News: Rams and Kupp agree to $80M extension

Truck

Reaction score

2:34 begins to explain it.

Teams with a lot of cash flow can do it.

Jerry's is not well liquidated apparently.

Jesus. The Rams can do it, but we won’t. Not because we can’t, but because we won’t.

:facepalm:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kupp got $75 million guaranteed exceeding Tyreek Hill’s $72 million guarantee. It’s going to get a lot tougher pairing a great QB with a great WR with the kind of money both positions are making. Cincinnati is going to have their work cut out for them trying to sign Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase.

Ken

Reaction score
5 turnovers forced by qb pressure, tied for 1st.

but this has run it's course

Ah, i thought you were referring to direct forced turnovers like Forced Fumbles.

Now, this isn't all that great because he played for the #1 turnover team in the league. For instance, he ranked 10th in pressure rate and 28th in sack rate yet somehow ranked first in turnovers by qb....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2:34 begins to explain it.

Teams with a lot of cash flow can do it.

Jerry's is not well liquidated apparently.

That's an oversimplification. It isn't that teams that have strong cash flow can spend what they want however they want without consequences. Strong cash flow just allows them to spend money now and structure deals where the cap hits get pushed off into the future. This video explains that pushing things out like that will catch up to teams. Accordingly, a team could have strong cash flow and still not do what the Rams are doing because they don't want to deal with the problems in the future. For the Rams it may be worth it because they know they have a Super Bowl caliber team and they can win now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ye
McVay is rumored to want to move to the booth soon....he's selling the future for another SB win that will make him elite and then ask for Romo or Aikman type money. JMO

yep…..and the rams will suck for 5 years minimum after he leaves.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
These huge guaranteed contracts with signing bonuses are impossible for most teams. It’s not about the salary cap nor the owner’s personal wealth. It’s about cash liquidity and weekly game income for each team.
I read a report that when the Rams were in St Louis with one of the richest owners, they were strapped for cash. In their first season in LA, playing in the Coliseum, a college stadium, they brought in more game day cash in week one than ever in St Louis, and have since quadrupled their game day profits.

I’m sure the Cowboys do well on game day, but I’m guessing no where near what the LA teams make. The Giants pull in 5 times what Jacksonville makes on game day. Bottom line is that these huge guarantees and signing bonuses that bring in or keep top players have very little to do with the salary cap or even team value. How much is the team bringing in weekly on the home games? That’s what most teams use for writing these huge checks, not the owner’s personal bank account which no financial advisor would support.

This is an area Jerry once was at the top of in the NFL, and one reason why he had a reputation of getting his man. Now there are other teams with big cash revenue.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Cap boy has what 23 million to play with and is still sitting on it? Meantime the Rams who looked like they had no cap room keep making their team better and keep their top talent. Hey but the Jones boys are rich and continue to milk their cash cow franchise and don't even have to compete let alone win a super bowl to do so.

The oddity in that appears to be the fundamentally meaningless goal it seems to be. I mean, Jerry did say he'd never consider selling his team, after all. It leads me to wonder if Stephen is merely content having the bragging rights over the team's worth, more than making the Cowboys a viable contender. Some hope he's planning on some big things for next year. We'll see if it's wishful thinking or not when the time comes. Right now, it seems a lot to ask.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ye

yep…..and the rams will suck for 5 years minimum after he leaves.

Oddly enough, my son mentioned that very thing yesterday evening, when we were discussing the Rams' situation. It's very possible.

Flamma

Reaction score
Right now and next year is a good time to get some of these big contracts out of the way. Teams should not drag it out. Because supposedly the cap is going to go up more than usual over the next 2-4 years. Probably not next year, but the years after that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Paying that much for a WR in their 6th year is dumb IMO.

terra

Reaction score
The Cowboys have always kept the guys they wanted to keep. Guys have always gotten, right or wrong, top pay at their positions. Look at Zach/Dak/Zeke/Dlaw/Cooper for evidence of that.

They had a very specific plan to get rid of the overpriced and undisciplined players on the team. BTW, Gregory not a WarDaddy, Collins not a roadgrader, and Coop wasn't our best WR last year.

Other than that, spot on.
show me rings.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oddly enough, my son mentioned that very thing yesterday evening, when we were discussing the Rams' situation. It's very possible.

They gave up a boat load of picks for Stafford and a few other trades. So they arent restocking their roster with young talent. They are also drafting low for what picks they do have left. That will leave a void. They are forced to go into FA to get whatever they need and overpay.

They made a decision to go for it all for a 2 or 3 year run and it worked great last year. Personally I think they got lucky with the schedule they played in the playoffs and then getting Cincy in the SB.

I think McVay knows it too and he will leave when that window is closed in a year or two. No way he goes through a rebuild.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Rams aren't doing anything Dallas hasn't already tried. They went through a period where they signed high priced free agents in need positions early in free agency. They moved money around and manipulated the cap just like the Rams are doing. The difference is Jerry and Stephen picked the wrong players, had seriously bad coaching in place, and have built a culture that doesn't demand hard work, accountability, and production that matches your contract. They got burned too many times and decided to stop. You have to have the coaches and culture to make what the Rams are doing work.
Plus, Aaron Donald. We've had several chances to take that type player, and generally went for CB's and WR's instead. Jerry simply doesn't comprehend what it takes to build a contender.

rambo2

Reaction score
It's just so frustrating watching teams that win be able to basically do whatever they want while Jerry and Stephen can't figure out how to keep our #4 WR.

The Rams have built a winning culture and players want to be a part of that.
The Rams also had to cut linebacker Travin Howard who had the clinching interception in the 49er game. They had to do this to do their recent big deals. It isn't all peaches and cream.

rambo2

Reaction score
Plus, Aaron Donald. We've had several chances to take that type player, and generally went for CB's and WR's instead. Jerry simply doesn't comprehend what it takes to build a contender.
See Parsons.

rambo2

Reaction score
And the Rams didn't get where they are by sitting on their hands every off-season.
Did the Cowboys sit on their hands last off season? They certainly added good players and coaches.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The Rams also had to cut linebacker Travin Howard who had the clinching interception in the 49er game. They had to do this to do their recent big deals. It isn't all peaches and cream.
Oh no! Not Travin Howard!

Whatever will they do without his 15 tackles last season and 2 career starts??????