News: Rams slip past Cowboys in NFL Week 1 after questionable PI call

BigD_95

Reaction score
Where does the rulebook say 100% needs to be necessary. All they need to notice is if the action creates the separation. Gallup did clearly push and despite the acting job by Ramsey, it did effectively create separation. Ramsey also didn't have Gallup's arm locked up and Gallup could have done an underhanded swim move to free his other hand to get in position to make the catch like I mentioned in the other thread.

I could careless what the exact rule book calls OPI because I see this or even more than this never being called. It was a BS call because it doesnt get called 99% of the time.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You must have deleted your post where you said Gallup could have his arm on Ramsey but that his arm wasn’t pinned. At the end where there is a slight extension of Gallup’s wrist, Ramsey clearly has Gallup’s arm pulled back. Again, this happens all the time and never gets called.

Edit: I missed the post,it’s still up. My point remains.
There is no pushoff that gave him separation.

He had separation. The corner was beat.

The only argument you have is that they were touching each other but calling that a OPI is just as weak as it would've been to say Ramsey had his arm wrapped. It did nothing to determine the outcome of the play.

Again, watch the video. Gallup's right arm is bent the entire way, and then goes straight just as he disengages with Ramsey. That's the pushoff. There's no "slight extension" of his wrist, it's the arm and then Gallup propels himself to the right in this clip. If the corner was beat then this maneuver was not necessary. Again, Gallup has a hand in Ramsey's chest here the whole way before disengaging so he's already trying to slow Ramsey to stay in front.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I could careless what the exact rule book calls OPI because I see this or even more than this never being called. It was a BS call because it doesnt get called 99% of the time.

Yeah well I see it called 99% of the time. This clip is proof. Where's your proof it's not?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Again, watch the video. Gallup's right arm is bent the entire way, and then goes straight just as he disengages with Ramsey. That's the pushoff. There's no "slight extension" of his wrist, it's the arm and then Gallup propels himself to the right in this clip. If the corner was beat then this maneuver was not necessary. Again, Gallup has a hand in Ramsey's chest here the whole way before disengaging so he's already trying to slow Ramsey to stay in front.

I've watched it.

You're watching it like someone that can make an argument on literally any play where a WR and DB touch each other which you probably technically could. Just like holding could be called on every play.

So technically Gallup touched him and Ramsey flailed but the reality is Gallup beat him on his route and the very minor hand fighting on the play had little outcome of what happened.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't blame refs for loses but this was a poor call, Gallup never pushes off. There was hand fighting by both but not enough to draw a flag on either guy. It was flat out bad call.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Of course Gallup can have his hand on Ramsey. He just can't push off to gain separation which he clearly did. It's simple. His arm was bent, wasn't pinned, locked or hooked by Ramsey (evident in that Gallup could have also done a swim move to better position that hand), and then his arm goes straight to push off in disengaging. Debatable if that was "enough" of a push off but why leave it to chance? If Ramsey was beat there was no need to do that. Do a swim move or leap above Ramsey. Either one could have gotten that done.

You keep pushing the idea of the swim move. I find after the fact fan comments about what a player could have done in real time to be a bit weak.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Ramsey got beat and sold it! It's shame they won't let these guys just battle it out and give us good match-ups. Whether Dallas would have went on to win or not isn't the point. The point is that the game is being ruined by these lame ticky-tacky calls that come on the most crucial moments. It's not why I fell in love with the game.

Then it's these flags that become the defining moment of the game. Instead of us talking about a great drive for a win or the Rams putting up a great stop, it's all about some ref throwing a lame flag.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I've watched it.

You're watching it like someone that can make an argument on literally any play where a WR and DB touch each other which you probably technically could. Just like holding could be called on every play.

So technically Gallup touched him and Ramsey flailed but the reality is Gallup beat him on his route and the very minor hand fighting on the play had little outcome of what happened.

If he had Ramsey beat then no need to give the officials a chance to call something. I agree that the degree of pushoff is debatable but it was a pushoff (and acting by Ramsey) that according to you wasn't necessary. There were other ways to get that right arm into position because Ramsey didn't pin it. Just can't leave that to chance.

aria

Reaction score
Why is this flag even an issue but the hands to the face of Goff that resulted in an INT and points isn’t? Can we get a GIF of that or do some of you not want to acknowledge that we also benefit from the refs?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You keep pushing the idea of the swim move. I find after the fact fan comments about what a player could have done in real time to be a bit weak.

And I find fans' over-reactive, altering of reality worthy of poking with a stick.

So you're saying the push-off was the ONLY thing Gallup could have done there with his arm not pinned? The swim move is what Beckham did to Carr to make that famous one-handed grab. That was textbook and brilliant hand-check work. Gotta expand your craft if you want to win consistently.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If he had Ramsey beat then no need to give the officials a chance to call something. I agree that the degree of pushoff is debatable but it was a pushoff (and acting by Ramsey) that according to you wasn't necessary. There were other ways to get that right arm into position because Ramsey didn't pin it. Just can't leave that to chance.

Even the replay analyst who normally defends the refs on these replay reviews said it should not have been called. It was a bad call. I can't say that we would have won the game, tied the game or lost the game but there is no doubt that was a poor call.

Cap12

Reaction score
If he had Ramsey beat then no need to give the officials a chance to call something. I agree that the degree of push-off is debatable but it was a push-off (and acting by Ramsey) that according to you wasn't necessary. There were other ways to get that right arm into position because Ramsey didn't pin it. Just can't leave that to chance.
You can't really "push-off" on arms. At no point does Gallup touch Ramsey's Torso (though Ramsey touches Gallup's shoulder). That is the biggest knock to your argument. The fact that Corrente is arguing so hard only further proves that you're wrong, lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Even the replay analyst who normally defends the refs on these replay reviews said it should not have been called. It was a bad call. I can't say that we would have won the game, tied the game or lost the game but there is no doubt that was a poor call.

It's a judgment call so different people are going to have different judgments. I've said it's debatable but can also see how it could have been called when you break down the video.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's a judgment call so different people are going to have different judgments. I've said it's debatable but can also see how it could have been called when you break down the video.

all PI are judgement calls, the non pass interference in the Saints playoff game a couple of years ago was a judgement call but does not change the fact that it was still a bad call. This was a bad call. Again I don't place blame of the loss on the ref but I have repeatedly watched this play and there was contact by both players no more than most every pass play and should not have been called period

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You can't really "push-off" on arms. At no point does Gallup touch Ramsey's Torso (though Ramsey touches Gallup's shoulder). That is the biggest knock to your argument. The fact that Corrente is arguing so hard only further proves that you're wrong, lol.

LOL. The biggest knock to your argument is you're lying. And still you peddle this lie even after I've busted you on 2 of them. Gallup is doing nothing but touching (and pushing) Ramsey's torso as this clip begins. Your other lie was that Ramsey initiated contact. Gallup has a hand in Ramsey's chest here and only after that does Ramsey's hand move over to Gallup's shoulder but he still doesn't pin Gallp's arm down that he can't move it. Know when you're beat. I'd draw the line at 1 lie. Lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
all PI are judgement calls, the non pass interference in the Saints playoff game a couple of years ago was a judgement call but does not change the fact that it was still a bad call. This was a bad call. Again I don't place blame of the loss on the ref but I have repeatedly watched this play and there was contact by both players no more than most every pass play and should not have been called period

To put this on the same level as that Saints no-call is criminal. There's stuff here that actually could be called. The degree to which is debatable. The Saints call was not.

Cap12

Reaction score
I think the major reason most people who see the video disagree is that:

At no time does Gallup hook Ramsey or touch his torso (chest, shoulder, stomach area, etc), so where would Gallup's hard or arm get the leverage to cause the force that would drive Ramsey backward the way it did? Despite what Corrente said, there was no "full extension" by Gallup. What you see is Ramsey and Gallup hand-checking down the field with Gallup getting position in the end. It's insulting to Gallup to say that his speed, quickness and savvy are not good enough to beat Ramsey (as good as Ramsey is), but anybody watching that tape can't tell me that Gallup shoved Ramsey to get position. He just had better leverage in hand-checking (and Ramsey cheated).