Randy Gregory’s agent gives their version of decision to ditch Cowboys for Broncos

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Smoke it up Randy. Good luck staying out of trouble.

mr short---- it has occured only 5 times in NFL hisotory according to Mike Fishter Dallas Cowboys....that a contract was agreed upon all the way up to point of signing and then ...dumped like Gregory

it is the usual demoralizing sickening managerial style of Jones's.....we now have consistently high marks drafting players....and most of the time very low low marks managing players.....i am a total

fair weather fan during off season because of this kind of stuff....if not a family ran business all of them fired for incompetency.....cannot trust a word out of leaders mouths.....bad look.....better to be honest

and lose than appear winning and lose out

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
The REAL reason was WEED is legal in Denver. Smoke it out in the streets, in your car on the way to practice, everywhere 24/7. He's in heaven. No way in Hades the word "fine" blew up the deal. LOL

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Randy Gregory and his agent, Peter Schaffer, weren’t going to get into a back and forth with the Cowboys over Gregory’s decision to not sign with Dallas but to instead jump to Denver. But since the Cowboys are complaining to reporters about what transpired, Schaffer has decided to tell Gregory’s story.

Schaffer told PFT by phone on Tuesday evening that he had negotiated an agreement between Gregory and the Broncos, and that it was basically done on Monday night. Then, the Cowboys got heavily involved.

Per Schaffer, owner and G.M. Jerry Jones got Gregory on the phone to make the pitch. The Cowboys increased their offer to match Denver’s. As Schaffer tells it, the Cowboys told Gregory, “‘We love you, we will support you. This is the best place for you. We know who you are.'”

Gregory then decided not to sign with the Broncos, and to stay with the Cowboys. But next came the actual contract from the Cowboys. Schaffer said he was surprised to find language wiping out all guarantees in the event of any fine imposed by the NFL.

“No other teams have that language in their contracts,” Schaffer told PFT. “No other teams. Never in 30 years have I seen that language.”

Teams usually void guarantees in the event of a suspension. The Cowboys void guarantees in the event of a fine.

Schaffer said that the move bothered Gregory. The Cowboys had fallen behind in the negotiations, and then Jerry got personally involved. He cited the personal relationship, the familiarity.

Randy Gregory’s agent gives their version of decision to ditch Cowboys for Broncos (msn.com)

If Jerry had an ounce of wisdom he would have played dumb...and said "What"?????...how did that get in contract...removie it immediately and give Randy xtra bonus for the bonehead that put that in there....but JOnes's stick with Gregory through thick and thin and then last second start chiseling him......totally agree with Gregory to cut bait...yes Gregory has had sub par years but watch him explode in Denver ....i wish we dumped DLAW.....pay him top 3 pass rusher and he dont get sacks...so what if he play run well....dont need pash rusher to do that...plud DLAW will get hurt again as usual and we played great without him last year....losing Cedrick was pure stupidity....i get the Cooper one but not Cedrick...he played better than Gallup a lot of the time.....off season Cowboys is so sickening....time to lay down off season Plats we shoot ourselves in foot....i would win every won of them and you all know it

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I was for cutting ties with Gregory several years ago. He’s not dependable and really not that impactful on a regular basis. I’m glad we didn’t invest more in him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't like Gregory but what they pulled and the dust off of Gregory's agent by this bloated lucky sperm didn't help. So, he doesn't even negotiate the deals directly with a player they want to keep? How many part-time management people do they have?

Funny part is the agent wasn't going public until the Joneses pulled their usual crap and he put them where they belong, an embarrassment.

And once again, the Joneses are caught in a lie. They do not have guarantee voiders for fines, except this one.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i like RG.
helluva story to over come his addictions.
but at the end of the day...you can't trust him.
i'm not gonna miss lining up off-sides or the dumb penalties.
i'll miss him...and his exceptional quickness off the snap...but not all the stupid stuff.
and he's smart as hell so he knows better.
at that price....denver can have him.
i'll draft a david ojabo,mich or travon walker,georgia at 24....or myjai sanders,cin...kingsley enagbare,s carolina or a drake jackson,usc at 56 and move on.
rooted like hell for RG94.
helluva story.
can't trust him.
and i'm not lookin' to give a crap load of money to someone i can't trust.
or who can't line up correctly or tackles ot drawing another stupid penalty.

birdwells1

Reaction score
How can you compete with other teams for day 1 free agents when you have this in you contract. Oh yeah that's right we don't sign day 1 free agents.

Think about it, the Cowboys contract structure is designed to only sign their own or players on prove it deals.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Potentially a great player. Track record of being a dope-head. None of my guys are dope-heads. I don't want them around me, much less putting my reputation or business in jeopardy - and none of them make $70M.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Nothing about the agents' interview posts him in a better light. Especially when he says "never in my 30 years have I seen that," given it was in Gregory's last contract.

Seems to me that they felt the Broncos REALLY wanted him, and the feeling was mutual. Then the Cowboys said - nope - we really want you too,and will pay you the same. Sent the contract and during the review, Agent found something he didn't like and instead of calling the Cowboys and trying to get it out, they just invented a "slight" against Gregory and moved the Broncos.

I mean, definitely some things I wish the COwboys did differently; but that does NOT characterize a "last minute language change." Low class by Schaffer.

CoachD

Reaction score
This will be the undoing of Gregory, he won't even play out his contract and that I guarantee.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
unless I’m reading it wrong, this could be a fine for a late hit. Doesn’t mean Dallas would void guarantees, but if he’s in the midst of a sub par season, they could entertain the idea

The Cowboys wanted to work on the language with Gregory. That would have allowed them to all define what this stipulation meant and come to an agreement. Gregory and his agent balked at the original language and went (back) to the Broncos. This whole thing wreaks. It stinks from all angles. And Gregory is not remotely worth the amount of stink this has caused. It's time for everyone to move on.

Good luck in Denver, Randy.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I am glad he went to Denver I mean he may turn out to be good. But he has been average at best in Dallas. Never had more the 6 sacks in a season and don't get me started on how he continuously let the cowboys down with his suspensions. Guys like him you do not waste big money on.

Next. Heck look at his and Dorrance Armstrong numbers. Look quite similar other than the 3 forced fumbles and 1 int by Randy. Dorrance has a defensive touchdown.
If you can get Dorrance much cheaper than maybe that may be better for the team. I mean its not like Randy Gregory was great.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Do not underestimate the fact that recreational use of weed is legal in Colorado.

It is not in Texas.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Honestly sounds like the Broncos wanted him more.

Yeah, it’s a lot to give up for a player with a ton of suspensions that you don’t know personally. Perhaps Dallas’s insistence on retaining him told them what they needed to know

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Nothing about the agents' interview posts him in a better light. Especially when he says "never in my 30 years have I seen that," given it was in Gregory's last contract.

Seems to me that they felt the Broncos REALLY wanted him, and the feeling was mutual. Then the Cowboys said - nope - we really want you too,and will pay you the same. Sent the contract and during the review, Agent found something he didn't like and instead of calling the Cowboys and trying to get it out, they just invented a "slight" against Gregory and moved the Broncos.

I mean, definitely some things I wish the COwboys did differently; but that does NOT characterize a "last minute language change." Low class by Schaffer.

Was it not because of the voiding of guarantees for fines, not suspensions? Suspensions I get. Fines I do not. If that was the case, I'd bolt too.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s a lot to give up for a player with a ton of suspensions that you don’t know personally. Perhaps Dallas’s insistence on retaining him told them what they needed to know

Denver offer came first. I think Denver is just trying to win now and not considering future complications. Following the Rams strategy…