FEATURED Rapoport: Cowboys have agreed to terms with McCarthy to be next head coach

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He interviewed twice with the Panthers too.

Jerry made many concessions to get Parcells here. So I have no idea why you are bringing that up.

And he may have made concessions with McCarthy, too, considering he had other options.

MMObserver

Reaction score
Guys, McCarthy actually knows how to manage a game, bleed the clock, call timeouts, ect……...you know, the basic stuff Clappy was clueless about.

That alone should win us 1-2 more games right there.

Nope.

Mike McCarthy is holding back the Packers, says disgruntled but correct former employee

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'm not into whether it's an indictment of the coach. I responded to the poster saying what McCarthy's record was in 17 and 18 and I pointed out that Rodgers only start 7 games in 2017. But since you want to go there. When you lose a generational talent like that that's hard to overcome. How many coaches can win without their starting QB? Not many.
Pederson was already in the playoffs when Wentz went down and Foles had already been familiar with the Eagles.
Bridgewater is the best backup in the league.
Parcell can't win 10 games with nobody. Where you are getting this bs from.
Belichick missed the playoffs without Brady.

Losing your star QB 5 games into the season and relying on Brett Hundley is far cry from the examples you gave.

who was your qb in 2003 when the Cowboys went 10-6? The same guy who went 5-11 the previous seasons?

Gameover

Reaction score
Why so quick though...you have Greg Roman and some other ''ready now'' coaches that could work out better.
JJ wanted a coach w experience as head coach. Pretty obvious

no assistance
No college coach

silly.. but it’s Jerry

DRella

Reaction score
DC is going to be key.

There are rumors that Nolan may be of interest to McCarthy. Is he any better then what Marinelli and Richards did?

Nav22

Reaction score
His rookie year he didn't even hit 500 yards rushing.

Last year he had 700.

You want to argue mccarthy should have gave him the ball more thats fine, but he was anything but elite his first two years.

This year he has 16 tds and only 1100 yards rushing. 4 tds vs us.

I'm saying even further than that, prior to aaron jones. Even if your right on jones, Who has mccarthy had at the RB position to take the pressure of rodgers before that.Eddie Lacey? lol.
2017: 5.5 yards per rush

2018: 5.5 yards per rush.... again

The only reason it took Aaron Jones until 2019 to “break out” is because his idiot head coach didn’t let him.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Several reasons. Could be simply because of the prestige of the job, as it was with Parcells.

The other teams interested were the Browns and Giants. The Browns are toxic. Choosing between a rebuild effort with New York and a bit of a quicker fix in Dallas would probably be an easy choice.

He was supposed to interview with the Arizona, Cleveland, and The Jets last year. He declined to interview with the Cards, and declined the job offer in Cleveland. The Jets went with Adam Gase.

ESisback

Reaction score
I'm not into whether it's an indictment of the coach. I responded to the poster saying what McCarthy's record was in 17 and 18 and I pointed out that Rodgers only start 7 games in 2017. But since you want to go there. When you lose a generational talent like that that's hard to overcome. How many coaches can win without their starting QB? Not many.
Pederson was already in the playoffs when Wentz went down and Foles had already been familiar with the Eagles.
Bridgewater is the best backup in the league.
Parcell can't win 10 games with nobody. Where you are getting this bs from.
Belichick missed the playoffs without Brady.

Losing your star QB 5 games into the season and relying on Brett Hundley is far cry from the examples you gave.

He’s gonna criticize whatever we do. It’s almost like he’s a “realist” Cowboys fan!

mldardy

Reaction score
who was your qb in 2003 when the Cowboys went 10-6? The same guy who went 5-11 the previous seasons?
He had the number 1 defense in the NFL as well. No division title and a quick first round exit with that qb. Parcells went 6-10 the next season

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wait, Jerry didn't even talk to Saleh, Roman, or Bieniemy? I'm shocked. Actually, I said last week he wouldn't even consider them.

Jerry got his retread. At least this one has actually won something.
yeah that is bad lol. Should have talked to them, then made decision.

Thing is jerry likes big names and proven guys, because he has no vision himself, JG was jerry using his vision.

I will say this , if MM designs a new offense and playbook for dak and the players we have I will like it, but if he is going to force
them into some scheme that he thinks is good, then I wont like it, and it probably wont be anything special.

But he did get in the playoffs a lot, but he also had rodgers, now he has dak lol.

another but, it will be more interesting and hopeful than another year or 5 years of Garrett football.
I will give MM 1 year before I bash him too much, lets see what he does.

Me I would have hired Saleh if that is the SF DC. With a good energetic young coach there is no learning curve or wait time if the team has talent.
Just look at Rams, Phil,SF, and GB. Out of those 1 has one a SB, 1 has been to SB, SF and GB one of those will be going to SB this year.

But jerry knows more than us and we are now stuck with MM for how long? So I will accept it , and at least I can root for the team again.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A few things here.

• This was a quick hire. Aside from Garrett, I have never seen Jerry hire this fast. The Joneses may have thought McCarthy won't be on the open market long. He interviewed with the Giants and he was supposed to interview with NC and Cleveland. Normally Jerry takes his time with coaches. So there's that.
  • This feels more like a Stephen hire than a Jerry hire. I heard McCarthy stayed at Jerry's compound on Saturday, but this is not the normal Jerry hires we are used to.
  • We don't know what went on in the interview or how much McCarthy has changed over the last year. He may have changed a lot as a result of his "McCarthy Project." He may have totally updated and grown from his one year experience. I guess we will soon find out.
  • Garrett was not big on analytics. It's been known Garrett's system was pretty archaic, which was a dumb move on his part. Analytics are a huge part of the current successful teams: KC, San Fran, Baltimore, New England all have extensive analytics departments. Dallas appears to want to move in that direction. Maybe McCarthy's plan for analytics impressed the Joneses.
  • I have a feeling you will see Marvin Lewis rolled out as DC about the same time as McCarthy is rolled out as the new HC.
  • I also have a feeling Moore will get demoted back to QB coach if he wants to stay. Columbo may be gone. Kitna may stay but in some other capacity. The WCO is pretty complicated from scheme to blocking and needs a staff that is familiar with it.

I will take a wait and see approach. I'm not against the hire, and I think it's a huge upgrade from Garrett. But there are a lot of unknowns and since we weren't in the interviews it's hard to say how much McCarthy has changed and grown.

nice post

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He had the number 1 defense in the NFL as well. No division title and a quick first round exit with that qb. Parcells went 6-10 the next season

yes, the number 1 d that also wasn’t there the year before. The d he built, because he’s a complete HC. How did Garrett’s D’s always look when the pressure was on? Because McCarthy’s stunk it up aside from 1 SB run.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I guess Aaron Rogers became as good as he is all on his own. Without any help from anybody along the way. Just a natural top 5 QB of all time talent

The reasoning that Rodgers won the Super Bowl and McCarthy was just along for the ride is very agenda-oriented. How many Super Bowls did Jimmy Johnson win with Aikman? How many has Sean Payton won without Brees? Belichick without Brady?

I'm not saying that McCarthy is the same as those coaches, but generally you don't win Super Bowls without a great QB (with a few exceptions). And I agree that McCarthy should also get some credit for developing Rodgers into the QB he became.