's back injury concern for this fan.

As CL said earlier, no one is arguing that OL isn't important, but to say that JG is making it an emphasis is somewhat blind homerish because he tried to plug the dam with quick fixes instead of using long term fixes from the beginning.

And I'll even add the point that JG has been here for seven years, at any point in time he could have stood on table and asked for OL prospects when he was the OC, it's only after the cheap fixes didn't work did Dallas actually start addressing the real problem.

I think I'll just rest my case here on my earlier point that some aren't capable of being reasonable on this topic for whatever reason rather than address a litany of the changes in a transitioning ten person position group over a period of four years.

For my part, you should find another area to criticize. There are plenty better targets.

Bluestang

Reaction score
I think I'll just rest my case here on my earlier point that some aren't capable of being reasonable on this topic for whatever reason rather than address a litany of the changes in a transitioning ten person position group over a period of four years.

For my part, you should find another area to criticize. There are plenty better targets.

LOL...10 person position group in four years?

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
how quickly they forget......

all those wasted picks. 6-7 years of them. About 20 all told and of actual DRAFT PICKS 1 pans out. THAT is pathetic.

You said, "If just one or two panned out."

I pointed out that one or two did. Don't change your story.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I don't think anyone believes a good OL isn't important in football. But I don't understand this prevailing idea that just because we've taken OL high three years lately, we're automatically doing things right. Jimmy is the one who didn't believe in taking OL high, so why are we acting like that attitude could only be held by a football idiot?

I also don't understand why anyone would get so much credit for building one part of a team. If on a 1-10 scale your OL (or offense overall) is a 9 but your defense is a 2, you still average 5.5 overall and you still are a very average team. Which is what we are.

and a 2 is being kind.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
So if the OL was so important, explain the great CB bonanza of 2012?

And we do not "develop" OL. We either buy them in free agency or we pay premium choices in the draft. It just comes down to what makes more sense.

Jerry has always been looking for the next Deion...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Not the goal, Corso. If mind blowing revelations were the expectation, you are not going to get that at a message board.

Not to be a jerk Alex, but I am truly curious and you are ignoring me:

"What exactly is the goal?"

I want to know what you're trying to do.
You stated you have a goal, your posts state about as much with the direction they are always driving at.
I'll admit- I must be dense and I don't see it.

What is the goal Alex?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Here's hoping.

Nah. One further--here's knowing. JJ knows what gave him 3 ring in 4 years. It was the trenches. (The Great Wall of Dallas!)

Simple as that. Linehan will bring his mismatches, but he knows that Garrett and Jerry want the Cowboys to move the chains via the ground and pound game. I believe it is going to happen!
Cannot wait!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I've never liked 2nd round TEs. Or first round RBs, for that matter. We're in agreement there.

Not that I didn't like the players themselves. I just think it's a poor use of valuable resources.

A 2nd round TE is fine.....a 2nd round back up TE, not so much. A 2nd round backup TE when you have limited draft picks and a myriad of other holes is even worse. A 2nd round backup TE who is the third such pick in 8 years is just poor team building.

It is easy to second guess the draft, but assume you just kept a guy like Scott Chandler to be your second TE and didn't waste those 2nd rounders. You could have had Andrew Whitworth, Jamaal Charles and Jamie Collins.

Instead they were essentially wasted (although I hope they can salvage Escobar......I just don't think the position/scheme will really allow true value for that pick) on a team that is continually trying to plug leaks in the dam. Fix one and two others pop up.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did I ever tell you about the day a tribe of Arapohoe chased me up a canyon...I got killed of course.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A 2nd round TE is fine.....a 2nd round back up TE, not so much. A 2nd round backup TE when you have limited draft picks and a myriad of other holes is even worse. A 2nd round backup TE who is the third such pick in 8 years is just poor team building.

It is easy to second guess the draft, but assume you just kept a guy like Scott Chandler to be your second TE and didn't waste those 2nd rounders. You could have had Andrew Whitworth, Jamaal Charles and Jamie Collins.

Instead they were essentially wasted (although I hope they can salvage Escobar......I just don't think the position/scheme will really allow true value for that pick) on a team that is continually trying to plug leaks in the dam. Fix one and two others pop up.

I more or less agree. My issue wasn't with the players taken, but with the positions targeted. Same goes for the Felix Jones pick.

I do think Escobar will be a good player for us.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Garrett's statement regarding the OL is something we're all aware of. In all likelihood, they'll be terrific. If only we could say the same about the defensive line as well, we'd be doing great. Barring a few pleasant surprises on the DL, it may well be next year before the pass rush is settled. Let's just hope those surprises are forthcoming before next year. Until then, c'mon offense!