Rapaport: Prescott still on track for large contract extension

JBS

Reaction score
Big Mike doesn't currently have a $60 million cap hit in 2024. Unfortunately, they set themselves up for this the first time they paid Dak.
They can restructure Dak and not extend him

John813

Reaction score
Not really. Adding years is the only way to lessen his cap hit in 2024. They were always going to do this. One game wasn't going to change their minds.

Remember who runs this team.
They can restructure and push the pro-rated signing bonus cap hits over void years. Can even tack on more now to lower his cap hit.

But that would just lead to a large dead cap in 25 if not re-signed before his contract voids.

JBS

Reaction score
Not really. Adding years is the only way to lessen his cap hit in 2024. They were always going to do this. One game wasn't going to change their minds.

Remember who runs this team.
This isn’t true. He has two dummy years in the contract as it’s currently structured right now. They don’t need Dak to agree to anything to restructure this deal. It will push the can down the road again but it won’t extend him

links18

Reaction score
A restructure and an extension are not the same
I know. There is no reason to extend Dak, unless it is for cap reasons. So it must be for cap reasons, unless the Jones Boyz are absolutely in love with Dak.

JBS

Reaction score
I know. There is no reason to extend Dak, unless it is for cap reasons. So it must be for cap reasons, unless the Jones Boyz are absolutely in love with Dak.
Read @darthseinfeld thread on the mentality of the FO. That’s why Dak is getting extended. He accomplished what the FO wants, which is being relevant. They don’t care about winning. They care about not losing

CWR

Reaction score
How does it make sense to not extend MM but to extend Dak? Why is Dak more deserving than MM of a contract extension?

We are absolutely screwed. This is going to set this team back for a while
You're acting suprised. The ONLY chance we had of moving on at QB was with a new coach who didn't want him. That was highly unlikely anyway because no coach wants to take over a QB-less team. There's far too much pressure to win immediately.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep, extend him. He will never be able to carry a team or go toe to toe with a good QB. Heck, he couldn't go toe to toe with Jordan Love. I know it was Jerry's and the whole team's fault, did I leave anyone out?

Bluefin

Reaction score
This isn’t true. He has two dummy years in the contract as it’s currently structured right now. They don’t need Dak to agree to anything to restructure this deal. It will push the can down the road again but it won’t extend him
True.

However, doing this would mean allowing Dak Prescott to become an unrestricted free agent in 2025 as his contract will void 3/15/2025.

The team won't do that.

JBS

Reaction score
You're acting suprised. The ONLY chance we had of moving on at QB was with a new coach who didn't want him. That was highly unlikely anyway because no coach wants to take over a QB-less team. There's far too much pressure to win immediately.
No. You can restructure Dak. Have everybody run it back on a 1 year deal and figure it all out next year. But the team is too stupid to do it

JBS

Reaction score
True.

However, doing this would mean allowing Dak Prescott to become an unrestricted free agent in 2025 as his contract will void 3/15/2025.

The team won't do that.
Yeah I don’t think anyone in here cares about that happening hahah