Twitter: Rapoport: Cowboys will franchise Dak again if they can't get a long-term deal done first

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak had a 2nd surgery?

I'll answer my own question...

According to the link in the OP:

"Prescott suffered a compound fracture and dislocation of his right ankle Oct. 11 in a win over the New York Giants, leaving the field on a cart and in tears. He underwent surgery that night, during which doctors' primary concern was preventing infection, and they did so successfully.

Sources say Prescott underwent a second -- and previously unreported -- procedure on the ankle about two months later to strengthen his deltoid ligament, clean out the ankle and make it more structurally sound. That procedure wasn't directly related to the October surgery; rather, doctors then spotted issues related to past injuries to the same ankle, and so once the risk of infection was eliminated, they went back in to clean up the rest.

After the second surgery in early December, Prescott had to take about a week off from rehab to let the wound heal, but it improved the stability and integrity of the ankle and should accelerate his overall recovery, per sources. He's now walking without issue, doing weight-bearing exercises and is expected to be ready for action long before the 2021 season begins.

That's one reason there are no medical concerns, sources say, for the Cowboys with regard to offering Prescott a nine-figure contract that would put him among the NFL's highest-paid players. If anything, Prescott is considered a little ahead of schedule in what was initially pegged as a four- to six-month recovery."

Sounds very good!

Last edited:

Gaede

Reaction score
I can see that--Dak pushing the long term contract more now. I could also see the front office being more interested in the franchise tag. He did after all suffer a gruesome leg injury. So it's not exactly a smart thing to give someone who was injured a big contract until they prove they're not injured anymore.

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak had a 2nd surgery?

I'll answer my own question...

According to the link in the OP:

"Prescott suffered a compound fracture and dislocation of his right ankle Oct. 11 in a win over the New York Giants, leaving the field on a cart and in tears. He underwent surgery that night, during which doctors' primary concern was preventing infection, and they did so successfully.

Sources say Prescott underwent a second -- and previously unreported -- procedure on the ankle about two months later to strengthen his deltoid ligament, clean out the ankle and make it more structurally sound. That procedure wasn't directly related to the October surgery; rather, doctors then spotted issues related to past injuries to the same ankle, and so once the risk of infection was eliminated, they went back in to clean up the rest.

After the second surgery in early December, Prescott had to take about a week off from rehab to let the wound heal, but it improved the stability and integrity of the ankle and should accelerate his overall recovery, per sources. He's now walking without issue, doing weight-bearing exercises and is expected to be ready for action long before the 2021 season begins.

That's one reason there are no medical concerns, sources say, for the Cowboys with regard to offering Prescott a nine-figure contract that would put him among the NFL's highest-paid players. If anything, Prescott is considered a little ahead of schedule in what was initially pegged as a four- to six-month recovery."

Sounds very good!
Modern medicine is amazing.....Dak Haters will now say Dak cheated and had an “Eye Test” chip implanted in his ankle:facepalm:

aria

Reaction score
Lol, this would be great! Dak is franchised, has another good year, the QB market goes up even more as will Dak’s demands. This will force Jerry’s hand once again to take a chance in the draft, find another FA or pay Dak. Even if Dak had an average year, the former two options carry a lot more risk and have a higher chance of setting this franchise back even further IMO.

Jerry is probably a horrible poker player, what a fool. Not trying to be morbid but father time has had the advantage over Jerry for a few years now, if he takes a chance with another QB and that QB takes a few years to develop or get him in the right offense then there’s a good chance Jerry won’t be around to see the results.

With everything Dak has shown, if I was Jerry, I’d stop playing around, sign him and ride him into my grave while building the defense in the process.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Evidently, the 2nd thing that Dak underwent was a "procedure" and not actually considered to be surgery. In any case, he's been tagged as having had a successful surgery and a procedure that wasn't reported. We were just told he was "ahead of schedule."

As long as Dak recuperates on time, there seemingly shouldn't be a problem. Why the 2nd procedure wasn't reported is yet to be revealed. Obviously, the Cowboys aren't always forthcoming with all the details of his recovery. Perhaps they chose to avoid controversy.

It seems to me that he'll be involved with ongoing negotiations whenever the team feels he's fully recovered and ready to be welcomed back into an active role with the team. With all the money that is likely to be at stake, nobody could or should, blame the team for being cautious.

Last edited:

JBS

Reaction score
And people in here really thought Dallas wasn't planning on using the tag. What is wrong w you guys?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Seems to me he’s in line to be franchised and cowboys part ways with him to get ah Jones behind the center at att stadium.

What’s terrible is. I can see it happening.

Scotman

Reaction score
I have grown to love Dak and want him to be our long-term QB.

BUT, the argument shouldn't be "long-term" security. If you can't have long security with the 30 million dollars made last year, you probably can't find it in even bigger numbers. Argue "going rate" or "market value" or something. But I'm not buying any financial security angle.

I've said all along, I think this is a BIG mistake on Dak's part. A team friendly deal still nets him more money that he would ever need to spend. Further, any "discount" could easily be offset by endorsement deals that extend far beyond his playing years. A team-friendly deal probably makes him and the team more successful in the long-term, too. The more he's endeared to his fan base, the more he makes long-term. I truly think he makes MORE long-term on a team-friendly deal that he does by trying to be paid the highest in the league. This is all truly short-sighted in my opinion.

JBS

Reaction score
I have grown to love Dak and want him to be our long-term QB.

BUT, the argument shouldn't be "long-term" security. If you can't have long security with the 30 million dollars made last year, you probably can't find it in even bigger numbers. Argue "going rate" or "market value" or something. But I'm not buying any financial security angle.

I've said all along, I think this is a BIG mistake on Dak's part. A team friendly deal still nets him more money that he would ever need to spend. Further, any "discount" could easily be offset by endorsement deals that extend far beyond his playing years. A team-friendly deal probably makes him and the team more successful in the long-term, too. The more he's endeared to his fan base, the more he makes long-term. I truly think he makes MORE long-term on a team-friendly deal that he does by trying to be paid the highest in the league. This is all truly short-sighted in my opinion.

Yeah well, your opinion is just flat out wrong. Accept it and move on.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

R.I.P. Dallas Cowboys......