News: Rams and Kupp agree to $80M extension

RS12

Reaction score
Egomaniac narcissistic like him think they’re going to live forever.

To his credit and despair to Cowboy fans I could see him still running Cowboys Football into his 90’s.
Probably reserved the space next to Ted Williams at the cryobank.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
For context this makes Kupp actually the highest paid WR in football because Adams and Hill both have fake money that will never get paid out to inflate the AAV of both deals.
Funny thing w/ all the posters crying about players being deep/HR threats. Cooper is not a deep threat, and was not a HR threat before last season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He's in the HOF, he makes billions and he has no need to compete. All this salary cap stuff is just an excuse by the Jones to placate the fans. As long as the Jones family makes money they are fine with no super bowls. They win the Forbes super bowl every year and that validates them as football guys, not the product on the field.

That's one way to look at it. I've seen enough comments from him that make it fairly apparent that he and Stephen believe their free agent philosophy is the way to win. The fact that they are willing to spend top dollar on their own FAs is evidence that they believe it.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
We all know teams with a lot of cash can do it. It’s not about the cap. Take Cooper, they didn’t want to pay the cash. Zeke is the opposite problem, they already paid the cash and don’t want the cap hit. Just a few examples.

What do you do if you just want to pay cash? Franchise Schultz. What if the player wants more, you guarantee more down the road with cap or guarantees.

The cap was supposed to stop teams like the Yankees from buying all the good players in baseball, but it doesn’t large market teams still get around it.

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
BS. The Rams school the Cowboys when it comes to the cap and how we spend money, and if you are going to argue that it’s crazy
What does that have to do with what I said?

They build their team differently than we do. If they are wrong on any of their high-priced additions, they are done. The lifeblood of your team is the draft and they didn't have one this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro has tried bold moves in the past. They have consistently failed due to very poor player evaluations.
Sure. But why not keep trying. And I’m not sure I’d call trading for WR’s a bold move.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why not at some point if you think you have a playoff caliber team that continues coming up short , roll the dice trading for a HOF caliber QB . What have you really lost if you still come up short if there’s no future anyway.

I salute what Tampa and LA have done. Problem is you need real football guys with an keen eye for talent making these decisions. But what do these Bozo owners really have to lose?

Proof

Reaction score
Here's Stephen saying the cap is "real," while this guy is saying it's not cash money but rather, an accounting loophole, instead.
Perhaps Stephen Jones needs to take lessons from the Rams' financial wizards?! If legit, it sounds pretty astounding . . .:huh:

Actually, I can't help but to wonder if it's possible that the NFL hierarchy might ever see fit to render such practices as forbidden.

like they did with the "uncapped year" smh.

Proof

Reaction score
Kupp is in his last year coming off of one of the most productive seasons ever by a WR.

This will lower his cap charge of 18 mill this year...not worth all of the hand wringing i see in this thread.

lol huh? no one is saying he doesn't deserve it, the "hand wringing" is because the Rams seem to be able to do whatever they want. Give Kupp 74 gtd, add 40 mil to AD's contract, extend Stafford, sign bobby wagner. Meanwhile we traded our best wr for a bag of chips, lost our war daddy, and let our roadgrading guard walk away for nothing.

Proof

Reaction score
When the Cowboys sign their guys, it is the we like our guys complaint.

they sign their guys AND get marquee free agents, we let ours walk and get dollar general scraps.

plymkr

Reaction score
That's one way to look at it. I've seen enough comments from him that make it fairly apparent that he and Stephen believe their free agent philosophy is the way to win. The fact that they are willing to spend top dollar on their own FAs is evidence that they believe it.
I feel like they pay their own guys top dollar is to justify drafting them. It seems like this cycle of keeping our own guys and overpaying them. An encouraging sign is the release of Collins and Gregory. By letting go of Collins and not flinching with Gregory was a positive sign that unreliable players won't be tolerated. So hopefully things are changing. I feel you're right that they feel their FA way works. I'm hoping they can see that balance is good.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I feel like they pay their own guys top dollar is to justify drafting them. It seems like this cycle of keeping our own guys and overpaying them. An encouraging sign is the release of Collins and Gregory. By letting go of Collins and not flinching with Gregory was a positive sign that unreliable players won't be tolerated. So hopefully things are changing. I feel you're right that they feel their FA way works. I'm hoping they can see that balance is good.

That isn't the reason they've given for their philosophy, and as you said, some players have been released, which goes against the idea of justifying drafting them. Look at Taco Charlton, he was a first-round pick and they cut him before his third season. There are other players they didn't reward as well.

Again, I think the evidence fit what Jerry has said, that they reward their own because they have seen what they can do while they don't know if outside FAs are going to live up to the contract they are given.