Ranking the NFC East QBs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They can't sign him now. He has to play at least 3 years before he gets an extension. But I think Hurts will be Hurts again this year. Then Philly will trade up for the QB they want in next year's draft.
This is terrible form by the NFL if true.
What made Watson and Mahomes deals so team friendly were extending them two years before they expired.
Burrow and Herbert will each get extended 2 years early.
Dallas should have extended Dak after 2 seasons but didn't.
Eagles lose all leverage if they get to year 4 on that rookie deal.
They have no 5th year option and a franchise tag at QB is insanely expensive now.
Playing 3 of 5 years is one thing but 3 of 4 is really a penalty to the drafting team.
No reason a player will take 75 cents on the dollar to sign 1 year before URFA.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is terrible form by the NFL if true.
What made Watson and Mahomes deals so team friendly were extending them two years before they expired.
Burrow and Herbert will each get extended 2 years early.
Dallas should have extended Dak after 2 seasons but didn't.
Eagles lose all leverage if they get to year 4 on that rookie deal.
They have no 5th year option and a franchise tag at QB is insanely expensive now.
Playing 3 of 5 years is one thing but 3 of 4 is really a penalty to the drafting team.
No reason a player will take 75 cents on the dollar to sign 1 year before URFA.

Hold on. You're missing one minor detail. Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Zeke, all waited until after their 3rd year. So will Burrow and Herbert. But they all have 5th year options, Jalen doesn't. So he'll only have one year left if they extend him. The 5th year option is what makes it 2 years ahead of schedule.

RS12

Reaction score
Just curious what difference this makes? There are six other pro football divisions where he clearly would not be the best QB, only the AFC South you could possibly make that argument. I understand wanting to feel good about something but this reeks of desperation. Think playoffs and go back and watch the 49er game. Thats where quality QBs make their rep, it wasnt pretty.

plasticman

Reaction score
You mean the other three division backups are also undefeated as starters?

Flamma

Reaction score
Just curious what difference this makes? There are six other pro football divisions where he clearly would not be the best QB, only the AFC South you could possibly make that argument. I understand wanting to feel good about something but this reeks of desperation. Think playoffs and go back and watch the 49er game. Thats where quality QBs make their rep, it wasnt pretty.

I think everyone knows this. No one is claiming Dak to be Peyton manning or Aaron Rodgers. Just that he's the best in the NFC East. And for now, the AFC south. How many quarterbacks that aren't elite are the best in two divisions? Probably not many.

Motorola

Reaction score

Good: Cowboys have the best starting QB in the division.

Bad: Cowboys have the worst backup QB in the division.

What say you?
:popcorn:

PS: Should Cowboys look to upgrade their backup QB, or are you satisfied keeping Cooper Rush as Dak's backup?

Not satisfied with Rush...but it seems the Cowboys are.
He is beginning his sixth season with Dallas; he was signed on when Kellen Moore was still a backup QB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not satisfied with Rush...but it seems the Cowboys are.
He is beginning his sixth season with Dallas; he was signed on when Kellen Moore was still a backup QB.
Agreed. Let's hope Dak stays healthy.

I wonder if Will Grier or Ben DiNucci will step it up?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak's 254 passing yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and a 69.3 passer rating vs the 49ers playoff loss was better than Garappolo's 172 passing yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT and a 67.4 passer rating. The difference was Garappolo was sacked 0 times, while Dak was sacked 5 times. Plus, the 49ers rushed for 169 yards, while the Cowboys rushed for a paltry 77 yards with Dak accumulating 27 of those yards and the lone Cowboys rushing TD.

As one can see, Dak was the least of the Cowboys problems during their 2021 Wildcard Playoff loss. The much bigger problem was our Oline's inability to either run block or pass protect, our RBs inability to run the ball (Zeke led all RBs with only 31 rushing yards on 12 attempts for a measly 2.6 yards per carry average) and our Defense's inability to stop the 49ers rushing attack.

Let's put the blame where it truly belongs, because it certainly was not Dak.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Both have similar limited experience -- 2 starts for Grier - back in 2019 with Carolina; 1 start for DiNucci with Dallas in 2020; 1 start for Rush last season.
Yuck!

I don't understand why Jerry and the Cowboys are being hard-headed about refusing to look for a better backup QB?

Motorola

Reaction score
I think with a good off-season Dak comes back strong focused and ready to lead the team.
Hopefully we have done enough with the offensive line to keep him upright healthy and give him enough time to read defenses so he doesn't lose his confidence.

All that said if Dak refuses to run with open ground in front of him and decides to try and play Peyton Manning I'm done.

I want to see the old Dak who was willing to do whatever it took to move the chains and lead the team.
Prescott rushing attempts:
2016 - 57 times, 288 yds, 6 TDs
2017 - 57 times, 357 yds, 6 TDs
2018 - 75 times, 305 yds, 6 TDs
2019 - 52 times, 277 yds, 3 TDs

In 2020, Prescott in 5 games already had 18 runs for 93 yds (3 TDs) ...at that pace, he would be at 60 rushes for over 300 yds for a full season.

2021 - 48 times, 146 yds, 1 TD

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Prescott rushing attempts:
2016 - 57 times, 288 yds, 6 TDs
2017 - 57 times, 357 yds, 6 TDs
2018 - 75 times, 305 yds, 6 TDs
2019 - 52 times, 277 yds, 3 TDs

In 2020, Prescott in 5 games already had 18 runs for 93 yds (3 TDs) ...at that pace, he would be at 60 rushes for over 300 yds for a full season.

2021 - 48 times, 146 yds, 1 TD
Dak ran for only 4 times less last season in 2021 compared to 52 times in 2019. The only difference was in yards 146 (2021) and rushing TDs (1) compared to 277 yards and 3 TDs in 2019. It should be understandable considering Dak was barely coming back from a serious and ugly lower leg injury he suffered in 2020. Dak needs a little more time to heal better.

Motorola

Reaction score
Dak ran for only 4 times less last season in 2021 compared to 52 times in 2019. The only difference was in yards 146 (2021) and rushing TDs (1) compared to 277 yards and 3 TDs in 2019. It should be understandable considering Dak was barely coming back from a serious and ugly lower leg injury he suffered in 2020. Dak needs a little more time to heal better.
One season in post-injury - we should expect Prescott will be stronger.
One thing I'd like to see are more bootlegs - both called plays and unexpected take-offs by Dak.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak's 254 passing yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and a 69.3 passer rating vs the 49ers playoff loss was better than Garappolo's 172 passing yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT and a 67.4 passer rating. The difference was Garappolo was sacked 0 times, while Dak was sacked 5 times. Plus, the 49ers rushed for 169 yards, while the Cowboys rushed for a paltry 77 yards with Dak accumulating 27 of those yards and the lone Cowboys rushing TD.

As one can see, Dak was the least of the Cowboys problems during their 2021 Wildcard Playoff loss. The much bigger problem was our Oline's inability to either run block or pass protect, our RBs inability to run the ball (Zeke led all RBs with only 31 rushing yards on 12 attempts for a measly 2.6 yards per carry average) and our Defense's inability to stop the 49ers rushing attack.

Let's put the blame where it truly belongs, because it certainly was not Dak.

I know Dak is limited. As critical as I am of him, you won't see me blaming him for losses. Could he have done better against the 49ers? I don't know, maybe. Aaron Rodgers could have as well.

What I do know is the 49ers have a nasty defense and ran the ball down our throats all game. That alone can win you games in this league. And against teams with more prominent quarterbacks.

I wonder if anyone asked Joe Montana why he didn't step it up in the 49ers 49-3 playoff loss to the giants?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
One season in post-injury - we should expect Prescott will be stronger.
One thing I'd like to see are more bootlegs - both called plays and unexpected take-offs by Dak.
100% agree! :thumbup:

IF...(a big IF)...our Oline can improve with this year's young additions, plus last year's young additions, it should help Dak much better, especially if our running game can improve for our RBs. The key to our Offense is our Oline. I personally like the risk and moves the Cowboys are making. If rookie Tyler Smith catches on well at Left Guard, if Tyron Smith remains healthy and if our Center position improves (no matter who starts: Biadasz, Farniok or one of the rookie UDFAs), our Offense has a good chance it can perform just as good as last year.

I don't like Oline Coach Joe Philbin, but if he can pull a rabbit out of a hat and truly get this Oline to gel and improve both in run and pass blocking, this Offense can truly perform among the best and help this team. Keeping fingers crossed.

Come on, Coach Philbin! Make this Oline work!!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I know Dak is limited. As critical as I am of him, you won't see me blaming him for losses. Could he have done better against the 49ers? I don't know, maybe. Aaron Rodgers could have as well.

What I do know is the 49ers have a nasty defense and ran the ball down our throats all game. That alone can win you games in this league. And against teams with more prominent quarterbacks.

I wonder if anyone asked Joe Montana why he didn't step it up in the 49ers 49-3 playoff loss to the giants?
Thank you for your honest but very reasonable and well thought out post, @Flamma ! This is the kind of football talk I enjoy having with fellow Cowboys fans. Honest, critical at times but optimistic and fair.
:thumbup:

PS: As much I like Dak, if he ever truly screws up and costs us a game, I will blast him hard.

Motorola

Reaction score

What many Cowboys Fans forgot about the 49ers -- that was a team that was two postseasons removed from a Super Bowl appearance ( and an incomplete TD pass from victory) .
San Francisco suffered as many injuries as Dallas during the 2020 season - including QB Jimmy Garopollo , who only played in 6 games.... one more than Prescott.
Even though they were a wildcard team, the 49ers stiil had a number of players from that 2019 playoff run.

Flamma

Reaction score
What many Cowboys Fans forgot about the 49ers -- that was a team that was two postseasons removed from a Super Bowl appearance ( and an incomplete TD pass from victory) .
San Francisco suffered as many injuries as Dallas during the 2020 season - including QB Jimmy Garopollo , who only played in 6 games.... one more than Prescott.
Even though they were a wildcard team, the 49ers stiil had a number of players from that 2019 playoff run.

I remember that. The 49ers season was over very early on with a ton of injuries in 2020. They almost went back this year. I think they were up 10 points in the 4th. Rams were fortunate to win that game. That was a Damn good team.

Motorola

Reaction score
I remember that. The 49ers season was over very early on with a ton of injuries in 2020. They almost went back this year. I think they were up 10 points in the 4th. Rams were fortunate to win that game. That was a Damn good team.
And if GM Lynch and HC Shanahan put forth a contract and player role to Deebo Samuel's liking - I expect them to be contenders for the NFC West title.