News: Rams and Kupp agree to $80M extension

Truck

Reaction score
Both teams were 12 and 5 last year.
And what do you think both teams records would be if the Boys were in the NFC West and the Rams were in the NFC East?

The Cowboys were 6-0 in the East, but they would have been 3-3 at best in the West, making their record more like 9-8
The Rams were 3-3 in the West, but they would have been 5-1, 4-2 at worst in the East, making their record more like 13-4.

The Cowboys aren’t close to the Rams. And I can’t stand that team. We just lucky to be in our weak division.

Flamma

Reaction score
Kupp is in his last year coming off of one of the most productive seasons ever by a WR.

This will lower his cap charge of 18 mill this year...not worth all of the hand wringing i see in this thread.

I was just looking at Kupp's contract just yesterday. It had him listed at making 15M a year over the next 3 years. Was that a mistake? Or are they doing for him like they did Aaron Donald? Rework the current deal to make it pay more. Because if it's the latter, we hardly ever see that in this league. Granted, they are two of the best players in the league, but still, teams rarely pay thank you money in the NFL.

Fire407

Reaction score
Jerry has made some bold free agent moves in the past that paid off, with players like Deion Sanders, Charles Haley, and even T.O. It's still not too late to go get DK Metcalf or Deebo Samuel. I would even try to add OBJ, since he might be a bargain coming off of injury. It would be good to have him for the playoff run like the Rams did this past season---but the way things are looking the Rams will probably be able to sign him again too.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

2:34 begins to explain it.

Teams with a lot of cash flow can do it.

Jerry's is not well liquidated apparently.

The Joneses have plenty of cash. They just don’t want to spend it on free agents. No team in any sport makes as much money as the Cowboys brand. Jerry is full of it. I don’t think he would write a big check to win a Super Bowl.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He is, he just doesnt want to use it. For what he wants to do, he doesn't need too

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Here's Stephen saying the cap is "real," while this guy is saying it's not cash money but rather, an accounting loophole, instead.
Perhaps Stephen Jones needs to take lessons from the Rams' financial wizards?! If legit, it sounds pretty astounding . . .:huh:

Actually, I can't help but to wonder if it's possible that the NFL hierarchy might ever see fit to render such practices as forbidden.

If you listened to the whole clip he gives positives for both Rams and 49ers (Jimmy G) approach, which approached the CAP in different ways.

The Rams are succeeding, not necessarily because of how they're using the CAP.....but they are attracting and paying the right players. We overpaid for the Dak's, Zeke, Jaylon, DLaw, Tyron(inj).....all very good players, but not out and out difference makers.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I was just looking at Kupp's contract just yesterday. It had him listed at making 15M a year over the next 3 years. Was that a mistake? Or are they doing for him like they did Aaron Donald? Rework the current deal to make it pay more. Because if it's the latter, we hardly ever see that in this league. Granted, they are two of the best players in the league, but still, teams rarely pay thank you money in the NFL.

Details havent been release yet, have they? The only bit I can find is the $75m guaranteed over 5 years. It'll be heavily backloaded. The Rams have gone all-in for this (and possibly 2023)....in 2024 they will need new O and D-Lines (with limited CAP and draft capital).....they are going to rely on aging Ramsey, Donald, Stafford and a Kupp....surrounded by lesser youngsters who they hope will produce next to the elite.

It's a decent way to go, however, the 49er's antithesis approach to the CAP is equally commendable.

Flamma

Reaction score
Details havent been release yet, have they? The only bit I can find is the $75m guaranteed over 5 years. It'll be heavily backloaded. The Rams have gone all-in for this (and possibly 2023)....in 2024 they will need new O and D-Lines (with limited CAP and draft capital).....they are going to rely on aging Ramsey, Donald, Stafford and a Kupp....surrounded by lesser youngsters who they hope will produce next to the elite.

It's a decent way to go, however, the 49er's antithesis approach to the CAP is equally commendable.

No, the details to this new contract haven't been released yet. But just yesretday it had Kupp making 15M a year over the next 3 years. Now all I see is his 2022 salary. So it looks like they eliminated the rest of his years and are replacing them with this new 3 year contract. They may have deleted 3 years, I don't know. But they kept the one for 2022. If you look at his pay for 2022, that's what the rest of the years looked like before they were removed. It was just coincidence I looked at his contract yesterday.

I just find it interesting that the Rams are paying thank you money to both Kupp and Donald. They didn't have to. But Kupp was wildly underpaid, so I can somewhat understand. Donald wasn't, but I think he threatened to retire.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
As should be abundantly clear by now, our Front office is just lazy. It's why they vacation during the start of free agency, it's why they don't make trades, it's why they'll only pay for guys they draft....they don't want to put in the work required to scout and vet FAs, creatively work the cap, or wheel and deal to turn a present draft pick into multiple or higher ones in following seasons. They are not willing to put in the work. Jerry is too old to have the energy, and Stephen is just lazy.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

This is almost hard to hear...we know our GM was weak, but not this weak...we should be kings of "cash over cap" with the most valuable franchise in the league.

They truly are just coasting and sipping drinks in the shade. :(

CWR

Reaction score
Please let one of the apologists explain to me again how we couldn't afford Cooper or free agents. Lol

CWR

Reaction score
And what do you think both teams records would be if the Boys were in the NFC West and the Rams were in the NFC East?

The Cowboys were 6-0 in the East, but they would have been 3-3 at best in the West, making their record more like 9-8
The Rams were 3-3 in the West, but they would have been 5-1, 4-2 at worst in the East, making their record more like 13-4.

The Cowboys aren’t close to the Rams. And I can’t stand that team. We just lucky to be in our weak division.

And the Rams didn't get where they are by sitting on their hands every off-season.

terra

Reaction score
What does that have to do with what I said?

They build their team differently than we do. If they are wrong on any of their high-priced additions, they are done. The lifeblood of your team is the draft and they didn't have one this year.
Who has been to SBs and won them in the last 25 years? Sure ain't been the cowboys. We have not even sniffed the SB. so your claim our way works is total horsecrap.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
When you have a franchise that shows they are committed to winning players seem to be much more willing to work with them.

Meanwhile, Randy Gregory, who Jerry babied for 5 years, don't even want to stick around with us.

Jerry and Stephen are the problem with this franchise. They pay the ones that don't deserve it while banking on the draft to get better.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
One won the Super Bowl, the other choked at home in the WC round.

But enjoy wearing that NFC East Division Champions t-shirt proudly.
I hear you but the Rams were a dropped interception away from losing to San Francisco 3 times. The Cowboys are closer to the Rams then fans/media want to admit. Dak and MM have to get us over the top.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That's one way to look at it. I've seen enough comments from him that make it fairly apparent that he and Stephen believe their free agent philosophy is the way to win. The fact that they are willing to spend top dollar on their own FAs is evidence that they believe it.

Agree, and that has really helped us to SB wins lately by resigning our on.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
When you have a franchise that shows they are committed to winning players seem to be much more willing to work with them.

Meanwhile, Randy Gregory, who Jerry babied for 5 years, don't even want to stick around with us.

Jerry and Stephen are the problem with this franchise. They pay the ones that don't deserve it while banking on the draft to get better.

Bingo

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What does that have to do with what I said?

They build their team differently than we do. If they are wrong on any of their high-priced additions, they are done. The lifeblood of your team is the draft and they didn't have one this year.
That's an understatement.

We're 26 years years and counting with doing it Jerry's way.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
lol huh? no one is saying he doesn't deserve it, the "hand wringing" is because the Rams seem to be able to do whatever they want. Give Kupp 74 gtd, add 40 mil to AD's contract, extend Stafford, sign bobby wagner. Meanwhile we traded our best wr for a bag of chips, lost our war daddy, and let our roadgrading guard walk away for nothing.

This, they are doing things like it is back in the Jimmy Johnson era, no salary cap at all. And the biggest concern for us, THEY ARE NOT DONE!