Radio Booth needs a fresh start

RonWashington

Reaction score
I watch the games on TV but occasionally I’ll catch Sham & Laughing gas on radio and Sham in particular has been too long in the saddle .

Tell you what if I owned a team I would let a radio duo do my games 8 yrs max then it’s time for a fresh perspective. Shams folksy it’s “ only a game “ mantra after another bitter loss in particular is worn out.

Joe Trahan locally on ch 8 seems like an ideal radio play by play dude with maybe Broadus analyzing the mistakes .

:facepalm:

RonWashington

Reaction score
It’s only a game, though.

I know that . But it seems like it comes off as a cover up for more failure . Dale Hansen was critical of Jethro yrs ago as Shams sidekick and for his honesty he got canned . Give me less “ it’s only a game “ aspirin and more shortcomings honesty comments .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I know that . But it seems like it comes off as a cover up for more failure . Dale Hansen was critical of Jethro yrs ago as Shams sidekick and for his honesty he got canned . Give me less “ it’s only a game “ aspirin and more shortcomings honesty comments .
Hansen got canned? From where?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I watch the games on TV but occasionally I’ll catch Sham & Laughing gas on radio and Sham in particular has been too long in the saddle .

Tell you what if I owned a team I would let a radio duo do my games 8 yrs max then it’s time for a fresh perspective. Shams folksy it’s “ only a game “ mantra after another bitter loss in particular is worn out.

Joe Trahan locally on ch 8 seems like an ideal radio play by play dude with maybe Broadus analyzing the mistakes .

I mean it is only a game. I’ve heard other teams radio guys and we are lucky to have Sham it’s some bad guys out there.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that we need a new broadcast team. I’m old enough to remember listening to Verne Lundquist doing the Cowboys play by play and Brad Sham was the analyst….in the 70s! It was good team for several years. But Sham is tiresome now IMO.

Here are several things Sham does that are irritating:
  • If you ever turn on the game after it’s started, you may have to wait 5-10 minutes (if you’re lucky) to ever hear the score announced.
  • Sham has a bad habit of not describing the action accurately. He often says things that are misleading. For example: “Dak drops back, going deep down the left side, and it’s caught by Cedee Lamb for a 5 yard gain.”
  • He calls too many players by their first names too often. Like “Dak”, “Zeke”, “Deron”, “Micah”, etc. So if someone who doesn’t know the team very well is listening with me (like my wife) I have to explain who he’s talking about.
  • Sham has become somewhat of a super-homer like Mickey Spagnola. He works for the Cowboys and never forgets who’s in charge and never forgets to bow the knee. I guess honest broadcasters like Dale Hansen who aren’t afraid to tell the truth get fired.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sham has been carrying the Jones/team's water for way too long. Hès just trying to stay long enough to retire, I think. I highly doubt he cares about the team's success. Give me a guy with real passion in the radio booth. Brad had his time, and that has now passed.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I mean it is only a game. I’ve heard other teams radio guys and we are lucky to have Sham it’s some bad guys out there.
Radio dudes are like baseball players. They can hang on forever.

100% agree w/your thoughts on other play-by-play guys. Here in PA you’ve got 80+ year old Merrill Reese (Philly) - dare you to find someone more annoying, & Quick who seriously makes comments like he’s watching a different game. The Steelers had Hillgrove (just retired this year, I believe?) who was doing it since before the nerds successfully cloned a sheep from an adult cell (Hillgrove ‘94/‘95 timeline, nerds and Dolly the sheep - born in ‘96).

Even in Sham’s slippage, he’s still besting clowns like these guys.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I agree that we need a new broadcast team. I’m old enough to remember listening to Verne Lundquist doing the Cowboys play by play and Brad Sham was the analyst….in the 70s! It was good team for several years. But Sham is tiresome now IMO.

• If you ever turn on the game after it’s started, you may have to wait 5-10 minutes (if you’re lucky) to ever hear the score announced.
  • Sham has a bad habit of not describing the action accurately. He often says things that are misleading. For example: “Dak drops back, going deep down the left side, and it’s caught by Cedee Lamb for a 5 yard gain.”
  • He calls too many players by their first names too often. Like “Dak”, “Zeke”, “Deron”, “Micah”, etc. So if someone who doesn’t know the team very well is listening with me (like my wife) I have to explain who he’s talking about.
  • Sham has become somewhat of a super-homer like Mickey Spagnola. He works for the Cowboys and never forgets who’s in charge and never forgets to bow the knee. I guess honest broadcasters like Dale Hansen who aren’t afraid to tell the truth get fired.
Here are the rules to Dallas Stars radio hockey:

1) If you tune in for the first time it will be during an intermission. There will be too much time left in the intermission, and your drive will be over before hockey resumes.

2) On those rare occasions when you manage to tune in and hockey is being played, Daryl "Razor" Reaugh WILL NOT tell you the score until he absolutely has to.

3) If you are actually listening to radio Stars hockey the Stars will ALWAYS be down at least one goal.

Forneymike

Reaction score

Sham is one of the best in the NFL. Trahan is a spare who couldn’t even replace Hanson on channel 8. He would never get that job. Broaddus is ok but Babe knows way more since he actually played in the league. You have a top 5 booth in the NFL and want to change it. This board and its hatred never ceases to amaze me. Along with the dumb ideas people come up with

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Well, maybe Sham has vision/depth perception issues when he thinks a 5 yard catch is going "deep". :muttley:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
And that kind of overkill happens 3-4 times a game where it sounds like something big is happening, and it’s a 3 yard gain.
I've complained about this for at least 10 years now. It's amazing how often he says something like, "Handoff to Zeke, OH BIG HOLE! GREAT BLOCK BY MARTIN! But he's stopped by the safety. Gain of two."

And like you said in another post, he's just terrible at doing the actual job of a PBP man, which is describing the action. You can hear a game (and I used to hear a lot of them in the car) and then later see the play and it's nothing like he described.

Some of it is old age, which gets us all, but some of it is that he gets so comfortable with Babe and their banter back and forth that he forgets what he's doing. I used to hear him call the Cotton Bowl with a different partner and he was much better, more like he used to be, even as he was doing the things I described above for Cowboys games during the same season.