News: Ranking every NFL quarterback drafted in first round since 2000

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
QB is a hard position it is also one where the worst teams in the NFL pick 1st and get QB often guys who come out of school early and not ready to have the entire offense dropped on their shoulders. I think with rookie caps in place that a team can go back to how it was done before where you had a QB in waiting where they had the chance to learn and develop. I will not put down other rookie players I think all of them but talk about bad games Zeke had a very poor game vs Mich st. players have bad games. Heck Troy Aikman had some poor games but you look to the skill sets these players have and attempt to translate those talents to the NFL level. If we are to go by failure rate then we may as well never draft a QB with a 1st rd

Well, I'm sure you saw the trade in the other thread. So we won't get either QB likely.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure you saw the trade in the other thread. So we won't get either QB likely.

yes I did, who the rams may get I don't know. I'm sure they will look to QB but that should tell you what Fisher thinks about these QB if they are willing to give up that much to move up to get one. We all have opinions but reality again is these QB are valued by NFL teams and coaches. They understand how hard it is to get a QB and willing to take the risk. I don't see any team willing to jump up and give up so much to get Ramsey or Zeke that should tell you how much QB is valued.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
yes I did, who the rams may get I don't know. I'm sure they will look to QB but that should tell you what Fisher thinks about these QB if they are willing to give up that much to move up to get one. We all have opinions but reality again is these QB are valued by NFL teams and coaches. They understand how hard it is to get a QB and willing to take the risk. I don't see any team willing to jump up and give up so much to get Ramsey or Zeke that should tell you how much QB is valued.

You're Probably right. Could be anyway. I guess we will see and I'm still happy with Ramsey or Elliot. Last year I wanted Jones. So there's no way I'll be happy two years straight.

jnday

Reaction score
I don't think they have franchise potential. It's not just their bust potential. It's the amount of money and time invested in a player who would possibly, or likely, not contribute for a few years combined with the bust factor and the lack of a consensus on how good they really are. This ls part of how I've come to my opinion on these players.

I'm sure many believe because Tony was hurt last year it means it's likely he'll get hurt this year. If that's true would either of these players lead us very far this year? Rookie QBs don't often do that well.

Ill take Ramsey or Elliot. I think they're the smart pick for this team. In 3 years if Wentz is all pro I'll admit I was wrong. If Romo goes down again we'll likely get another high pick and maybe a more consensus top QB will be there. These guys all have too many flaws.

Name those flaws . I keep hearing about them, but nothing specific.

jnday

Reaction score

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
There are only about 12 decent QBs and less Franchise quality in the entire NFL since 2000 that were Drafted in the 1st. That's a lot of bust 1st round picks to get to a Franchise QB.

How many 1st round picks does it take to get to the center of a starting QB. More than three, in Ohio. (Couch, Weeden, Quinn, Manziel) Wentz?

This year is the year of the developmental QB. A 2nd/3rd tier QB will be on that list for 2016.

Last edited:

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Well my opinion is some qbs were dealt a bad hand and couldn't really develop or succeed. You can be a decent qb project who might succeed with time and a decent oline. Get thrown to the wolves with no oline and expect to succeed. Well it can ruin a qb real quick.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Those are not fatal flaws at all. That is why it benefits s rookie QB it sit a year Or two to fix those kinks. As for Wentz, he disproved some of those flaws at the Senior Bowl. I have seen worse flaws on top ten drafted QBs.

You asked for what some of the flaws are. Those are some. There are others. I'm not sure if they're "fatal".
I know I'd rather spend the pick elsewhere.

Guess we'll see in a few years if they were worth your praise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is ironic? I don't know the answer to this question but, I wonder how many current owners have been able to bring in two Franchise Quality QBs and develop them from their Rookie Years on?

I know we rag on Jerry and the Cowboys over this, myself included, but the truth is that Jerry has done exactly this. Jerry Drafted Troy and developed him into a HOF QB. Jerry signed Tony and developed him into a Franchise QB, if not a HOFer.

Maybe Jerry and the team is not as clueless as we all seem to think, in this regard?

All due respect, but I see this as absolute revisionist history in an effort ot proper up Jerry Jones and give him credit where it's not deserved.

The only two quarterbacks this team has acquired since Jerry has been here came under his two strongest coaches - Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Both were guys who told Jerry what they're were doing, not the other way around. Those coaches ran their teams and Jerry signed the checks.

Jerry barely had his foot in the door and knew Jack about being a personnel guy and 'GM' when Jimmy told him to draft Aikman. Do you honestly think it was the other way around on that call, much less on hiring Norv Turner?

And if you remember, before Parcells arrived, Jerry's quarterback carousel was spinning out of control, from Tony Banks, to Ryan Leaf, to Quincy Carter, to Chad Hutchinson, to Drew Henson and any other failed baseball player Jerry thought he could get on the cheap.

Was it coincidence that former Parcells quarterback Testaverde and Bledsoe arrived during his tenure? Do you think that was Jerry suddenly making those calls?

One only need to go back and look at this team's best and worst draft classes to see that the stronger the head coach was (and less influence and control Jones had), the better the draft's were. And the weaker the head coaches were (Switzer, Campo, Phillips), the worse the draft results were.

Jimmy Johnson made the call on Aikman and Sean Payton brought Romo here. Jerry's never helped this team solve its quarterback needs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
All due respect, but I see this as absolute revisionist history in an effort ot proper up Jerry Jones and give him credit where it's not deserved.

The only two quarterbacks this team has acquired since Jerry has been here came under his two strongest coaches - Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Both were guys who told Jerry what they're were doing, not the other way around. Those coaches ran their teams and Jerry signed the checks.

Jerry barely had his foot in the door and knew Jack about being a personnel guy and 'GM' when Jimmy told him to draft Aikman. Do you honestly think it was the other way around on that call, much less on hiring Norv Turner?

And if you remember, before Parcells arrived, Jerry's quarterback carousel was spinning out of control, from Tony Banks, to Ryan Leaf, to Quincy Carter, to Chad Hutchinson, to Drew Henson and any other failed baseball player Jerry thought he could get on the cheap.

Was it coincidence that former Parcells quarterback Testaverde and Bledsoe arrived during his tenure? Do you think that was Jerry suddenly making those calls?

One only need to go back and look at this team's best and worst draft classes to see that the stronger the head coach was (and less influence and control Jones had), the better the draft's were. And the weaker the head coaches were (Switzer, Campo, Phillips), the worse the draft results were.

Jimmy Johnson made the call on Aikman and Sean Payton brought Romo here. Jerry's never helped this team solve its quarterback needs.

If that's the way you see it, that's fine but there is no proof, at all, to support that position. Jimmy brought Troy here? Who brought Jimmy to Dallas and for the record, Troy was not Jimmy's pick. Jimmy wanted Walsh, who he got. Troy was Coach Landry's pick and the previous staffs pick. The Cowboys had already done all the work on Troy when Jerry bought the team. Jones made the buy in late February and the Cowboys were on the clock two months later for Aikman. That homework was already done and it was Coach Landry and Gil Brandt who had done it. Jimmy and Jerry just used it to confirm what everybody already new. Who signed Troy to a contract for life and basically secured the future of the Franchise? Norv Turner was not Jimmy's hire. Norv Turner came to Dallas through Dave Wandstedt. They both coached together at USC in the 80s. The previous OC, Dave Shula, was a Jimmy thing from his Miami days but not Norv.

Jerry also brought Parcells to Dallas but more importantly, he brought Payton to Dallas. You can say that the Coaches did it all and that's fine but somebody created the opportunity for those Coaches, somebody made the call to draft or sign players and somebody spent the money to facilitate it all. That's Jerry and I think it's a shame if you don't give him credit for that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's the way you see it, that's fine but there is no proof, at all, to support that position.

There's sure a lot more to support it than anything you're young to claim.

Jimmy brought Troy here? Who brought Jimmy to Dallas and for the record, Troy was not Jimmy's pick. Jimmy wanted Walsh, who he got. Troy was Coach Landry's pick and the previous staffs pick. The Cowboys had already done all the work on Troy when Jerry bought the team. Jones made the buy in late February and the Cowboys were on the clock two months later for Aikman. That homework was already done and it was Coach Landry and Gil Brandt who had done it. Jimmy and Jerry just used it to confirm what everybody already new.

So, if what you're now saying is true, it completely refutes your earlier attempt at giving Jerry Jines credit for Aikman.

Who signed Troy to a contract for life and basically secured the future of the Franchise?

And it took genius to make that decision? As if there was another way to go? Nah, I think I'll just let the guy who won me a SuPer Bowl and let him walk away? I'll send the Super Bowl MVP out the door?

Norv Turner was not Jimmy's hire. Norv Turner came to Dallas through Dave Wandstedt. They both coached together at USC in the 80s. The previous OC, Dave Shula, was a Jimmy thing from his Miami days but not Norv.

Regardless, I still don't see where Jerry should get credit for doing anything than signing a check? You're trying to give him credit for things he had little if any involvement in.

Jerry also brought Parcells to Dallas but more importantly, he brought Payton to Dallas. You can say that the Coaches did it all and that's fine but somebody created the opportunity for those Coaches, somebody made the call to draft or sign players and somebody spent the money to facilitate it all. That's Jerry and I think it's a shame if you don't give him credit for that.

I think it's a shame when you try to give him credit for things he didn't do.

Parcells brought Payton to Dallas. If he didn't do that, Romo's never here, and Jerry is continuing to fail at finding a quarterback. Those competent coaches rescued Jerry from continued failure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There's sure a lot more to support it than anything you're young to claim.

In your opinion and that's fine. However, I've seen nothing to support what you claim. I take nothing away from Jimmy but it wasn't just Jimmy. At the end of the day, Jimmy Johnson is still coaching the Canes if Jerry doesn't hire him in 89 and that's just the simple truth of it.

So, if what you're now saying is true, it completely refutes your earlier attempt at giving Jerry Jines credit for Aikman.

Not at all. Jerry made the final call on Troy. There is no doubt about that. If Jerry doesn't want to draft a player, then doesn't happen. Jerry writes the checks and he hires the staff. It has always been that way and I don't see that changing any time soon.

And it took genius to make that decision? As if there was another way to go? Nah, I think I'll just let the guy who won me a SuPer Bowl and let him walk away? I'll send the Super Bowl MVP out the door?

No, but it took an Owner and a GM who had a lot of guts to do it. Jerry new the cap was coming and he still signed Troy to, what was then, the largest contract in NFL history. He didn't have to do that but he did. There most certainly was another way to go there but Jerry didn't do that. He secured the future and regardless of if you want to give him credit for that or not, it's the fact of the matter.

Regardless, I still don't see where Jerry should get credit for doing anything than signing a check? You're trying to give him credit for things he had little if any involvement in.

Even if it's just signing the check, it's still on Jerry. If the check is not signed, nothing happens so "Just Signing A Check" is as big a part of the deal as anything else. In fact, it's a bigger part then anything else because if that doesn't happen, Troy never becomes the player he was.

I think it's a shame when you try to give him credit for things he didn't do.

Parcells brought Payton to Dallas. If he didn't do that, Romo's never here, and Jerry is continuing to fail at finding a quarterback. Those competent coaches rescued Jerry from continued failure.

Jerry made the money to buy the team. Jerry put the capital together to make the deal work. Jerry hired the Coach who coached the team. Jerry signed all of the deals for all of the players who won the championships. Jerry has had final say on every single facet of this team since the day he bought it. I think it's a shame that you won't acknowledge the fact that it is, in fact, Jerry who is primarily responsible, good and bad, for this team over the last 25 years.

Yeah, but Jerry gets no credit for hiring Parcells right? Seems like this is personal with you. I don't understand it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In your opinion and that's fine. However, I've seen nothing to support what you claim. I take nothing away from Jimmy but it wasn't just Jimmy. At the end of the day, Jimmy Johnson is still coaching the Canes if Jerry doesn't hire him in 89 and that's just the simple truth of it.

So what? So every decision Jerry made thereafter should be credited to Jerry?

Not at all. Jerry made the final call on Troy. There is no doubt about that. If Jerry doesn't want to draft a player, then doesn't happen. Jerry writes the checks and he hires the staff. It has always been that way and I don't see that changing any time soon.

And it was that way from the get-go and everywhere in between, is that what you believe? That Jones was just as hand's on with Johnson and Parcells as he was with the puppet shows in between? You can believe whatever you want to, sure doesn't make it true.

No, but it took an Owner and a GM who had a lot of guts to do it. Jerry new the cap was coming and he still signed Troy to, what was then, the largest contract in NFL history. He didn't have to do that but he did. There most certainly was another way to go there but Jerry didn't do that. He secured the future and regardless of if you want to give him credit for that or not, it's the fact of the matter.

No, he could have just left the Super Bowl MVP and guy who brought him a trophy walk out the door....

:rolleyes:
What 'vision', what 'guts'...

Even if it's just signing the check, it's still on Jerry. If the check is not signed, nothing happens so "Just Signing A Check" is as big a part of the deal as anything else. In fact, it's a bigger part then anything else because if that doesn't happen, Troy never becomes the player he was.

Any idiot can sign a check. Plenty of NFL owners sign the checks and leave the football to the football men. A wise man knows what he doesn't know.

Jerry made the money to buy the team. Jerry put the capital together to make the deal work. Jerry hired the Coach who coached the team. Jerry signed all of the deals for all of the players who won the championships. Jerry has had final say on every single facet of this team since the day he bought it. I think it's a shame that you won't acknowledge the fact that it is, in fact, Jerry who is primarily responsible, good and bad, for this team over the last 25 years.

Jerry has always had final say, especially if you listen to him. But you're not going to sell me or anyone else that he used that say in the same way with Johnson or Parcells that he did with any of his other coaches. Those coaches called the shots, those coaches built their teams. They had skins on the wall and didn't need to bow down to Jerry Jones over every move they made. Jones was so wet behind the ears when he and Jimmy started, that about the only thing he did do was 'sign the checks' after Jimmy told him who he wanted.

This whole thing went downhill as soon as Jerry decided that he was going to be the end-all, be-all, and the team hasn't recovered since.

Yeah, but Jerry gets no credit for hiring Parcells right? Seems like this is personal with you. I don't understand it.

What genius does it take to pay the cost of hiring a Super Bowl winning coach who had taken every team he'd coached to the playoffs? It's not personal at all and I'll give Jerry credit for things he's done right and blame for things he's done wrong. But I'm not giving him credit for things he didn't do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So what? So every decision Jerry made thereafter should be credited to Jerry?

And it was that way from the get-go and everywhere in between, is that what you believe? That Jones was just as hand's on with Johnson and Parcells as he was with the puppet shows in between? You can believe whatever you want to, sure doesn't make it true.

No, he could have just left the Super Bowl MVP and guy who brought him a trophy walk out the door....

:rolleyes:
What 'vision', what 'guts'...

Any idiot can sign a check. Plenty of NFL owners sign the checks and leave the football to the football men. A wise man knows what he doesn't know.

Jerry has always had final say, especially if you listen to him. But you're not going to sell me or anyone else that he used that say in the same way with Johnson or Parcells that he did with any of his other coaches. Those coaches called the shots, those coaches built their teams. They had skins on the wall and didn't need to bow down to Jerry Jones over every move they made. Jones was so wet behind the ears when he and Jimmy started, that about the only thing he did do was 'sign the checks' after Jimmy told him who he wanted.

This whole thing went downhill as soon as Jerry decided that he was going to be the end-all, be-all, and the team hasn't recovered since.

What genius does it take to pay the cost of hiring a Super Bowl winning coach who had taken every team he'd coached to the playoffs? It's not personal at all and I'll give Jerry credit for things he's done right and blame for things he's done wrong. But I'm not giving him credit for things he didn't do.

I never said it was genius. All of Jerry's moves have not been smart but give him credit for the things that were. I never said it was all Jerry and only Jerry. I said that he had the ultimate say and that he created the environment for everything that has happened with this team since he's owned it.

You have your opinion on it and that's fine. I give Jerry credit for the good and the bad.