Randall Cobb stock declining

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The part that's bothering me most are Cobb's connection to turnovers. He's too often involved in them for my tastes.

He's in a slump lately, that's for sure. I'm hoping he'll work his way out of his doldrums, because it doesn't seem altogether likely that there's anyone fully prepared to replace him right now on the team. I think he'll probably be used more and more sparingly if he doesn't snap out of it. Not at all sure if Wilson has ever served in that capacity but he might have to be called upon to take a crash course and give it a try if this continues. Let's hope it doesn't persist.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cobb began the season looking like a good acquisition in offseason as a suitable replacement for Beasley. Since his injury hasn’t been as productive .

He had the second Dallas turnover contributing to the 12-3 deficit before the Cowboys scored 10 points in the final minute of 1st half to take the lead for good.

He also had a drop in NY territory the last time Cowboys had to settle for a field goal and a 16-12 lead.

Definitely will need to be replaced in the offseason.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Nice lame line signifying nothing.

And yet the numbers clearly show that he's been far more productive.

Save the attempted Cowboys bias for someone who doesn't pay attention to the numbers that actually matter.
Far more productive?

Beasley avg 4.4 receptions and 42 yards per game. 35 receptions on 54 targets on the year
Cobb avg 3.6 receptions and 39 yards per game. 25 catches on 38 targets on the year

kskboys

Reaction score
Which simply means (using all your reasons stated above) that Beasley HAS to be more of a focus in the offensive scheme especially the short passing game (his strength).

Simple breakdown and explanation of his better numbers. Does not mean he is more skilled.

Look, I like CB but I think #18 on the Cowboys is simply more of a threat on the Cowboys' team to score or make the big splash play. Cheaper too.
It doesn't appear that you understand the role of a slot WR.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Far more productive?

Beasley avg 4.4 receptions and 42 yards per game. 35 receptions on 54 targets on the year
Cobb avg 3.6 receptions and 39 yards per game. 25 catches on 38 targets on the year

Yep. The truth may hurt considering that the team chose Cobb over keeping Beasley but it doesn't make it any less true.

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2019&player_id2=CobbRa00&idx=players

And don't leave out the 3 to 1 touchdown comparison either. Points win games.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I expected more from him... I get that he may have lost a step— but drops and fumbles are mistakes a vet with his pedigree should rarely make.

I thought he would be a reliable, tough, possession WR for Dak that would finish with something like 50 receptions 500 yards and 4-6 TDs.

He can still get there if he turns things around— but his inconsistent play is hurting the team too much

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I have to admit. I was in the Cobb was a big improvement over Beasley camp. Leadership, experience wise I still believe he is. Production on the field though? Not even close. Cole has been more sure handed and not caused as many turnovers (indirectly and directly).

I do think a slot receiver will be in order for the draft next year. Maybe even via free agency. Once Tavon and Randall are gone. Who knows, if Cobb gets nicked up a game or two. They might just realize Smith is capable and be good to go with personnel they already have too.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Apples to Oranges. Buffalo doesn't have a WR group anywhere near Dallas, of course Cole is going to get more looks.
To be fair Cole doesn't have the QB or offense that Dallas has.

This is a good example of why I'm not crazy about stats in football - way too many variables and moving parts.

As far as Cobb vs Cole I like both but, for this team I'd rather Cole or a Cole type - a guy thats QUICK and gets open underneath real fast.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
To be fair Cole doesn't have the QB or offense that Dallas has.

This is a good example of why I'm not crazy about stats in football - way too many variables and moving parts.

As far as Cobb vs Cole I like both but, for this team I'd rather Cole or a Cole type - a guy thats QUICK and gets open underneath real fast.
That was my point, Buffalo doesn't have the weapons to spread it around like Dallas does.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yep. The truth may hurt considering that the team chose Cobb over keeping Beasley but it doesn't make it any less true.

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2019&player_id2=CobbRa00&idx=players

And don't leave out the 3 to 1 touchdown comparison either. Points win games.
And cobb has been unlucky that he's had a couple of TD's erased by penalties. Spin it however you want, but the stats are clear that they are essentially the same production wise this year. 1 catch and 3 yds per game does not = far more productive. Plus we are getting the production for $5M this year while Buffalo is paying $8.5M for the same production.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watch the games. Beasley never outran anyone.
He’s playing better than Cobb though. Neither are world beaters but Beasley has scored a TD the last 3 games in a row.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And cobb has been unlucky that he's had a couple of TD's erased by penalties. Spin it however you want, but the stats are clear that they are essentially the same production wise this year.

Seriously? You're using the term "unlucky" while claiming the other guys is "spinning"? That's hilarious Super Fan. No, some of use don't need to spin, we have facts. And stats that clearly upset the homers.

1 catch and 3 yds per game does not = far more productive. Plus we are getting the production for $5M this year while Buffalo is paying $8.5M for the same production.

Points win games. 3 TD's is "far more productive" than 1. Suck it up buttercup. But Buffalo isn't paying for "the same production". You can lie to yourself, not to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s playing better than Cobb though. Neither are world beaters but Beasley has scored a TD the last 3 games in a row.

Careful. The homers don't like reading the truth. They'll come for you.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is a kid at Texas right now, Devin Duvernay, he reminds me of a young Randall Cobb. He won't be a 1st round pick IMO. I am not certain where he will get drafted, I'm guessing anywhere from 2nd to 5th round, depending on how he finishes off the season but I think he can be a really good WR in the NFL for somebody.

JMO