Twitter: Rapoport: Cowboys will franchise Dak again if they can't get a long-term deal done first

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As opposed to what, letting him walk? Rapoport is not breaking any real news here. I think every one figured if they could not sign Dak to a long term deal they would franchise him. But then what? Do they trade him or keep him on the franchise tag, because they cannot afford to franchise him again next year. Dak knows it, his agent knows it and I the Joneses know it. If they franchise Dak again then he has all the leverage in 2022. If they franchise Dak again this year, they almost certainly have to trade him if he does not agree to a deal.

1000%.......

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The longer the front office waits, the higher the market goes up. Just sign him. Tagging doesn't benefit the team, all the first tag did was set up future tags amounts. If Prescott keep playing on the tag and is patient, he'll be getting paid enormously.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
if they tag him i think this will be his last year as a cowboy i dont think he will be back

I'm leaning this way........coz there's a real possibility things can go south, as in bad. Let's dial back a bit ........

Remember before the start of last season's nego what Dak said.......he was doing an interview and told the reporter to quote him ....he would not participate in any offseason programs w/o a deal. COVID 19 hit around the end of March kinda throwing the statement off wack and the threat kinda got lost. My point, it would not surprise me if Dak lets Stephen and Jerry know upfront he will not report for any OTAs or training camp w/o a deal. He'll only report before the season starts......

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's going to make a lot of sheep very sad and hug their Dak binky even harder when they realize that the Cowboys don't really view him as a franchise QB.
False. They tagged him accordingly.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
It's going to make a lot of sheep very sad and hug their Dak binky even harder when they realize that the Cowboys don't really view him as a franchise QB.
And as a Cowboys fan that would suck. This is the same team that gave Zeke and Jaylon a contract and let Byron walk. They’ve shown they don’t know who to pay

blueblood70

Reaction score
Exactly
The tag is security and it’s common to use it
But it’s in the best interest of the team to get it done ASAP
Like today lol
Jerry will announce it at halftime of the SB, pretty typical try and take away SB attention and out it on him while the NFL viewers are already tuned in..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As Aikman said, if he goes on another tag he won’t be back. This is starting to look a lot like Cousins deal in Wash.

Been saying this since last year........a 2nd tag WILL NOT be a good sign. It's why I've said it he's on the tag around draft time, we have to take a long look at trading him coz most, if not all QB need teams will settle their QB issues during free agency or draft.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Of course they will. Why would they let him walk—even if there is no way he will play for Dallas? The rate at which QBs are going in trades right now is so high.

In this case they couldn't trade him without Dak's approval. He can refuse to sign the tag unless he gets a deal to his liking from wherever he'd be going.

kskboys

Reaction score
In this case they couldn't trade him without Dak's approval. He can refuse to sign the tag unless he gets a deal to his liking from wherever he'd be going.
Can they trade his rights away?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Too risky for anything long term. This is the right move. All these QB deals are mistakes unless it’s Mohames.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Who would Tak refuse to sign the tag? He would be the 2nd highest paid QB under his next tag.

conner01

Reaction score
Jerry will announce it at halftime of the SB, pretty typical try and take away SB attention and out it on him while the NFL viewers are already tuned in..
That would make me very happy
If he wants to make a PR stunt that’s on him
I just want it done lol

Trajan

Reaction score
Using the Tag seems the worst possible option here, not surprised Jerry may go that route.

Look, Jerruh needs to sign Dak longer term, and improve the immediate cap situation, or try to trade Dak for a boatload of pics. This wishy washy situation is a horrible choice.

JBS

Reaction score
Or maybe except that a lot of others have a different opinion in life not just this... Accept varying opinion doesnt have to always agree with yours,,, and move on

There is a difference between having a different opinion and being wrong. He's just wrong.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

So the story states that if they don’t get him signed to a long term deal between now and free agency, the Cowboys will put the franchise tag on him. What is the story here? Everyone knew that. Does Rappaport get paid for that story?