Rapoport: Cowboys considering bringing in Jon Kitna to work with QBs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What in the world difference does it make if he had big success as a player? That has never been a requirement for being a good coach.

This conversation was about someone labeling Kitna as a "good quarterback", not a "good coach".

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They operate with an insular closed system-- trusting only people who they know and have worked with before in some capacity. Most organizations actually look at things like "resumes", "qualifications", "results", and "proven track records" and conduct "interviews" and work candidates through things called "a hiring process".

Not Dallas though... We love to glad-hand and give jobs to guys we're friends with. If you always put results behind relationships-- you run the risk of always failing with people you like to hang out with.

:hammer:

Our hiring process is similar to the mob. If the guy isn't a "friend of ours" , he can't be trusted.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Folks, the Cowboys have had retired Cowboys work with current players in the past, and I’m sure other teams have as well. This isn’t a new thing, and it’s not remotely something to be upset about. Kitna played 18 years in the NFL, so how does it hurt for him to pass along some of what he learned?
Especially since he has very good mechanics, which is something even the most Dakophantic fans won't deny Dak lacks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This conversation was about someone labeling Kitna as a "good quarterback", not a "good coach".

I knew that was what you were arguing about, but given the thread topic I assumed the question of his ability as a QB was in the context of discussing his qualifications to coach. If I’m wrong, my apology.

As for Kitna as a QB, Hell, I’ll throw in my 2 cents. It doesn’t really seem very complicated. He was a QB who was always good enough to compete for the starting job, and sometimes have it when there wasn’t a top alternative, but never good enough to hold the starting job or to be thought of as a long term solution. Pretty much what that translates to is low end starter, and high end back up. Whether anyone considers that “good” is subject to how they define “good”.