News: Ranking every NFL quarterback drafted in first round since 2000

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you want to know what I think they'll do, I think they'll pass on a QB even if they like him or trade down (which would be my second choice behind taking a QB) because the Jones' are fully inveswted in this notion that Romo is their QB for the next 3-4 years into his 40s.

But they'll throw a random mid to late round pick at a QB in the hopes they might get lucky and the kid turn into the next Brady or Russell Wilson.

And they'll get the next Quincy Carter instead as history repeats itself.

:banghead:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Hope Goff amd wentz dont turn out like Ponder or EJ manuel. If they do, it would be devastating and would go down as a historic miss just above Jamarcus Russell. Prob #2 in all time greatedt busts.

If they turn out good, i will be happy

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

You're saying you are concerned that if they choose not to draft a QB that you'll be unhappy if it's because they think Romo will be around for 3-5 years.

So you're saying you will be upset, not if they don't pick a QB, but if they don't select one and they give the wrong reasons why they didn't.

Maybe Jerry will tell you he didn't think they'd be very good. Then you won't be angry.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're saying you are concerned that if they choose not to draft a QB that you'll be unhappy if it's because they think Romo will be around for 3-5 years.

So you're saying you will be upset, not if they don't pick a QB, but if they don't select one and they give the wrong reasons why they didn't.

Maybe Jerry will tell you he didn't think they'd be very good. Then you won't be angry.

I am not really upset about anything.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Yet Jerry wanted Johnny Football last year? I don't think Jerry is that stupid to actually think Romo has 4 to 5 years left when he can't even put in a full weeks worth of practice. As for the 3 top QB I think each one is a very talented player and while they may not be day 1 ready Dallas does not have to play them day 1 and now days with rookie caps in place you are not paying big salaries for rookies as we saw with guys like Russle in Oakland or Vince Young whose rookie contract paid them as you would expect to see from a vet player. The cap cost is not that great now days and this move would go a long way in preventing Dallas from having to scramble to find a QB when all of a sudden they are forced to do so. To me that is the biggest mistake

erod

Reaction score
Look at it this way.

Out of the last 200 quarterbacks taken in ALL rounds, about 12 of them are worth spit.

Don't draft one at #4 unless you feel really positive about a guy. And if you feel that positive, trade up to #1 and make sure you get him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Look at it this way.

Out of the last 200 quarterbacks taken in ALL rounds, about 12 of them are worth spit.

Don't draft one at #4 unless you feel really positive about a guy. And if you feel that positive, trade up to #1 and make sure you get him.

You shouldn't take ANY player at 4 unless you feel really positive about the guy.

erod

Reaction score
You shouldn't take ANY player at 4 unless you feel really positive about the guy.

Deep down, I think they only really like Ramsey and maybe Jack at that spot. Otherwise, they trade down.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Deep down, I think they only really like Ramsey and maybe Jack at that spot. Otherwise, they trade down.

I don't know maybe so but then again they have brought QB in like they have not done before. I'm not going to put down Ramsey or Jack I think they are good players who have a chance to develop into quality players I also think the top 3 QB in this draft can develop into quality players they have the physical skills and ability

erod

Reaction score
I don't know maybe so but then again they have brought QB in like they have not done before. I'm not going to put down Ramsey or Jack I think they are good players who have a chance to develop into quality players I also think the top 3 QB in this draft can develop into quality players they have the physical skills and ability

Man, I don't know.

I watched Gruden and Mayock and others get themselves so lathered up over Russell, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, Tannehill, etc.

I would just take Hackenberg or Prescott later on and try to develop them. I don't see an Andrew Luck or Troy Aikman no brainer in the draft.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the very few fa I wish we would have resigned. But he was a whipping boy for a lot of folks around here.

I was on the soapbox for that dude the same way I was for Zimmer and, now, Jason Garrett. He was playing too many snaps when he was hear and wearing down at the end of the season, but he was still capable CB. And proved that by continuing at CIN and now MIN long after he left Dallasy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Man, I don't know.

I watched Gruden and Mayock and others get themselves so lathered up over Russell, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, Tannehill, etc.

I would just take Hackenberg or Prescott later on and try to develop them. I don't see an Andrew Luck or Troy Aikman no brainer in the draft.

To me Hackenberg and Prescott would be a waste of a pick. I don't base anything on Gruden or Mayock. I watched all 3 I think they have the tools to be a very good QB and in Dallas the time to work and develop and to be behind a great OL.

Verdict

Reaction score
Exactly. Apparently some people want to try to ignore history, and the five plus years that this franchise spun its' wheels in futility trying to cheat the system to find a quarterback.

The glorious days of Carter, Hutchinson, and Henson and whatever baseball failures we could find. A brilliant Jerry Jones idea where he thought if he could just find a strong arm, the rest would just fall into place.

Who knows how long that exercise in futility would have lasted if not for Sean Payton bringing Tony Romo to town?

But I can't believe that some want to run the risk of going back to it.

Even if we were to trade up to #1 overall, we are still "risking" going back to those days Stash. Granted the odds are less than not doing anything at the position, but there are no guarantees like some of you seem to think there are.

Sydla

Reaction score
Even if we were to trade up to #1 overall, we are still "risking" going back to those days Stash. Granted the odds are less than not doing anything at the position, but there are no guarantees like some of you seem to think there are.

Then that's a misread on your part. Most of the people who are advocating a QB at 4 realize that the odds are against the Cowboys that the kid turns out to be the next great franchise QB.

But they also know that the odds of finding an elite QB for the future tend to be better in the first round and, further, in the Top 10 picks in the first round than waiting until later. The Cowboys rarely draft in the Top 5 so given the situation the Cowboys find themselves in, now would be the ideal time to take that risk and try to secure your future beyond the last couple of Romo years.

Some people seem to think that the Cowboys can and should fix the QB problem when it's clear Romo is done. That's foolish thinking IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nobody has ever made the assumption or the statement that anything was "guaranteed". Quite the opposite in fact.

But, just like you've said, the odds are less than doing nothing or waiting until later and hoping you hit on one, and anyone interested in the actual research will find that out.

There's a reason why two of these quarterbacks are consistantly ranked higher than the others. Because a consensus of opinions believe that they are the surest things in a game and a system where there are no sure things.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're not gonna find a future QB if you don't even try, Romo was pure luck lightning won't strike twice, so while the bust % is high you have almost 0 shot at a franchise QB if you don't draft one

I would not say "pure luck" but I would say this. I would not count on finding another Romo because the guy who found Romo and got Romo for us is now coaching in New Orleans.

Swanny

Reaction score
Stash I can almost guarantee that if we go qb at #4 and he busts while Ramsey and Elliot and others to to probowls you will be cursing jerry Jones and the cowboys. None of these guys are safe enough imo to waste a #4 on. In a trade back scenario sure

I agree with this 100%!!!

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
To me, the central issue isn't, "what are the odds I'll draft a franchise QB in the first round?" Rather, the central issues is, "what are the odds I'll acquire a franchise QB in the first round versus the odds I'll acquire one in some other way?" The first question is irrelevant because it's asked in a vacuum.