Randy Gregory Extended

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That tied him for 54th in the league for sacks in 2018. Again, where is this high reward?

I would just point out that Gregory wasn't a starter, can't compare him to somebody who played full time and got more sacks, we'd have to see how many sacks he got per play. Of course also as a part time player he's mostly put in where he can "pin his ears back" and focus solely on rushing the passer, that gives him more opportunity per play to get sacks, but a DE needs to be able to play the run also, which is why Tank is even being considered for $20 mil a year...

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
That tied him for 54th in the league for sacks in 2018. Again, where is this high reward?
The high reward is that he is a freak talent that is still progressing in this league.

You do remember that he was able to consistently pressure the QB despite not being active in football or the football regimen in over a year, right? 6 sacks for less than a million dollars a year is a steal. Quinn put up those numbers last season for Miami and look what we're paying him.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Bob, would you not take another 6 sacks for $700k?

Sure, but he's likely going to be banned from the league because he can't stop smoking. I don't really care about the money, it's not mine. It's just clear the guy values weed over football. That's fine, but don't hype him up as Lawrence Taylor when he's the 54th in the league in sacks in his most productive season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sure, but he's likely going to be banned from the league because he can't stop smoking. I don't really care about the money, it's not mine. It's just clear the guy values weed over football. That's fine, but don't hype him up as Lawrence Taylor when he's the 54th in the league in sacks in his most productive season.
We are OVER the moon excited to be paying 8M for a guy coming off 6.5 sacks.
Adding a year at 775K for a pass rusher of any sort is good business.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He had 40 pressures last year on limited snaps. That's helping the team win whether you recognize that or not is not my issue.

So now he's suspended, how many pressures will he have this year? None, if he stays suspended.

Look, I am going on the total package for Gregory. Sure he has talent and has shown he can play in this league, when he's on the field. But the fact is also that he's proven that he can't stay on the field. What if he does stay clean for a year and does well and the Cowboys say "well, he's made it, we can forget about Tank or another DE, Gregory fills the bill", and he once again gets suspended? Now the team will likely have to overpay for an emergency replacement.

To me, the risk outweighs the reward. I know you see vice versa, and I can understand that, but neither of us is going to change the other's mind, but it's good to debate the issue.

:thumbup:

DFWJC

Reaction score
the cost was next to nothing and if he is suspended he doesn't count against a roster spot, I think.

I'd be fine cutting ties, but not really opposed to this. Limited downside and possibly (maybe far-fetched) big upside

cern

Reaction score
not likely he'll ever play a full season in the nfl due to his problems, but a better character than david irving. and if he's suspended, doesn't cost a penny. que sera, sera.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since we don't know what this last suspension is based on and Booger seems optimistic that he will be cleared to play, this is an interesting move and one that shows he still has confidence in Gregory.

One thing about Booger. If he'll take a risk on a player, he's all in. He will give them enough rope to hang themselves or climb out of the hole they're in.

Interesting about Gregory, when I look at him or watch him play, he doesn't come off as a smart guy or player like those two brain farts in LA but according to what I've read from those that know him, there's a Randy Gregory we don't know.

I know he pisses us off, especially when we could really use him if the Lawrence deal goes south, but this isn't just a case of him preferring weed over football. Which brings up a question for the CBA guys, is there a rule not allowing teams to test their own players? I wonder if the reason they're willing to go the distance with him is that they have their own test results?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yeah I think this forum is all out of April fools jokes. They all sucked.

But back to reality.
Take that back,, take it back ,oh no you can't say that,,, cuz' the SUCKAGE of SAM'S soup can is still pretty prevalently apparent as yer' bouncing it off the walls / around corners like a hand grenade,,,pal,,, the SAM'S soup can of suckage grenade ,,,available this summer by SAMMOo_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
Since we don't know what this last suspension is based on and Booger seems optimistic that he will be cleared to play, this is an interesting move and one that shows he still has confidence in Gregory.

One thing about Booger. If he'll take a risk on a player, he's all in. He will give them enough rope to hang themselves or climb out of the hole they're in.

Interesting about Gregory, when I look at him or watch him play, he doesn't come off as a smart guy or player like those two brain farts in LA but according to what I've read from those that know him, there's a Randy Gregory we don't know.

I know he pisses us off, especially when we could really use him if the Lawrence deal goes south, but this isn't just a case of him preferring weed over football. Which brings up a question for the CBA guys, is there a rule not allowing teams to test their own players? I wonder if the reason they're willing to go the distance with him is that they have their own test results?
apparently the cowboys and others feel Gregory's problems are psychological/medical, and not an act of open defiance like the idiot david irving.

ESisback

Reaction score
And it's about damb time ,too! at least ways no lost sleep I'll be suffering from the thru the anguished stress of anguishment of future worries upon my furrowed brow doing to the stress induced by that damb anguishing

Yoda says “Sarcasm, good you are at!”

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

:starspin::clap::starspin:
Intriguingly profound insights for the sightless to "see" from within their reasoned grasp ,my eldest brother:thumbup:

* Man, what a stunner it was to me in seeing JR.'S statement about Quinn & Gregory sharing reps:huh: ,,, honest truth,,,

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s the lowest risk we could almost take.
If he comes back, last year he had like 8 sacks.
For 730k, that’s major.
If not, he’s half of what deonte Thompson cost
Doesn’t it also assume that we couldn’t do any better than Randy Gregory? We can’t find anyone else?

ESisback

Reaction score
Jerry is banking no weed testing in next CBA so he can play in 2020.

That’s my take because King Roger ain’t letting him play this year.

Yep! Lawrence and Quinn in 2019, Lawrence OR Quinn and Gregory in 2020!

If it works out with Gregory, Jerry will be a “soothseeing genius”. If it doesn’t, so what? People will criticize anyways! Besides, it won’t be a cap buster.

IF it’s not April Fool’s Day!

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Probably an April fools joke, but great move if true. The man has talent. Sign him now to a deal on the cheap.