Rank these Cowboys linebackers

Shane612

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that's where he was drafted and started his career. Not sure how quickly he was moved to DT.

If I remember right, Landry didn't know what do with him, because was 'tweener... but had lot of ability. Then, Randy White put on some weight and became a monster at defensive tackle.
He and Harvey Martin were like salt-and-pepper....the heart and soul of that Doomsday Defense.
Gawd, I miss those days.....

mrmojo

Reaction score
“The motivating factor for [Landry], to me, was in front of the whole team in our first meeting in Thousand Oaks, California. He said ‘I need Thomas Henderson and Randy White to step up, so I’m gonna have them compete for the starting strong side linebacker.' He made that announcement in front of the whole team," Henderson recalled. "For me, it was the right thing to do because he said to me, ‘Check mate. You study, you do what I ask you to do, you play my defense, you got a chance to be a starting Dallas Cowboy.' I took pride in that challenge. That turned everything around for me. Randy was smart, Randy knew the plays, but Randy was not able to cover the fullback. He couldn’t run an out and up with the tight end. I’m not judging Randy White, he was more of a power player than an agile athlete like myself. He would knock fire from your ***.”

With Henderson and White in their proper positions, the Cowboys' defense was an unstoppable force throughout the '77 season. It all culminated in Super Bowl XII, as Doomsday put together one of the finest defensive performances in NFL history. Facing an easily overmatched Broncos team, the Cowboys held Denver to just 156 total yards. That allowed just 35 passing yards while forcing eight turnovers that included four interceptions. As a symbol of Doomsday's dominance, White and Martin became the first pair of teammates to share the Super Bowl MVP award.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Dexter Coakley
Day Nguyen
Sean Lee
Jaylon Smith
LVE
Bob Breunig was better than all combined. Nguyen was too small (switch to 3/4 killed him), Coakley actually was the best in this injury prone group (however, 3/4 switch made him expendable). Lee is always unavailable, Smith has one leg that could go at any time, Vander Esch is in a sophomore slump.

Since Lee Roy Jordan, Bob Breunig was the best MLB the Cowboys have had and there has been no one close on a consistent basis with 20 playoff games, six NFC championships and three Super Bowls. He was a four-time team captain, a three-time Pro Bowler, a second-team All-Pro and a four-time All-NFC selection.

Since Coakley and Nguyen, Vander Esch is the first healthy LB the Cowboys have selected in round 1 or 2. So let's check his resume in 5 years. Vander Esch is out of position as a WLB and should be at MLB with Smith at WLB and Lee at SLB. But what do I know about linebackers when I grew up with Jordan, Howely, DD Lewis, Hollywood Henderson, Mike Hegman, and Bob Breunig playing in a 4-3 Defense coached by the coach that invented the 4-3 defense.

In fact none of the linebackers listed was better than Jimmy Johnson's last 2nd round LB pick....Darrin Smith, 4.4 40yd speed that job was to cover, tackle, make big plays coming from the Bermuda Triangle at the the U (Armstead, Barrow, and Smith all less than 4.5 in the 40yd dash). He eliminated Randall Cunningham abilities as he shadowed and struck him. Jerry Jones decided not to pay LBs so Darrin Smith went on to a solid career with the Seahawks and Saints.

So injure prone and potential (which means you ain't done nothing yet) linebackers need not to be listed to rank in Cowboys current or past history. I did not mention Ken Norton Jr., and Randall Godfrey who Jerry Jones let walk that were better than all those linebackers listed.

DarthVander

Reaction score
Dat Nguyen was the man, I loved watching him play. However my number 1 so far is still Sean Lee. Though, I feel like LVE will surpass him one day.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lockhart was great at tackling 7 yards downfield. There's a reason he had so many tackles. Millions of opportunities.
I agree completely with that. I always felt the same way. I should have used Bruenig, although he had a little of that too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Breunig was better than all combined. Nguyen was too small (switch to 3/4 killed him), Coakley actually was the best in this injury prone group (however, 3/4 switch made him expendable). Lee is always unavailable, Smith has one leg that could go at any time, Vander Esch is in a sophomore slump.

Since Lee Roy Jordan, Bob Breunig was the best MLB the Cowboys have had and there has been no one close on a consistent basis with 20 playoff games, six NFC championships and three Super Bowls. He was a four-time team captain, a three-time Pro Bowler, a second-team All-Pro and a four-time All-NFC selection.

Since Coakley and Nguyen, Vander Esch is the first healthy LB the Cowboys have selected in round 1 or 2. So let's check his resume in 5 years. Vander Esch is out of position as a WLB and should be at MLB with Smith at WLB and Lee at SLB. But what do I know about linebackers when I grew up with Jordan, Howely, DD Lewis, Hollywood Henderson, Mike Hegman, and Bob Breunig playing in a 4-3 Defense coached by the coach that invented the 4-3 defense.

In fact none of the linebackers listed was better than Jimmy Johnson's last 2nd round LB pick....Darrin Smith, 4.4 40yd speed that job was to cover, tackle, make big plays coming from the Bermuda Triangle at the the U (Armstead, Barrow, and Smith all less than 4.5 in the 40yd dash). He eliminated Randall Cunningham abilities as he shadowed and struck him. Jerry Jones decided not to pay LBs so Darrin Smith went on to a solid career with the Seahawks and Saints.

So injure prone and potential (which means you ain't done nothing yet) linebackers need not to be listed to rank in Cowboys current or past history. I did not mention Ken Norton Jr., and Randall Godfrey who Jerry Jones let walk that were better than all those linebackers listed.
Nguyen was great in the 3/4. Injury is what killed his career, not the scheme.

Zordon

Reaction score
Sean Lee, if not for injuries. He is a complete LB with high IQ. I'd want this guy as a coach for Cowboys after he retires.
Go listen to the Scandrick interview he had a lot of great things to say about Sean Lee. He's also #1 on my list.