Randall Cobb stock declining

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly. I don't like him personally either and part of me is glad that he's gone. But that doesn't mean I ignore what he's doing while trying to make Cobb look better than he is. I'm not going to lie to myself about it or have anyone else lie to me about it either.
I agree with ksboys. Beasley price tag was too high.

I liked the acquisition of Cobb and early on looked like a solid move. But I’d say recently his stock has declined and why I thought this thread had some validity to discuss.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
He has been kind of all over the place to me. Some really nice plays and some plays like Monday night that just make you cringe. With that said, I still don't hate the acquisition and am hopeful he is still finding his groove in Dallas. Maybe he will settle in with the team/offense/QB as the season progresses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
not really hes had some TDs called back a few other plays go unnoticed and hes our 3-4 option on this Offense as it goes

Zeke
Amari
Gallup
Witten/Jarwin
then Cobb/Pollard

Look we only have so many touches per game, those first 3 games we went super pass heavy and lit the air up, then we lost 3 in row where our Defense was losing TOP badly and that limited our possesions, add to it we went back to making Zeke and the run game more prominent that again its hard to get to your 3-4-5 players in the pecking order..im sure there will be some games down the road where he proves a good backup which he is..

CB over in Buffalo is getting more opportunitys and we shouldnt be comparing them anyway..CB left more for money and more touches, we didnt have use for either..
That’s a fair analysis.

Would you say Cobbs stock has dropped, increased or stayed the same after recent performances?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with ksboys. Beasley price tag was too high.

I liked the acquisition of Cobb and early on looked like a solid move. But I’d say recently his stock has declined and why I thought this thread had some validity to discuss.

Given what this team has chosen to spend money on, the difference between the cost of Beasley and Cobb is negligible at worst.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-10318/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/randall-cobb-7783/

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Cobb was always overrated. People were remembering all the highlight plays with Rodgers, but he hasn't been that guy for a couple of years. If he were, the Pack wouldn't have let him go.

Beasley is more one-dimensional, but he's darned good at that one dimension.

Considering the money, it was an okay "trade." Just don't expect too much from Cobb.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
yeh, Cobb may be a more dynamic open field runner and a better vertical threat, but I don't think he's as consistent in terms of getting open in that slot role and catching the ball as Beasley was.
Cole gave us more in terms of underneath and east-west directions whereas Cobb can give us more north-south in terms of the more downfield range.
and he's a better punt returner than Cole, but when you think of it, we're not really getting that much big splash from any of our punt returners ..and that even includes the more speedier Austin.

But hey, we tried to re-sign Cole with an later offer, before he opted to sign a much more lucrative deal with Buffalo, and he's doing well there in his role as I've heard.
Wish him well as he was the best slot WR I've ever seen play here, imo. But he's gone and we're focusing on the current guys here.

Also keep in mind that Cobb has had 4 TDs called back because of penalties, including a recent one because of Tyrone Smith.
So it's not like he hasn't did his share of producing big plays.

Good stat on the TDs called back. The Dallas OL has hurt the offense with penalties all year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cobb began the season looking like a good acquisition in offseason as a suitable replacement for Beasley. Since his injury hasn’t been as productive .

He had the second Dallas turnover contributing to the 12-3 deficit before the Cowboys scored 10 points in the final minute of 1st half to take the lead for good.

He also had a drop in NY territory the last time Cowboys had to settle for a field goal and a 16-12 lead.
he has been quite underwhelming...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
hes had a few bad plays of late/.it happens to all players, IMO he still better in this offense than cole..cole was a one trick pony, I liked him but Cobb can play more positions and be more physical down field..
None of this has shown to be true at all.

Because it hasn't been true for years. He does absolutely nothing down the field.

quickccc

Reaction score
Randall Cobb has lots of miles on him -- probably one of the reasons why GB let him go. He's still a valuable part of our offense, imho.

Nevertheless, he'll possibly see some stiff competition in training camp next year, when he'll turn 30. He's no spring chicken anymore!

Stiff competition won't likely come from any one that is already on the roster from the way it looks.
Cedrick Wilson ? Tavon Austin ? Devin Smith ? Noah Brown ? Jonvea Johnson ?

i think Austin would get beaten alive on the inside and you always have to be weary of his durability issues to addition ofball security issues. I think he's clearly more suited
as a open field gimmick/return guy than a tough underneath possession type. And he has average hands and low catch radius.
Not like this is Seattle's Tyler Lockett.

Wilson and Devin were even declared game inactive vs NYG - and Devin is not going to be on this next year as I get the feeling the coaches are that soured on him since the Saints game.
and that's disturbing as if either Coop or Gally get injured and out, we are down to having Austin in the lineup full time.. and that sounds like a disaster.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Zeke this year has changed that and that ONE fumble hes had in EIGHT Games in NO, WAS NOT A FUMBLE.. bad replay and bad call..
Exactly! And by the way Burkehead from NE had the exact same fumble ruled not a fumble by replay on Sunday.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Given what this team has chosen to spend money on, the difference between the cost of Beasley and Cobb is negligible at worst.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-10318/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/randall-cobb-7783/
Thanks for the info . Based on salary and investment I think I’d rather have Cobb. Beasley IMO simply didn’t warrant 4 years 29 million.

But that still doesn’t dismiss the fact Cobbs stock could be declining.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
He can drop 10 more balls for all I care just as long as this team keeps winning and I'm not having to watch Mini-M&M doing his best black cat impression game in and game out.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Completely disagree. His role won't be flashy or a as a "home run hitter" in this offense. I think he's PERFECT for our offense and we're tough to stop when we're not beating ourselves. He's sure handed. The fumble was basically a perfect storm of getting hit at EXACT moment of a spin and hat on ball. Just happens. Also the OP makes no mention of a beautiful route for a TD called back. Also vs Philly he nearly scores on a slant extending the ball to the one inch line. He gets the dirty yards. Several key catches that extend the sticks. I love what he brings and balances out the receiving core.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
And he may be "used more because he's more productive".

Fact is that Cobb has every advantage:
  1. Better quarterback
  2. Better offensive line protecting that quarterback
  3. Better running game opening things up
  4. Better receivers drawing attention away from him
And yet Beasley has outperformed him so far.

Which simply means (using all your reasons stated above) that Beasley HAS to be more of a focus in the offensive scheme especially the short passing game (his strength).

Simple breakdown and explanation of his better numbers. Does not mean he is more skilled.

Look, I like CB but I think #18 on the Cowboys is simply more of a threat on the Cowboys' team to score or make the big splash play. Cheaper too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which simply means (using all your reasons stated above) that Beasley HAS to be more of a focus in the offensive scheme especially the short passing game (his strength).

Simple breakdown and explanation of his better numbers. Does not mean he is more skilled.

I'm not concerned with debating an abstratct waste of time like "more skilled", I'm concerned with more productive, which Beasley has clearly shown to be. The rest is noise and not worth my time.

Look, I like CB but I think #18 on the Cowboys is simply more of a threat on the Cowboys' team to score or make the big splash play. Cheaper too.

All evidence to the contrary. He may be cheaper, but then we get what we pay for. Less results.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think he's PERFECT for our offense and we're tough to stop when we're not beating ourselves. He's sure handed.
He's one of the least reliable receivers in the NFL. He has 4 drops on 38 targets, and that's generous scoring. His overall catch % (65.8) is abysmal considering how shallow his targets are.

Other than, I guess, being in the right spot, he does absolutely nothing well.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't miss Beasley's attitude either, but that doesn't mean I'll ignore the fact that he's been more productive in Buffalo than Cobb has been here to this point.

Cobb's miscues and the turnovers have me frustrated with him.

His performance has been tailing off lately, no question. He'll either get his act together or get less attention as the games continue. I'm expecting the Cowboys to replace him next year if he's unable to step it up. Who knows, it might even come sooner if he continues to struggle. We'll see.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Stiff competition won't likely come from any one that is already on the roster from the way it looks.
Cedrick Wilson ? Tavon Austin ? Devin Smith ? Noah Brown ? Jonvea Johnson ?

i think Austin would get beaten alive on the inside and you always have to be weary of his durability issues to addition ofball security issues. I think he's clearly more suited
as a open field gimmick/return guy than a tough underneath possession type. And he has average hands and low catch radius.
Not like this is Seattle's Tyler Lockett.

Wilson and Devin were even declared game inactive vs NYG - and Devin is not going to be on this next year as I get the feeling the coaches are that soured on him since the Saints game.
and that's disturbing as if either Coop or Gally get injured and out, we are down to having Austin in the lineup full time.. and that sounds like a disaster.

My hopes for anyone currently here taking Cobbs place are fairly questionable, as well. Wilson has talent as does Smith but possibly, they're not familiar with playing that position sufficiently to be relied upon. Our best bet is probably to hope Cobb can step it up or just hang on 'til were able to find someone to take his place next year. It'd help if he can settle down and correct his mistakes, though. Austin is injury prone, so his reps will be kept minimal in view of that consideration. I'm expecting we'll stick with Cobb until a better option is available, though. Let's hope he's able to work out of his slump, in the meantime.

Praxit

Reaction score
.....IMO Cobb has done well, just some bad luck. 2 TD's called back on penalties, some dropped balls but he can work on those. Overall he's part of the offense machine and moves the chains.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His performance has been tailing off lately, no question. He'll either get his act together or get less attention as the games continue. I'm expecting the Cowboys to replace him next year if he's unable to step it up. Who knows, it might even come sooner if he continues to struggle. We'll see.

The part that's bothering me most are Cobb's connection to turnovers. He's too often involved in them for my tastes.