News: Ranked: All 32 NFL Starting Quarterbacks from Worst to Best

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ok well whether its comparable or not......Cousin's gained some in-game experience and it helped him start by 27. Romo got to sit and learn a system and it helped him start by 27. Both had different ways they were thrown in the fire....both benefited from it.

It's a difficult thing to quantify. Would Aikman have been ready to lead us to a Super Bowl in 1992 if he had sat on the bench his first three years? Maybe, or it's possible the hard knocks he suffered might have forged him through fire.

Would Romo's game have been more polished his first year as a starter if he had some game experience already? Probably. Was Cousins more polished because he did? I think it helped, but it could have hurt if it caused him to form some bad habits.

As we've seen over the years, there's more than one way for a quarterback to successfully develop, and truthfully, the good ones are likely going to develop into good players no matter what's done to them. Throwing a Brandon Weeden to the wolves or grooming him on the bench, for example, probably would have produced the same results.

Similarly, and I bring this back to Dak again because he's our current QB, I don't think having to jump in as a starter as rookie is going to determine what kind of QB he becomes. I think, and again that's why I compared him to Cousins, it can cause fans to expect too much from him at this point in his development, wanting him to be on that fourth-year Romo/Cousins level when reality says we should have expected something more similar to Cousins' second- or third-year level. Dak having a mediocre season doesn't mean he isn't going to put up numbers like Romo or Cousins next year or in a couple of years.

Frankly, this is why Parcells didn't immediately move on from Quincy Carter when he took over as coach. He had to see if Carter had it in him to be more than he was his first two seasons when he was still developing. That he was only incrementally better his third season made it easy to move on from him when his drug issues surfaced.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
The college game has ruined professional quarterbacking. The position is in a sad state.
And this is why coaching is so important in the NFL. Just look at Philly. I often wonder how much better fundamentally Dak would be if he had that Philly coaching staff the first two years of his career. I think he would have paralleled Wentz--good but inconsistent first year, big improvement his second year. And yes, I know Dak doesn't have the arm Wentz has, but I do believe he'd be a better QB in the long run under Philly's staff than under our clapping sideline children. I don't mean better than Wentz but better under their coaching staff.