Twitter: Rapoport: Cowboys will franchise Dak again if they can't get a long-term deal done first

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Same old same old.
Look, IF they franchise him again - it's a terrible look for this franchise that all they talk about is ;Dak's our guy", "We want Dak here for life" etc. If the intent would be to somehow TAG and trade him its just bad optics, bad management, and plain old bad use of the gift-horse they got with a 4th round draft pick becoming your starting QB.
1) If they tag him and Trade him, now we would have to use the 10th pick on a QB - Dumb.
2) Tag him and he plays this year on the second tag - and would in all likelihood leave next off-season. Then we looking to draft a QB next year, with a worse (Hopefully) draft spot - Dumber.
3) Dak's agent is known as a tough negotiator, but the FO has botched this royally. Get a 4 year deal done and move on to the Defense and Draft.

Talk about wasted opportunities ! - Dumbest.
Jerry wont get another chance if they move off of Dak - to a draft pick or a retread. You made the bed, now bite the bullet and sleep in it !

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
As Aikman said, if he goes on another tag he won’t be back. This is starting to look a lot like Cousins deal in Wash.

Huh. Weird. I vaguely remember someone here saying this a month ago. LOL

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I can’t see Dak not signing the tag.

it’s a lot of money.

we’ll know by mid March....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

Why isn't this MERGED??????
Guess only Pro Dak Twitter messages stand tall around here!

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The FO and Dak should compromise for an agreement to be reached.

$34.5 mil on a 4-year deal would serve such a purpose. ;)

Dak's outside revenue makes up any difference.

I agree. If Dak is willing to compromise with the Cowboys, I'm all in. If he's not, then the Cowboys need to play hardball too.

kevm3

Reaction score
He's already 'compromised' by playing out his rookie contract and not holding out and complaining. Why should he accept anything significantly less than market rate? If the Cowboys don't work a deal out and tag him again, they better use that number 10 pick for a qb and sit him behind Dak.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

Rain is wet, sugar is sweet. *etc*.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He's already 'compromised' by playing out his rookie contract and not holding out and complaining. Why should he accept anything significantly less than market rate? If the Cowboys don't work a deal out and tag him again, they better use that number 10 pick for a qb and sit him behind Dak.

Dak was paid everything he was supposed to be paid on his rookie contract. He was not slighted or cheated.
He signed a contract to play, not to sit out. He did what he was supposed to do and was paid what he was supposed to be paid. So how does that qualify as "Compromised"? He didn't compromise anything and the Cowboys didn't short him anything.

And on what do you base your description of "Market Rate"? This so called NFL Market rate is not a set rule, it's just what a particular team decided they were willing to pay for a given player's services, based on their specific needs. Players act like Market rate is an NFL- wide entitlement, but it's not. It's a free market out there.
But if Dak thinks he can get that much more elsewhere, hey go get it.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players with true talent hold out.
The rest take what is given to them.....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Anything approaching $40 mil isn't a compromise. It's simply an over-inflated version of what a so-called elite QB is supposed to request. The amount that both parties agree to is whatever is acceptable to both sides involved in the bargaining. I'm sure they'll try to make that happen.

flyinghorse

Reaction score
YOU CAN BET JJ IS GONNA TAG DAK 2021!!!
JJ WANTS TO SEE HOW THAT ANKLE HOLDS UP THROUGH A 16 GAME SEASON......LOL!!!
JJ Isn’t Gonna Sign Dak To A 100+ Million Dollar Muti Yr Contract Until He Has More Confidence That Foots Not Gonna Flop Sideways Again The 1st Yr.
JJ Didn’t Become A Billionaire By Not Covering His Azz
If He Does Do A Contract It’ll Have A 1000 Pages Of Clauses Covering Ol’ JJ TO The Hilt If Daks Blows That Ankle Out Again
Watch For JJ To Sign Red As Back Up Again Or Someone Equal Or Better As Insurance On That Ankle

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
I can see that--Dak pushing the long term contract more now. I could also see the front office being more interested in the franchise tag. He did after all suffer a gruesome leg injury. So it's not exactly a smart thing to give someone who was injured a big contract until they prove they're not injured anymore.
Timing is everything with relationships. haha

eastsideboy

Reaction score
This sounds easy enough someone just call Roger goodell and tell him to give us an extra 37 million in cap space.