News: Rapoport says Dallas making a push to get Dak Deal done before March 10

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'm sticking with my prediction.

I think the contract will be a shorter one than many expect, because Dak and his agent want to get to that new CBA money as soon as they can.

3-years, $100 million, with probably $65 - $75 million of it guaranteed. Essentially, a two-year deal with the 'club option' for year three.

I think the surface average will be higher than $33.3M. People are hoping it's lower, but it won't be. Inflation, lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Pretty good numbers there, but I think the Cowboys want more term.

Not that they'll get their way, but doing 4 years means giving Dak something like 5 x 250 when he's 31 next time. This is why the Cowboys would, I think, be comfortable at something like 8 x 304 ($38m). Dak won't go for it, for obvious reasons, but the high sticker price now gives good value later.
I think that’s been the problem. JJ wants a 7 year and Dak likely wants 3. Money is close if we offered 33. We can go up to 35. If he is expecting more than wilson just got then he can go elsewhere. This greed of him and or his agent could work for us. If he regresses or gets injured badly then he won’t get that big second contract. He is once again gambling on himself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah if Dak was a Super Bowl champion I’d pay him whatever.. The damage is done and we would be champions..

Just like in the '90's. And then you worry about how you're going to pay when the bill comes due after you've won. (and hope you draft well!)

The problem is we haven’t even sniffed that yet and he’s going to get paid like he has because market...

The same "problem" everyone that thinks they have their quarterback has. If you think you have one, you pay to keep them. The market is crazy, but it is the market. You pay if you want to play in that market.

Even though these other overpaid QBs at least went to the Super Bowl and in Wentz’s case his team won it so who really cares if it doesn’t work out by overpaying.

Wentz didn't win that Super Bowl. He never even played. Not in the playoffs and not in that Super Bowl. But the Eagles paid Wentz and sent Foles packing. Time will tell if they were right or wrong.

I'd argue that the Rams went despite Goff, not because of him. And I think his Super Bowl performance is one of the worst in the game's history, and he and the Rams nearly set a record for being held scoreless. And the Rams also quickly paid Goff, another decision that will be subject to scrutiny and potential criticism.

I really hate the argument when people say Dak bet on himself this year too and act like he should be proud of the season he had and he made it clear he is worth 35 mill a year lol.

Dak bet on himself and lost. He proved he is dependent on everyone around him more then ever.

Again, that reads like unsupported, biased opinion. Prescott's 2019 numbers and overall rankings say the opposite of the opinions you're expressing here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the surface average will be higher than $33.3M. People are hoping it's lower, but it won't be. Inflation, lol.

Compromise has to kick in at some point. Dak and his agent don;t get to have their cake and eat it too. If you want that shorter term deal? It requires you to take less than top of the market salary. Otherwise, we'll just tag you for two years for less money overall and you can worry about making less and worrying about injury or poor play.

Two sides to this coin.

Ron12

Reaction score
No way do you only give him 3 years 6 or 7 years so we don't deal with this every other year when he only has a year left ! With a 5 year option !

slick325

Reaction score
Get the deal done...why drag it out? They made their decision to re-sign him halfway thru 2016.

Now get to the business of re-signing players around him to keep the team competitive. Get Cooper done, keep B. Jones and see if Quinn's asking price is reasonable.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just like in the '90's. And then you worry about how you're going to pay when the bill comes due after you've won. (and hope you draft well!)

The same "problem" everyone that thinks they have their quarterback has. If you think you have one, you pay to keep them. The market is crazy, but it is the market. You pay if you want to play in that market.

Wentz didn't win that Super Bowl. He never even played. Not in the playoffs and not in that Super Bowl. But the Eagles paid Wentz and sent Foles packing. Time will tell if they were right or wrong.

I'd argue that the Rams went despite Goff, not because of him. And I think his Super Bowl performance is one of the worst in the game's history, and he and the Rams nearly set a record for being held scoreless. And the Rams also quickly paid Goff, another decision that will be subject to scrutiny and potential criticism.

Again, that reads like unsupported, biased opinion. Prescott's 2019 numbers and overall rankings say the opposite of the opinions you're expressing here.

Yeah.. The problem is we’re the team that thinks they have one like the Vikings and 9ers think they have one.

Goff sucks.. I would take Dak over Goff but I wouldn’t pay either one of them because neither guy is that good.

If you want to defend the stupidity of paying mediocre QBs then be my guest but when we look back on this years from now and the light bulb finally goes off in fans and NFL teams heads that they don’t need to pay a fortune for mediocrity then don’t say I didn’t tell you so..

An optimal environment for a QB can get guys like Tannehill to perform so unless you have Patrick Mahomes quality then don’t pay elite prices for a mediocre QB.

cern

Reaction score
Dak has an leverage advantage in the short term.. the cowboys have the leverage in the long term. Should be plenty of time to get a deal done.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys will make a push on their terms and basis and to what they will want for Dak to re-sign for,.. but I still think both sides are gonna play chicken and hard ball at the it's most dire time, deadline situation ... and that will come in the preseason for the final long term deal, I believe.

No Dak long term deal will be done, come March 10... and it will come down to being franchise tagged,.. just as we saw with DLaw last year.
I tend to believe Fish with the Jerry mindset in past tough negotiations talks ... " Deadlines make the best Deals "

the biggest challenge and worry is a Dak hold out that will be a threat to the entire season as Prescott under a new HC and offensive version, really needs to be a part of the offseason, camp
and preseason. Cant afford to spend entire season trying to learn on the run, and getting adjusted to McCarthy style offense. Its a true Win- now mode.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rapoport says Dallas making a push to get Dak Deal done before March 10
raw

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you are a writer or reporter this is the easiest way to obtain hits. Just write some BS we already know about the cowboys dealings with whatever big name in Free agency and boom, instant traffic to your site, article or whatever.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah.. The problem is we’re the team that thinks they have one like the Vikings and 9ers think they have one.

Goff sucks.. I would take Dak over Goff but I wouldn’t pay either one of them because neither guy is that good.

Here's the spot you're in. If you can't or won't pay 'em, someone else will. Just like the Vikings did with Cousins, whether you see that as a good move or a bad one, they did it. And if this team ever allowed Dak to hit the market, one of the have-nots - like the Colts for instance - would sign him up in a second and be thankful that they have another one after Luck's suddenly retirement left that franchise in a ditch.

If you want to defend the stupidity of paying mediocre QBs then be my guest but when we look back on this years from now and the light bulb finally goes off in fans and NFL teams heads that they don’t need to pay a fortune for mediocrity then don’t say I didn’t tell you so..

And if you want to continue to falsely proclaim your unsupported and unsubstantiated opinions as any sort of a "given", you "be my guest "too. Just know that you're fooling nobody other than yourself.

An optimal environment for a QB can get guys like Tannehill to perform so unless you have Patrick Mahomes quality then don’t pay elite prices for a mediocre QB.

Then you don't have one.

I see a bunch of criticisms, but no support for it and certainly no answers.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I'm sticking with my prediction.

I think the contract will be a shorter one than many expect, because Dak and his agent want to get to that new CBA money as soon as they can.

3-years, $100 million, with probably $65 - $75 million of it guaranteed. Essentially, a two-year deal with the 'club option' for year three.

Exactly what I heard on the radio, I think it was Golic who said this. I think the team wants 5 years. Dak wants 3.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been trying to get this done for months... it isnt like they havent made offers, but Dak is just nuts, or his agent is. A deal can not get done when only one side is happy with the deal. Same with Cooper, they wanted to sign him already also, and his agent wanted to wait for Thomas and whats his face in Atlanta to sign their deals./

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yeah if Dak was a Super Bowl champion I’d pay him whatever.. The damage is done and we would be champions..

The problem is we haven’t even sniffed that yet and he’s going to get paid like he has because market... Even though these other overpaid QBs at least went to the Super Bowl and in Wentz’s case his team won it so who really cares if it doesn’t work out by overpaying.

I really hate the argument when people say Dak bet on himself this year too and act like he should be proud of the season he had and he made it clear he is worth 35 mill a year lol.

Dak bet on himself and lost. He proved he is dependent on everyone around him more then ever.

Dak has earned a long term deal, but he has not earned a paycheck that would pay him top 5 QB money. Thats just my opinion. Wentz would have been the MVP of the damn league had he not been injured a couple of years ago. Wilson has a ring and been to another SB. Dak has done a good job, not a GREAT job. He has earned a good deal, not a GREAT deal. I am just happy as hell the front office is not giving in.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Just get it over with already.

I'm tired of watching this team drag their feet on contracts. Especially for Dak Prescott when his already bad projected contract is going to get worse as time goes on.

It will be nice to know how long the deal is so I can know when we have a shot at winning a Superbowl again.
Will you go away when you determine that time frame? Please.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The problem is we haven’t even sniffed that yet and he’s going to get paid like he has because market... Even though these other overpaid QBs at least went to the Super Bowl and in Wentz’s case his team won it so who really cares if it doesn’t work out by overpaying.

Lost?? going from 600k to at least 30 million means he bet on himself and lost? LOL!!!