News: Rams and Kupp agree to $80M extension

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I hear you but the Rams were a dropped interception away from losing to San Francisco 3 times. The Cowboys are closer to the Rams then fans/media want to admit. Dak and MM have to get us over the top.

But the old saying is real, to win a SB you will need a little luck along the way.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No, the details to this new contract haven't been released yet. But just yesretday it had Kupp making 15M a year over the next 3 years. Now all I see is his 2022 salary. So it looks like they eliminated the rest of his years and are replacing them with this new 3 year contract. They may have deleted 3 years, I don't know. But they kept the one for 2022. If you look at his pay for 2022, that's what the rest of the years looked like before they were removed. It was just coincidence I looked at his contract yesterday.

I just find it interesting that the Rams are paying thank you money to both Kupp and Donald. They didn't have to. But Kupp was wildly underpaid, so I can somewhat understand. Donald wasn't, but I think he threatened to retire.
The 'thank you' money is a keep the band happy and together in the next two years as they realise the CAP hit and limited draft picks will start kicking in 2023/24.
It's the right approach for the Rams, pay the elite and build around them, unfortunately, for us apart from Micah, we don't have the players to follow suit.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Rams know they are going to be the worst team in the league in four years. Why not borrow cap room for that period to use now? Makes sense to me.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But as the OP
It's just so frustrating watching teams that win be able to basically do whatever they want while Jerry and Stephen can't figure out how to keep our #4 WR.

The Rams have built a winning culture and players want to be a part of that.
Listen to the whole of the vid.... it clearly balances the Rams CAP management with the way that the 49ers operate. Now recent results indicates the teams are pretty level in talent.
Just because the Rams won a SB doesn't mean every team has to do it their way. If as was likely the Bengals had won, would you be advocating not bothering with an O-Line or if the 49ers won, try frontloading (reducing DeadCap) contracts??

Flamma

Reaction score
The 'thank you' money is a keep the band happy and together in the next two years as they realise the CAP hit and limited draft picks will start kicking in 2023/24.
It's the right approach for the Rams, pay the elite and build around them, unfortunately, for us apart from Micah, we don't have the players to follow suit.

I agree. Especially when we're talking about arguably the best two players at their positions. I just never it saw it done like that before. Where you just add money to existing years, or completely delete and restructure current years. For example, Lawrence has a 3 year deal right now. If by some miracle he broke the sack record this year, Dallas decided to add 30M to his 2 remaining years. That's never going to happen.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
But as the OP

Listen to the whole of the vid.... it clearly balances the Rams CAP management with the way that the 49ers operate. Now recent results indicates the teams are pretty level in talent.
Just because the Rams won a SB doesn't mean every team has to do it their way. If as was likely the Bengals had won, would you be advocating not bothering with an O-Line or if the 49ers won, try frontloading (reducing DeadCap) contracts??
I advocate for anything that's different that what we've done for the past 26 years.

It's past time for a new approach. Jerry's way has proven to not work.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why not at some point if you think you have a playoff caliber team that continues coming up short , roll the dice trading for a HOF caliber QB . What have you really lost if you still come up short if there’s no future anyway.

I salute what Tampa and LA have done. Problem is you need real football guys with an keen eye for talent making these decisions. But what do these Bozo owners really have to lose?
Once again, poor player evaluations.

Flamma

Reaction score
I advocate for anything that's different that what we've done for the past 26 years.

It's past time for a new approach. Jerry's way has proven to not work.

Dallas hasn't been doing the same thing the last 26 years. This new super conservative style has only been utilized for the last 8-10 years. Jerry used to be very aggressive, he's just not very good at it. Now they are overcompensating.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Why not at some point if you think you have a playoff caliber team that continues coming up short , roll the dice trading for a HOF caliber QB . What have you really lost if you still come up short if there’s no future anyway.

I salute what Tampa and LA have done. Problem is you need real football guys with an keen eye for talent making these decisions. But what do these Bozo owners really have to lose?
This 100%.

The Cowboys have not taken the QB position seriously since Aikman.

They've hitched their wagons to 4th round/undrafted talented thinking they found the next Tom Brady because they overachieved a little.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's one way to look at it. I've seen enough comments from him that make it fairly apparent that he and Stephen believe their free agent philosophy is the way to win. The fact that they are willing to spend top dollar on their own FAs is evidence that they believe it.
It's even worse than that.

Evaluating their philosophy is not something they ever do. They basically operate the team w/ no philosophy. They don't think about what it takes to win, they simply acquire players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
All I know is if Dallas paid a WR that much we would have fans screaming over paid. A couple weeks a go we had a thread about how many WR coming out of college make a big impact right away and left many saying why pay that much on WR? I get it people will always look at last years champ and claim this is how you do it, this is the blue print only problem the vast majority of the time the same team does not make it back to the SB so then the next winner becomes the blue print.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dallas hasn't been doing the same thing the last 26 years. This new super conservative style has only been utilized for the last 8-10 years. Jerry used to be very aggressive, he's just not very good at it. Now they are overcompensating.
Overcompensating.

That is the best way I've seen it stated, and that is definitely what they do.

blueblood70

Reaction score
How are they doing it, cap experts? lol

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-agrees-to-three-year-78-5-million-extension/
Reports: Cooper Kupp agrees to three-year, $80 million extension
Posted by Charean Williams on June 8, 2022, 7:43 PM EDT

kicking the can down the road its working now but who knows later.. they decided to ignore all warnings of future disaster. we will find out iof it works one SB is nice but if they dont go on run Similar to KC but even better even KC and TB finding out its hard to get to and win multiple SBS. TB tried bringing back all 22 and they didn't even get back to the NFCCG with the same team and coaches.

but hey if you are impressed you can becomes a rams fan we wont miss you

all those that keep coveting these other teams when it means squat here in the COWBOYS ZONE this isn't the RAMS zone or the NFL Zone.
go play kin their sandbox not ours.

kskboys

Reaction score
All I know is if Dallas paid a WR that much we would have fans screaming over paid. A couple weeks a go we had a thread about how many WR coming out of college make a big impact right away and left many saying why pay that much on WR? I get it people will always look at last years champ and claim this is how you do it, this is the blue print only problem the vast majority of the time the same team does not make it back to the SB so then the next winner becomes the blue print.
Spot on. No one thought acquiring an aging QB was the right way because it had never worked before. Suddenly we have Manning/Brady/Stafford, and now it's in vogue, so many teams are giving up prime resources for them.

Flamma

Reaction score
Overcompensating.

That is the best way I've seen it stated, and that is definitely what they do.

Yeah, what's the alternative? Remember the crazy crap Jerry did? It's like he's a little kid playing a video game. You would think his son might be better at it.