Ranking the NFC East QBs

Motorola

Reaction score
Thank you for your honest but very reasonable and well thought out post, @Flamma ! This is the kind of football talk I enjoy having with fellow Cowboys fans. Honest, critical at times but optimistic and fair.
:thumbup:

PS: As much I like Dak, if he ever truly screws up and costs us a game, I will blast him hard.
I remember that. The 49ers season was over very early on with a ton of injuries in 2020. They almost went back this year. I think they were up 10 points in the 4th. Rams were fortunate to win that game. That was a Damn good team.
I think the factor A in the Cowboys repeating as the division winner - PLUS - a deep playoff run -
is OC Kellen Moore. He has to strategize and utilize HIS offense's talents to the utmost:
1) Create a solid rushing attack (cross fingers & knock on wood Oline stays healthy)
------
Put in two-back sets, limit Elliott's carries the first two-thirds of the season, put Pollard in the role of a legitimate dual-threat RB, make sure Prescott and Lamb become a dynamic duo, get the other TEs in the game besides Schultz.

Factor B - the defense surges to become a top 7 unit in the league

nobody

Reaction score
Dak's 254 passing yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and a 69.3 passer rating vs the 49ers playoff loss was better than Garappolo's 172 passing yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT and a 67.4 passer rating. The difference was Garappolo was sacked 0 times, while Dak was sacked 5 times. Plus, the 49ers rushed for 169 yards, while the Cowboys rushed for a paltry 77 yards with Dak accumulating 27 of those yards and the lone Cowboys rushing TD.

As one can see, Dak was the least of the Cowboys problems during their 2021 Wildcard Playoff loss. The much bigger problem was our Oline's inability to either run block or pass protect, our RBs inability to run the ball (Zeke led all RBs with only 31 rushing yards on 12 attempts for a measly 2.6 yards per carry average) and our Defense's inability to stop the 49ers rushing attack.

Let's put the blame where it truly belongs, because it certainly was not Dak.

I must respectfully disagree. Dak was just as much to blame as everyone else. Nobody gets an excuse.

Motorola

Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree. Dak was just as much to blame as everyone else. Nobody gets an excuse.
Those last two drives.
Yes - the confusion between the official and Prescott regarding placing the for the next play ASAP is debatable.
But the previous drive --- inexcusable.

Flamma

Reaction score
And if GM Lynch and HC Shanahan put forth a contract and player role to Deebo Samuel's liking - I expect them to be contenders for the NFC West title.

There's one issue. I don't think Trey Lance is ready. Unless they go with Garoppolo.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's understandable. I realize most would put Hurts over Rush. That's the reason for the explanation as to why I did what I did.

Hurts is a better QB. He has his flaws for sure but Rush wouldn’t be able to even beat him out for the starting job in Philly if he were there.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the factor A in the Cowboys repeating as the division winner - PLUS - a deep playoff run -
is OC Kellen Moore. He has to strategize and utilize HIS offense's talents to the utmost:
1) Create a solid rushing attack (cross fingers & knock on wood Oline stays healthy)
------
Put in two-back sets, limit Elliott's carries the first two-thirds of the season, put Pollard in the role of a legitimate dual-threat RB, make sure Prescott and Lamb become a dynamic duo, get the other TEs in the game besides Schultz.

Factor B - the defense surges to become a top 7 unit in the league

I hope this happens, but what can we truly expect from our rookies right away? If Williams shows some promise on the edge, and Joseph can take over CB2 I'd be thrilled. If De Williams is worth his salt, Gregory's act won't be that hard to follow.

As far as the offense goes, I'm just hoping the OL steps it up first and foremost. That has to come first. Worry about the rest afterwards.

Flamma

Reaction score
Your explanation didn’t make much sense.

Hurts is a better QB.

Again, I don't blame you for thinking that. People can sometimes be smitten by a QB just because he's a starter. What is better about Hurts? Yeah he can run. Rush threw for over 300 yards in that game against Minnesota, and he's not mobile. Right from the pocket. Hurts is garbage as a passer. He makes up for that lack of talent by running. Hurts IMO is a first read/run college QB, so I'm not putting him over anyone that can show some pocket passing ability. I'm not pulling this out of my *** either. Guys on Philly radio stations are saying this. Not the part about Rush, the rest of the stuff I said.

Flamma

Reaction score

No one is giving him an excuse. They're trying to say it was a team loss. The person you quoted was responding to another person saying the 49ers loss was a result of Dak not stepping up. But the 49ers win had zero to do with Garoppolo. If anything he kept us in the game by doing us a solid with that late horrific INT. It was a response to a somewhat contradictory post.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have the best QB in the worst division. Now let’s rank QB’s in our conference and then the league .

nobody

Reaction score
No one is giving him an excuse. They're trying to say it was a team loss. The person you quoted was responding to another person saying the 49ers loss was a result of Dak not stepping up. But the 49ers win had zero to do with Garoppolo. If anything he kept us in the game by doing us a solid with that late horrific INT. It was a response to a somewhat contradictory post.

I agree that it was a team loss.. but the last line of their post was a blanket absolving of Dak not being to blame. However, I know AC doesn't fully feel that way because AC previously stated that Dak should have done better in that game so gets some of the blame.

Given how much salary he demanded, he'd better step up when it matters.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We have the best QB in the worst division. Now let’s rank QB’s in our conference and then the league .
We can look back at last season to get the most accurate assessment and find that it's not the worst division.

That seems to be a circulating talking point among some of the media pundits. Same with the attempted point of beating division teams as if it's a bad thing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We can look back at last season to get the most accurate assessment and find that it's not the worst division.

That seems to be a circulating talking point among some of the media pundits. Same with the attempted point of beating division teams as if it's a bad thing.
So , which divisions in NFC do you think are worse. And which other division do you think we could have won?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Quarterbacks are only going to be as good as the team around them. Dallas & Philly possess plenty of Pro Bowl-level talent on offense. Washington at least have a championship level defense & a strong set of skill position guys on the offensive side of the ball. Which will help Wentzie look good having time in the pocket.

The Giants have none of that. Their defense is mediocre. Daniel Jones & Saquon Barkley cannot do much behind such an atrocious o-line. With very little talent on both sides of the ball. :thumbdown:

Sorry @Shunpike ;)

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So , which divisions in NFC do you think are worse. And which other division do you think we could have won?
You claimed it was the worst division. It's not. North and South both had less wins and less teams that made the playoffs.
NFCW is the outlier. They had 3 teams make it to the playoffs.
NFCE had 2.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You claimed it was the worst division. It's not. North and South both had less wins and less teams that made the playoffs.
NFCW is the outlier. They had 3 teams make it to the playoffs.
NFCE had 2.
Do you believe we could have won any of those divisions ?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree that it was a team loss.. but the last line of their post was a blanket absolving of Dak not being to blame. However, I know AC doesn't fully feel that way because AC previously stated that Dak should have done better in that game so gets some of the blame.

Given how much salary he demanded, he'd better step up when it matters.
:hammer::hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's a pointless hypothetical, but yes. Not the NFCW.
That’s how I rank them. Since we didn’t beat Tampa who won the South, didn’t beat Zona who finished 2nd in West and probably couldn’t beat Pack then East is only division we probably could have won. That makes it worst or easiest division to win.

When you consider we were 6-0 against our division and 6-5 vs the rest it punctuates it. The fact we had two teams make playoffs at 4th and 7th seed doesn’t IMO support a better division than those with just one . As they probably had better teams throughout beating up on each other. But to each their own . I think I’ll side with the media pundits on this one . Thanks

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That’s how I rank them. Since we didn’t beat Tampa who won the South, didn’t beat Zona who finished 2nd in West and probably couldn’t beat Pack then East is only division we probably could have won. That makes it worst or easiest division to win.
That's your opinion, but it doesn't make sense given the parameters. We came as close as you can to beating Tampa in Tampa. There's nothing to suggest we couldn't at the very least split the 2 games. You chalk it up as 2 losses, that's on you.
You have it in your head that the NFCE is the worst, even though it proves otherwise.