News: Ranking every NFL quarterback drafted in first round since 2000

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What is ironic? I don't know the answer to this question but, I wonder how many current owners have been able to bring in two Franchise Quality QBs and develop them from their Rookie Years on?

I know we rag on Jerry and the Cowboys over this, myself included, but the truth is that Jerry has done exactly this. Jerry Drafted Troy and developed him into a HOF QB. Jerry signed Tony and developed him into a Franchise QB, if not a HOFer.

Maybe Jerry and the team is not as clueless as we all seem to think, in this regard?

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not sure you can give Jerry credit for developing Troy and Tony. For helping acquire them? Certainly. Developing them? Not so sure.

Those guys learned and were coached by two Hall of Fame coaches - Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells.

That seems to be the missing ingredient this time around.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What is ironic? I don't know the answer to this question but, I wonder how many current owners have been able to bring in two Franchise Quality QBs and develop them from their Rookie Years on?

I know we rag on Jerry and the Cowboys over this, myself included, but the truth is that Jerry has done exactly this. Jerry Drafted Troy and developed him into a HOF QB. Jerry signed Tony and developed him into a Franchise QB, if not a HOFer.

Maybe Jerry and the team is not as clueless as we all seem to think, in this regard?

True but then it was 2000 when Troy left the Cowboys and took 6 years before Romo would take over from Bledsoe and in between that time Dallas QB from Hutchinson, Henson, Leaf, Testaverde and Bledsoe were wasted years before a 4th stringer in Romo took over. Dallas did not prepare for life after Troy and it hurt the team. They get a chance to avoid that same mistake. Thing is the writing was on the wall with Aikman his last 2 years saw fans booing him during games with back problems and concussions the Cowboys needed to have a QB ready to step in but didn't.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True but then it was 2000 when Troy left the Cowboys and took 6 years before Romo would take over from Bledsoe and in between that time Dallas QB from Hutchinson, Henson, Leaf, Testaverde and Bledsoe were wasted years before a 4th stringer in Romo took over. Dallas did not prepare for life after Troy and it hurt the team. They get a chance to avoid that same mistake. Thing is the writing was on the wall with Aikman his last 2 years saw fans booing him during games with back problems and concussions the Cowboys needed to have a QB ready to step in but didn't.

I don't disagree with any of this but, the fact remains that Jerry has been able to develop two Franchise QBs in his time as Owner of the Cowboys. All of us, including me, give Jerry a hard time over not being able to develop QBs but actually, I wonder if it's just us who are a bit short sighted here. As I said earlier, I have no idea how many other Owners/GMs have been able to do this in their respective careers but I'd bet that there aren't many of them in todays NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of this but, the fact remains that Jerry has been able to develop two Franchise QBs in his time as Owner of the Cowboys. All of us, including me, give Jerry a hard time over not being able to develop QBs but actually, I wonder if it's just us who are a bit short sighted here. As I said earlier, I have no idea how many other Owners/GMs have been able to do this in their respective careers but I'd bet that there aren't many of them in todays NFL.

I get what you are saying but there were a lot of failures in between. Was Romo a bit of luck? when you look at how many undrafted QB make it in the NFL I would say he was a diamond in the rough and has shined but not a great way to go about finding a franchise QB. Troy on the other hand overall #1 pick and was abused at the get go, the hits he was taking early on Dallas was lucky he survived not until the Walker trade was Dallas able to get real talent around him that allowed his talents to really take off.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I get what you are saying but there were a lot of failures in between. Was Romo a bit of luck? when you look at how many undrafted QB make it in the NFL I would say he was a diamond in the rough and has shined but not a great way to go about finding a franchise QB. Troy on the other hand overall #1 pick and was abused at the get go, the hits he was taking early on Dallas was lucky he survived not until the Walker trade was Dallas able to get real talent around him that allowed his talents to really take off.

Again, I agree with what you are saying but without context, how can we know that this isn't what success at the QB position in the NFL looks like?

I agree, Tony was a lot of luck and if we hadn't had Payton, it's likely that Tony would have been a Bronco but, we did have Payton because Jerry brought him in. Further, he brought Parcells who really is the guy who taught Tony how to be a good NFL QB. It's one thing to identify a talent but it's another thing to develop them.

Again, I agree, Troy was everybodies 1st Round, Can't miss Franchise QB pick but, Jerry pulled the trigger on that deal and Jerry brought Jimmy (now, he also got rid of Jimmy but that's another story). Jerry signed Troy to the career contract, which allowed him to stay in Dallas and Jerry brought Norv in who created the perfect Offense to fit Troy's considerable talents. I mean, it's true that Troy was almost ruined in those early days but without Jerry's moves, Troy probably never becomes the HOF QB he is today. It's one thing to see talent but it's another to be able to actually develop it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Sean Payton but I think he gets a bit more credit than he should. It really had a lot to do with as Parcells said Romo own moxie as he put it. The guy was stuck as a 4th stringer and as great as Payton may be he could not work magic with the guys who were in front of Romo.

I give Jerry credit for signing guys like Troy and Tony, I also credit Jerry for sticking by Troy and Tony. Especially Romo who had a career of doubters yet jerry has stuck with him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I like Sean Payton but I think he gets a bit more credit than he should. It really had a lot to do with as Parcells said Romo own moxie as he put it. The guy was stuck as a 4th stringer and as great as Payton may be he could not work magic with the guys who were in front of Romo.

I give Jerry credit for signing guys like Troy and Tony, I also credit Jerry for sticking by Troy and Tony. Especially Romo who had a career of doubters yet jerry has stuck with him.

Payton deserves as much credit as you can give him, IMO, because without Payton, Tony probably does not sign with Dallas. The Cowboys would never have even known about Tony without Payton. At the very least, we would not have known about him until the rest of the NFL became aware of him. As you know, Payton was tight with Tony because they both came from Eastern Ill. That allowed us to know about Tony and to work on Tony way before any of the other teams. Of course, the other guy in the NFL who knew about Tony was Shannahan. He too is from Eastern Ill. and he too knew about Tony. Tony did not sign with us because we offered the most money. In fact, we did not. He signed with us because of the relationship with Payton and because he know that he would have the best chance to make the team with the Cowboys. Actually, both times that Tony had opportunities to sign elsewhere, Denver offered more money. Tony came to Dallas in 2004.

By 2005, Payton was gone so I don't think Tony's development as a Pro QB is because of Payton, per say. I don't think Payton had enough time with Tony. I think he got good coaching from Payton, while they were both here, but I think he learned how to be a pro QB from Parcells. JMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Payton deserves as much credit as you can give him, IMO, because without Payton, Tony probably does not sign with Dallas. The Cowboys would never have even known about Tony without Payton. At the very least, we would not have known about him until the rest of the NFL became aware of him. As you know, Payton was tight with Tony because they both came from Eastern Ill. That allowed us to know about Tony and to work on Tony way before any of the other teams. Of course, the other guy in the NFL who knew about Tony was Shannahan. He too is from Eastern Ill. and he too knew about Tony. Tony did not sign with us because we offered the most money. In fact, we did not. He signed with us because of the relationship with Payton and because he know that he would have the best chance to make the team with the Cowboys. Actually, both times that Tony had opportunities to sign elsewhere, Denver offered more money. Tony came to Dallas in 2004.

By 2005, Payton was gone so I don't think Tony's development as a Pro QB is because of Payton, per say. I don't think Payton had enough time with Tony. I think he got good coaching from Payton, while they were both here, but I think he learned how to be a pro QB from Parcells. JMO.

I credit him for telling the Cowboys to get him as an UDFA QB but evidently there was not enough desire or faith in him to use a draft pick in getting him. I'm sure he saw some talent in Romo and I am sure they see some talent in every player that is picked up late in the draft or those who were not selected. As for Tony learning I think he has learned from different coaches in Dallas as he continue to grow and improve over his career.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I am not really upset about anything.

Concerned. Whatever word suits your feelings of displeasure.

I'm just saying you're concerned about something that hasn't happened. Furthermore, you likely won't know the reasoning of why they pass on a QB.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yet Jerry wanted Johnny Football last year? I don't think Jerry is that stupid to actually think Romo has 4 to 5 years left when he can't even put in a full weeks worth of practice. As for the 3 top QB I think each one is a very talented player and while they may not be day 1 ready Dallas does not have to play them day 1 and now days with rookie caps in place you are not paying big salaries for rookies as we saw with guys like Russle in Oakland or Vince Young whose rookie contract paid them as you would expect to see from a vet player. The cap cost is not that great now days and this move would go a long way in preventing Dallas from having to scramble to find a QB when all of a sudden they are forced to do so. To me that is the biggest mistake
I predict this draft will be questioned in the future as to why no one identified the later round QB pick as being more talented then Goff or Wentz.

I'd like to get a more sure thing. "A more". Then draft one later say round 3 and see if he can be good. As I said earlier 3 of the top 5 in the league were picked after the first 20 picks. I forgot Brees. So add him to that too.

QB is an easy position to misevaluate and mistreated beaten down fans on here are overreacting to a season when we lost our two best players to injury.

fortdick

Reaction score
Newman played well for us, as did Mike Jenkins for a few years.

Byron Jones showed promise last season.

Mo has been the one big disappointment but that's honestly because of where he was drafted and what was given up to get him. Had he been drafted in the late 1st round, I don't think he'd be viewed in as much of a negative light as he is.

Would you spend the #4 pick on Newman or Jenkins?

I didn't think so!

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Would you spend the #4 pick on Newman or Jenkins?

I didn't think so!

No, but hindsight is 20/20.

Regardless, your original point was about how all DBs selected in the first round since 2000 turned out to be failures.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The 14 year starter and two time probowl CB Terrence Newman? Yeah, he was decent.

Newman was a product of the coaching in Dallas, I believe. The ten yards off and keep it in front of you theory never boded well for him here.

I once thought he wasn't a good player. Seeing him in Cincy changed that. So with this in mind, one has to wonder how much money was left on the table by our defenses from years past due to the style of defense the team elected to play. And with a different philosophy, would the team have fared better?

We'll never know. But Newman was the butt of jokes here, and I participated in those. Funny how he sort of had the last laugh.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I predict this draft will be questioned in the future as to why no one identified the later round QB pick as being more talented then Goff or Wentz.

I'd like to get a more sure thing. "A more". Then draft one later say round 3 and see if he can be good. As I said earlier 3 of the top 5 in the league were picked after the first 20 picks. I forgot Brees. So add him to that too.

QB is an easy position to misevaluate and mistreated beaten down fans on here are overreacting to a season when we lost our two best players to injury.

Sorry not over reacting I like the top 3 QB I have watched them and feel Dallas is in a great position to get one. If Conner cook or Dak were higher rated QB they would be sitting at the top and we would be talking about them but not 1 single publication, not one person covering the combines have said they have better talent. Dallas may not go QB but it is a position of great importance and with Romo getting up in age and unable to complete a full week of practice the notion he will be here for the next 4 years is wishful thinking. I love having Romo what I don't want his watching him retire and Dallas being screwed as they were in the past. You spend the next 6 to 8 years looking to get a QB. We are in a great position this year to take care of it and I think would be a big mistake to pass on it addressing the most important position on a team.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Sorry not over reacting I like the top 3 QB I have watched them and feel Dallas is in a great position to get one. If Conner cook or Dak were higher rated QB they would be sitting at the top and we would be talking about them but not 1 single publication, not one person covering the combines have said they have better talent. Dallas may not go QB but it is a position of great importance and with Romo getting up in age and unable to complete a full week of practice the notion he will be here for the next 4 years is wishful thinking. I love having Romo what I don't want his watching him retire and Dallas being screwed as they were in the past. You spend the next 6 to 8 years looking to get a QB. We are in a great position this year to take care of it and I think would be a big mistake to pass on it addressing the most important position on a team.

Where did those publications rate Brees, Brady, and Romo?

I don't think we will use that pick on a QB to sit for 3 years. I've heard many of these publications say this QB class is weaker than years past and I believe none of those top two will be stars. We'll see.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Where did those publications rate Brees, Brady, and Romo?

you should have thrown in Kurt Warner as well. But if we are going to do that where did they rank Charles Haley? He was a 4th rd pick. You can play this game with every position where you find later rd picks who defy the odds and turn into HOF type players. I would rather not play the defy the odds and go with someone who is much higher ranked. No one is a sure thing, Not Zeke or Jack or Bosa no rookie is a sure thing so no matter who Dallas picks there is a chance that player does not pan out that is the cold reality

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
you should have thrown in Kurt Warner as well. But if we are going to do that where did they rank Charles Haley? He was a 4th rd pick. You can play this game with every position where you find later rd picks who defy the odds and turn into HOF type players. I would rather not play the defy the odds and go with someone who is much higher ranked. No one is a sure thing, Not Zeke or Jack or Bosa no rookie is a sure thing so no matter who Dallas picks there is a chance that player does not pan out that is the cold reality

Sure. But the rate of failing top Qb's seems higher to me. I have no facts to back that up. I know Ramsey is an ELITE Athlete. That gives me more confidence he will succeed than a small school starter or Goff who had some really poor games. Elliot has the least risk of failure imo. There is Risk with all but, I feel what we need for the next few years isn't a backup that won't be ready this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure. But the rate of failing top Qb's seems higher to me. I have no facts to back that up. I know Ramsey is an ELITE Athlete. That gives me more confidence he will succeed than a small school starter or Goff who had some really poor games. Elliot has the least risk of failure imo. There is Risk with all but, I feel what we need for the next few years isn't a backup that won't be ready this year.

QB is a hard position it is also one where the worst teams in the NFL pick 1st and get QB often guys who come out of school early and not ready to have the entire offense dropped on their shoulders. I think with rookie caps in place that a team can go back to how it was done before where you had a QB in waiting where they had the chance to learn and develop. I will not put down other rookie players I think all of them have a chance to become quality players, but talk about bad games Zeke had a very poor game vs Mich st.. Players have bad games that is reality. Heck Troy Aikman had some poor games but you look to the skill sets these players have and attempt to translate those talents to the NFL level. If we are to go by failure rate then we may as well never draft a QB with a 1st rd