Randy Gregory Extended

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
But the position and trying to fill it does cost. Instead of shopping for DE once again it would be nice addressing other areas instead of the same position over and over.
He also doesnt take up a roster spot if suspended.

Instead of shopping for DE? We just traded for Quinn and 3 of our 20 confirmed predraft visitors are DEs. Gregory getting $700k added is not influencing them either way on DE.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Randy contributes handily for as long as he's able to play. Therein lies the primary motivation to retain him.

If he were playing full time, the FO would be shelling out multi millions of moneys they value tremendously.

7 sacks in 4 season can be replaced. Frankly his play is not great, he is a decent player nothing more.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Why do you care if he gets $300k?

Because the eternal hope that he might play keeps the team from drafting a player who could help the team game in and game out.

Let me ask you this - if he never plays again, will you say he was worth what money he did get? And if so, what did it do for the Cowboys?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Actual Cash Payouts to Randy Gregory - by year (assuming he remains suspended the entire 2019 season):

2015 - $1,469,499
2016 - $ 107,365 (suspended 14 games)
2017 - $ 0 (suspended 16 games)
2018 - $ 781,813
2019 - $ 310,000 (suspended 16 games)
2020 - $ 645,217
2021 - $ 735,000

Total - $4,048,894 divided by 6 seasons = $674,816 per season. Even divided by only 3 seasons of actual games played, it comes to just over $1M per season, and is still less than the Cowboys paid Gavin Escobar. The Cowboys paid 2013 2nd round pick Gavin Escobar $4,210,496 and got much less production for Escobar than Gregory has already produced.

Also, given that Gregory was considered a top 10 pick before his marijuana problems surfaced, his lost opportunity is great. Let's just suppose he performed like a top 10 pick without the marijuana problems. Todd Gurley was picked 10th overall in 2015, and he has already received $33,453,202 in salary & bonuses, and is guaranteed another $18,050,000 in 2019 and 2020 - for a total guaranteed income of $51,503,202 over his first 6 seasons in the NFL - an average of $8,583,867 per season.

Bottom Line: Randy Gregory's addiction has cost him untold millions of dollars. To those of us who annually don't make big bucks, it seems ridiculous that Gregory is still employed. But from an NFL perspective, he's paid a very, very high price.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Instead of shopping for DE? We just traded for Quinn and 3 of our 20 confirmed predraft visitors are DEs. Gregory getting $700k added is not influencing them either way on DE.

I would rather see them address the spot with players they can depend on not reward an idiot with an extension. It is stupid to continue with a player who can't be counted on. I know of no NFL team who would do such a thing. Every year it is the same question will he flunk yet another test? will he be suspended? As for his play last year was his 1st full season after drafting him in 2015 he got 6 sacks on the season sorry but that can be replaced, he is not some world beater. he is not Charles Haley he is a JAG with a problem and this team is foolish to continue on with him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Because the eternal hope that he might play keeps the team from drafting a player who could help the team game in and game out.

Let me ask you this - if he never plays again, will you say he was worth what money he did get? And if so, what did it do for the Cowboys?
Copy and paste:

I frankly don't care if he gets the extra $300K, it wasnt my money and didnt effect the team negatively, which is what I care about. Helping the team win.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Assuming everything works out for Randy (I'm not hopeful), I love the move.

Low risk, very high reward. I don't feel like the Joneses would extend him if there was nothing there.
What's the high reward? He was drafted in 2015 and has 7 career sacks.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I would rather see them address the spot with players they can depend on not reward an idiot with an extension. It is stupid to continue with a player who can't be counted on. I know of no NFL team who would do such a thing. Every year it is the same question will he flunk yet another test? will he be suspended? As for his play last year was his 1st full season after drafting him in 2015 he got 6 sacks on the season sorry but that can be replaced, he is not some world beater. he is not Charles Haley he is a JAG with a problem and this team is foolish to continue on with him.

I'm going to blow your mind here.

There is, in fact, middle ground between one of the best players at the position ever(Haley) and a JAG. CRAZY I KNOW!!!!
Gregory isn't JAG.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Copy and paste:

I frankly don't care if he gets the extra $300K, it wasnt my money and didnt effect the team negatively, which is what I care about. Helping the team win.

Yes and with needs at DT, Safety and TE those should be the focus not DE once again.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm going to blow your mind here.

There is, in fact, middle ground between one of the best players at the position ever(Haley) and a JAG. CRAZY I KNOW!!!!
Gregory isn't JAG.

Gregory is a JAG who has done little to nothing for this team, hell he can't manage to stay on the field. You may think he is some great player to me he is a punk who can't be trusted or relied on and those are big keys for any NFL player which is why no team would bother with a player like that

blueblood70

Reaction score
This organization has become the poster child for making commitments to players who lack reliability.
so when NE picks up these kinds of players, most recently Gordon who quit on them, I guess they are smarter? all teams do this and paper is paper he can easily be cut without pay and no real risk for the Cowboys IF its for suspensions etc..maybe they have real reason and im trusting billion dollar corporation and the people Jerry was in meeting with that said do this for whatever reason then a bunch of internet GMs that think they have a clue abut running professional sports team..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes and with needs at DT, Safety and TE those should be the focus not DE once again.
without knowing Tanks status they should prepare for the worse and Gregory was already on the roster , no harm done..it wont keep them from adding anyone else..how about worry about football and not daily FO operations you know nothing about..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so when NE picks up these kinds of players, most recently Gordon who quit on them, I guess they are smarter? all teams do this and paper is paper he can easily be cut without pay and no real risk for the Cowboys IF its for suspensions etc..maybe they have real reason and im trusting billion dollar corporation and the people Jerry was in meeting with that said do this for whatever reason then a bunch of internet GMs that think they have a clue abut running professional sports team..
NE takes chances on players for sure. They just don’t continue giving chance after chance after chance to the same guy.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
JJ will make Randy Gregory the face of getting rid of the marijuana rule in the NFL.

I mean, it's cheap enough and the guy oozes talent when he can stay on the field. I'm with you: seems to me they're betting the NFL allows cannabis relatively soon. I wouldn't hold my breath on that, unless some Pats or Giants players get into a spot similar to Gregory....then maybe. Gordon doesn't count BTW: he's a washed up loser IMO. Gregory is in his prime.