Rapaport: Prescott still on track for large contract extension

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they want to be competitive they absolutely have zero choice. If they want to tank a year they have options.

But read the writing on the wall. McCarthy is in his final year. They did not bring him back to tank this season
This is BS.

We just watched Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers leave their teams and their teams are still playing football.

Stop it with this Dak is soooo important BS.

What’s Cooper Rush’s record without Dak?

We can do better than Rush too.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hit me up when it is a reality, Mr.Rapaport.............
P.S. How much is Todd France paying you these days by the way?

Carson

Reaction score
This is BS.

We just watched Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers leave their teams and their teams are still playing football.

Stop it with this Dak is soooo important BS.

What’s Cooper Rush’s record without Dak?

We can do better than Rush too.
Nobody said Dak was important. You can’t trade Dak. You can’t release Dak. The dead money would cripple the cap.

So you’re forced to resign him and lower his cap hit and extend him.

Packers had Jordan Love ready. Jets stunk.

Like I said. You have two options.

Extend Dak and play it out and be competitive.

Or you release him or pray somebody eats his cap hit (they won’t) and have a non competitive roster for a season.

Rush won games because we have a competitive team. If Daks hit is 60 million all of those important cogs are gone

links18

Reaction score
How does it make sense to not extend MM but to extend Dak? Why is Dak more deserving than MM of a contract extension?

We are absolutely screwed. This is going to set this team back for a while
Because if they don't extend Dak, he will sink this year's cap. McCarthy doesn't count against cap.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Nobody said Dak was important. You can’t trade Dak. You can’t release Dak. The dead money would cripple the cap.

Or you release him or pray somebody eats his cap hit (they won’t) and have a non competitive roster for a season.

Rush won games because we have a competitive team. If Daks hit is 60 million all of those important cogs are gone
I can't wait until a 35-36 year old Dak with 2 playoff wins is owed 80+ mil in the final year of his contract and we have no choice to extend him once again.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Then the Cowboys have no hope and next season is over before it begins.

It will be the most toxic year of football all because the Jones’s neglect.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I didn’t watch the video, but do the Cowboys even have a choice since he is in his last year? It seems like most contracts are structured so the biggest hit is in the last year. So unless they just want to release or trade him, aren’t they forced to extend him no matter what?
Pretty much.

Dak Prescott's cap hits have been kept small since signing the extension in 2021 instead of getting Franchise Tagged again.

2021: $17.2M (8.2% of cap)
2022: $19.73M (8.9% of cap)
2023: $26.83M (11.7% of cap)

The base salaries in '22 and '23 were already guaranteed, so the team spread the hits out over future seasons with contract re-structures.

2024: $59.45M (23.9% of cap)

Dallas never intended to leave this cap hit as is. Prescott has a $5M roster bonus due 3/18/2024 and the Joneses will meet with Todd France about an extension before that date arrives.

They don't absolutely have to, but it's always been the plan.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
Then the Cowboys have no hope and next season is over before it begins.

It will be the most toxic year of football all because the Jones’s neglect.
Par for the coarse is it not

Carson

Reaction score
I can't wait until a 35-36 year old Dak with 2 playoff wins is owed 80+ mil in the final year of his contract and we have no choice to extend him once again.
You guys have some of these takes wrong.

We aren’t arguing sleeping in our Dak Prescott pajamas. We want change. We want him gone.

It’s just not happening. The sooner you face the reality or find a new team the better you are.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You guys have some of these takes wrong.

We aren’t arguing sleeping in our Dak Prescott pajama. We want change. We want him gone.

It’s just not happening. The sooner you face the reality of find a new team the better you are.
And in 5 years when this extension is over and Dak is 36 years old we will have to pay him 80+ mil or extend him until he decides to retire

That's how Dak's agent does contracts. That's how Jerry does contracts.

Kick the money down the road and make it impossible to move on from the guy.

Carson

Reaction score
And in 5 years when this extension is over and Dak is 36 years old we will have to pay him 80+ mil or extend him until he decides to retire

That's how Dak's agent does contracts. That's how Jerry does contracts.

Kick the money down the road and make it impossible to move on from the guy.
Trust me. if they had a realistic out, I am 100% on board