***Raiders/Pats Game Thread***

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raiders lived and died by that deep ball tonight. For some reason, they got away from the running game.

You'd think they'd had a Randy ratio there, too. I swear if Collins throws some of those balls in our game, the whole secondary should receive game balls from all the INTs they should snag.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Raiders lived and died by that deep ball tonight. For some reason, they got away from the running game.

You'd think they'd had a Randy ratio there, too. I swear if Collins throws some of those balls in our game, the whole secondary should receive game balls from all the INTs they should snag.

I really think that Turner realized that if they broke a long run it would come back on a mystery "holding" call.

Scary that I truly think that the "fix" is now a part of the NFL.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Scary that I truly think that the "fix" is now a part of the NFL.
I think it's more that the Pats are extremely well coached.

Norv's team, on the other hand... Isn't.

I don't get the handwringing... This looks like a game of last year's champs versus a 5-11 team to me. :)

And BTW, Juke is right about Brady. Underestimating Brady is beyond my comprehension. Barring disaster, he's going to go down as one of the best ever.

DipChit

Reaction score
Brady is a cool customer alright.. and certainly doesnt make stupid mistakes. But by in larger tonight he had as much time and space in which to work as a cop directing traffic in a town of about 50 at 3 AM on a Monday morning.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Anyone see the Horsetrailor award winner week 2 of 2003.....

Quincy Carter :eek:

Billy Cundiff

Terry Glenn

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...but the Patriots took care of Moss, Porter and Jordan.

Collins had no chance against Belichick. The Patriots do not look supremely talented at any one position with the exception of Brady, but they do know how to take care of business.

It's just the first game, but you seriously have to consider these guys to be there again in January.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He's got a good team around him, no doubt... But he's definitely the engine.

I haven't looked into the Pats that closely this year so I am just guessing, but I think one reason they can get by without an offensive coordinator per se is that Brady is calling (or changing, which is the same thing) a ton of plays at the line, just like Manning does. He's so smart and he has such a great understanding of what they are trying to accomplish, Belichick lets him do that.

And that's in addition to how cool he is under pressure.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Tom Brady is the most overated player in the NFL. He IS a good QB, but how many QBs would be "Great" if they had all day to throw and wide open, check that... WIDE OPEN WRs to throw to? When he was pressured, I think he completed ONE pass. The true measure of a great QB is how the do when pressured and having to throw to a reciever that is at least DECENTLY covered.

Again, good QB, but overated. He's no Troy Aikman that's for d*** sure.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I think it's more that the Pats are extremely well coached.

Norv's team, on the other hand... Isn't.

I don't get the handwringing... This looks like a game of last year's champs versus a 5-11 team to me. :)

And BTW, Juke is right about Brady. Underestimating Brady is beyond my comprehension. Barring disaster, he's going to go down as one of the best ever.

Would you care to see an analysis of "subjective" (holding, PI, etc. as opposed to offsides, false start etc.) penaties on the Patriots the last 4 years.

You can "coach up" a team all you'd like but when a player get a 15 yard facemask yet never even touches the facemask of the opponent, it's hard to overcome.

The NFL hates Al Davis and it shows.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Could someone explain that unecessary roughness penalty that was called on the Raiders DB when he made a tackle. Something about "forearm to the head of the player on the ground." I watched the replay like 5 times on my DVR, and have no idea what the ref was talking about. Looked like a nice clean tackle to me, arm over and around the shoulder from behind, they fell down, the end. Nobody was hit on the ground, and the arm didn't hit the receiver in the head. Of course Madden and Michaels made no comment except how the Raiders are the most penalized, blah blah.

Of course, I'm not sure either were really watching. I don't know how they could BOTH be surprised at the PI call on moss on that 2 pt. conversion attempt if they were paying any attention at all. Pretty blatant.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Could someone explain that unecessary roughness penalty that was called on the Raiders DB when he made a tackle. Something about "forearm to the head of the player on the ground."

The only explanation I can give you is that it was a horrible call. If that was unnecessary roughness, then that closeline by Harrison on the kickoff should be a felony charge.

ANd about that PI call on Moss, yes it was OFfensive PI, no doubt. But it was illegal contact on Samuels before that. You aren't supposed to be able to put your hands on the WR after 5 yards. I saw Harrison do it on a play 30 yards down the field as well.

By the way, is anyone else tired of seeing the dirty play of Rodney Harrison? The only football player I've ever hated more then this f*** is Bill Steroidowski.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

I think the 1st and 20 4 times in the third quarter had more to do with that then anything. Collins also needs to improve his timing, on a few of the out routes he was at least one second late throwing the ball and it led to incomplete passes. He waited for the WR to turn and stop before he released the ball, unlike Brady who started throwing right as the WR started to come out of his break.

Penalties definately killed any chance the Raiders had in the second half.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
RG on NE made some very nice blocks. Pulled on Dillon's 1st TD and made the block that gave him the lane. Saw him man handle Sapp

Smith22

Reaction score
Listening to the game, it sounded like Seymour was abusing the OL all day along, constantly after Collins.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Brady is a great QB. I believe he is the best QB in the NFL. Does he have a great OL? Of course, there a good team. You can't be a great QB unless you play for a great team. That kinda goes without saying. Still, you gotta be able to make the plays. Say what you want about Brady but in the final annalysis, he throws for 300, he throws for better then 60 percent, throws TDs. Doens't turn the ball over and that's key. That makes him great. Make no mistake. End result? Another win. That's what you pay for.

Tobal

Reaction score
The Pats got pressure rushing three - four guys alot of the night. Everytime Vrabel blitzed he was untouched.

Brady had a great game statistically, he didn't screw up. He drove the bus. If he played in San Francisco he'd be an above avg QB.