Ranking the NFC East QBs

GINeric

Reaction score
I don’t have time to look it up right now but I bet Dallas also has the most money dedicated to the QB position in the division.

That usually happens when your quarterback is a very good starter. Look how those other teams have had quarterbacks come and go.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
That usually happens when your quarterback is a very good starter. Look how those other teams have had quarterbacks come and go.

I was wondering what the total cost of the QB position is for each team. For example, Dak counts as $19M against the cap and Rush counts as $1M for a total of $20M for QB this year. I found a little time to look it up. Below is the cap number for each team at QB just for the 2022 season. It is probably more intricate when one factors in guaranteed money and dead money in future seasons but I tried to make it easy on myself by just looking at this season's cap hit. I would have lost my bet as it turns out.

Dallas--$20M
New Jersey--$11M
Washington-- $32M
Philly--$4M

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don’t have time to look it up right now but I bet Dallas also has the most money dedicated to the QB position in the division.
Going by cap dollars DAL is 12th in the league and well behind the Commoders
Quarterback Spending by Cap Dollars | Spotrac

But that is absolutely why they have a cheap back up that knows the system but scares no one.
I am surprised DAL hasn't drafted a QB but guess they saw some of those picks as total wastes who took a pick, ate a roster slot then left to go elsewhere with zero return.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I was wondering what the total cost of the QB position is for each team. For example, Dak counts as $19M against the cap and Rush counts as $1M for a total of $20M for QB this year. I found a little time to look it up. Below is the cap number for each team at QB just for the 2022 season. It is probably more intricate when one factors in guaranteed money and dead money in future seasons but I tried to make it easy on myself by just looking at this season's cap hit. I would have lost my bet as it turns out.

Dallas--$20M
New Jersey--$11M
Washington-- $32M
Philly--$4M
Philly is actually 6.4M. No team pays less than 5M.
But that is super cheap! Then again sometimes you get exactly what you paid for.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Philly is actually 6.4M. No team pays less than 5M.
But that is super cheap! Then again sometimes you get exactly what you paid for.

I went top two QBs with Hurts at about $1.6 and Minshew at about $2.5 (according to overthecap). Philly is keeping 3 QBs this year so maybe the third is bumping them to $6.4? Either that or overthecap might be off. I know I wouldn't want to be paying Wentz $28M.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I went top two QBs with Hurts at about $1.6 and Minshew at about $2.5 (according to overthecap). Philly is keeping 3 QBs this year so maybe the third is bumping them to $6.4? Either that or overthecap might be off. I know I wouldn't want to be paying Wentz $28M.
They have 5 QBs on the cap right now.
I use Spotrac because they break it down per team by position.

That price for Hurts and Minshew is phenomenal. But I do believe most teams would consider them highly rated back-ups not starters.
They did add another rookie in Carson Strong who has some promise.
Will be interesting to see if they like this method of tilting versus the league and going cheap at QB with young guys.
Or if they extend Hurts at mega-bucks as their franchise guy.

Generally speaking they can prolly get the best deal by signing Hurts now. A lesson Dallas learned to painful effect by waiting.

nobody

Reaction score

Good: Cowboys have the best starting QB in the division.

Bad: Cowboys have the worst backup QB in the division.

What say you?
:popcorn:

PS: Should Cowboys look to upgrade their backup QB, or are you satisfied keeping Cooper Rush as Dak's backup?

Dak's the best of the East by far. And no, I'm not happy with Rush as a long-term backup. I'd be happy with Foles backing up Dak.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Good: Cowboys have the best starting QB in the division.

Bad: Cowboys have the worst backup QB in the division.

What say you?
:popcorn:

PS: Should Cowboys look to upgrade their backup QB, or are you satisfied keeping Cooper Rush as Dak's backup?

I forgot about Tyrod Taylor. I think he is better then Jones. The Giants can win a few games with him if their defense and offensive line improve. Wentz is going to be a disaster. Slowly more information is leaking out of Indianapolis. Wentz is not a good teammate.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Rush over Hurts.

He's started 1 game in his career. ONE. In 4 seasons he has played in 9 games total, has thrown for a whopping 424 yards and 3 TD's. Of those totals 422 yards and all three TD's came in 1 game. So doing the math, in 8 other combined games he threw for 2 yards and zero TD's

How the hell does Rush even make this list?

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
AC is never going to pass up an opportunity to prop up his hero, no matter how trivial the stat might be. This is all you really need to know.
Romo is waiting for his bubble bath, his oiled body rub and for you to feed him grapes.

Get!

acr731

Reaction score
Romo is waiting for his bubble bath, his oiled body rub and for you to feed him grapes.

Get!

Did you make it to your daily foot rub and 'massage' with Dak?

Off the record: I wish you could still see all the old posts from DC.com - you would see that I was never a Romo fan. But I have a sense of humor and will roll with it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Did you make it to your daily foot rub and 'massage' with Dak?

Off the record: I wish you could still see all the old posts from DC.com - you would see that I was never a Romo fan. But I have a sense of humor and will roll with it.
No, you have a big mouth. That's about it.

acr731

Reaction score
No, you have a big mouth. That's about it.

bilelaca-laugh.gif

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting QB situation in the East and I wonder which team helped their QB the most in the off season?

NY's Jones has shown some flashes but can he stay healthy? Why does a QB from Duke lead with his head so much, thought those guys were smart?

PHL's Hurts has a good run game and receiver corps and a good defense. He's got it all on the line this season, can he elevate his game?

WAS's Wentz is a reclamation project but at one time he was in the running for the MVP, can he command a team?

DAL's Prescott lost 3 WR's, LG and RT and picked up a FA WR and a 3rd round pick WR and a rough around the edges LG and RT that hasn't started a full season.

All the East teams have ?'s at the QB position.

raven55

Reaction score
don't want to bust anybody's bubble when you rank QB's and you have ranked Dak as the best or at least in a top tier most of the yards he gains is when he's facing bad defenses but when he's facing a defense that up to snuff whole different story. He's a good qb not a franchise one and the sooner you except that the better. I'm not what every body thinks as a hater but facts are are facts. Jerry always sells his product and sometimes he knows it's wrong but will never admit it. but this year with a running back that's no where near what he was, that will tell all because a Franchise qb can still overcome to extend but unfortunately you'll see it for yourself checked some remarks by Kurt Warner and the proof is in the pudding so stay home watch the wins and the losses on tv and save your hard earned money

Flamma

Reaction score
They have 5 QBs on the cap right now.
I use Spotrac because they break it down per team by position.

That price for Hurts and Minshew is phenomenal. But I do believe most teams would consider them highly rated back-ups not starters.
They did add another rookie in Carson Strong who has some promise.
Will be interesting to see if they like this method of tilting versus the league and going cheap at QB with young guys.
Or if they extend Hurts at mega-bucks as their franchise guy.

Generally speaking they can prolly get the best deal by signing Hurts now. A lesson Dallas learned to painful effect by waiting

They can't sign him now. He has to play at least 3 years before he gets an extension. But I think Hurts will be Hurts again this year. Then Philly will trade up for the QB they want in next year's draft.