Rapoport: Watson officially requests trade

CWR

Reaction score
Honestly Houston is in that one alone because you don't trade away half your roster one of which is your QB1's favorite target for a bad of potato chips aging rb and a bag of skittles. That's not to mention they systematically dismantled their defense player by player. They are competing with the Jones family to be the worst run front office in football

Its not a competition at all. Houston is much worse.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree with that, he's never even hinted he's unhappy. He's pretty much kept his comments to himself.

Prescott doesn't strike me as the type guy to let this get personal. I think he and the Joneses genuinely like each other and both want him to continue as the DC QB.

For that reason, I have little doubt that a deal gets done and may already be agreed upon and the Joneses don't want to announce that just yet with all of the Stafford/Watson mews seeking some spotlight.

And I expect the Joneses to remain silent about being linked to any QB acquisition to add just another touch of pressure to this. It is still business.

What you just said doesn't make a lot of sense. Granted it's an opinion, but you said that they may already agreed on things and the Jones' wants to keep it quite because of Stafford and Watson. If they have an agreement he would want to get his name on a contract and that would be huge news that would over shadow Stafford and Watson news and Jones would be all for that, all the publicity.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What you just said doesn't make a lot of sense. Granted it's an opinion, but you said that they may already agreed on things and the Jones' wants to keep it quite because of Stafford and Watson. If they have an agreement he would want to get his name on a contract and that would be huge news that would over shadow Stafford and Watson news and Jones would be all for that, all the publicity.
The lead stories right now are Stafford and Watson and they will be until those deals are made. Prescott is old news compared to them plus it keeps the Cowboys in the news as possible trade partners for Stafford and Wilson.

If the Joneses spent as much time on evaluating coaches and players as they do trying to dominate the NFL media landscape, they might accomplish something.

If they have an agreement, and they could have going back to the missed deadline, there's no rush to get it signed. They can wait for the right time to max the exposure and that benefits Prescott as well with his endorsements.

Sydla

Reaction score
The contract isn't so much the issue itself. You still have to pay him but you still need draft capital to get him. That's going to kill a team.

Putting aside the cost in acquiring him, paying him a lot isn't the issue. It's the cap hit that would be an issue. But Watson's contract beyond 2022 isn't bad at all and you could restructure to lower some of the immediate cap hits.

It's fantasy to think about the Cowboys acquiring him but if the Cowboys made Dak available, I doubt they'd have to put up that much draft capital at all.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
AMEN!!!! Its the tail that wags the dog. Maybe I am old school..but what happened to a deal is a deal? He just signed it 4 months ago!! You mean to tell me he took the money FULLY knowing how challenged this team was in the front office? HE HAD TO JNOW and no one can tell me different. He signed it, HE needs to honor it. He took the dang money.
The only thing that really changed for them was the trading of his #1 receiver. That was a big deal, but you cannot suddenly leave town after that one bad move and a bad season.

RamziD

Reaction score
Not even going to read this thread which I assume is a big pile of dog poop. I just wanted to post that Watson is not better than Dak.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think panthers will give them the best offer and he is out of the conference. Watson with rule could be big for the franchise.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The lead stories right now are Stafford and Watson and they will be until those deals are made. Prescott is old news compared to them plus it keeps the Cowboys in the news as possible trade partners for Stafford and Wilson.

If the Joneses spent as much time on evaluating coaches and players as they do trying to dominate the NFL media landscape, they might accomplish something.

If they have an agreement, and they could have going back to the missed deadline, there's no rush to get it signed. They can wait for the right time to max the exposure and that benefits Prescott as well with his endorsements.

The Cowboys are NEWS. If they reached that agreement Jones wants the biggest news to be about the Cowboys. If Prescott was such old news why is there some kind of article about Prescott every day? The only people saying either Stafford or Watson have any connection to the Cowboys are the sportswriters that speculate out their tailbones just to get clicks on their articles just like all the articles about Prescott. Your idea that if they already have an agreement but are waiting so all the speculation on Stafford and Watson is bigger news that an actual Prescott signing is just plain foolishness. Real true facts outweigh speculation EVERY day.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Read a tweet earlier of Panthers planning a strong push also........looking like the Texans may come out this with a min 3 1st rounders.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Read a tweet earlier of Panthers planning a strong push also........looking like the Texans may come out this with a min 3 1st rounders.

Barstool is garbage.
They're goobs hunting for goob followers traveling the lowest denominations of humor.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
He's under contract. Pretty much the same guy you have here. Why yall not wanting to trade the whole draft for him?

rags747

Reaction score
When and how did Deshawn become such a *****? He wants to sit out sit out ** her and do not collect your salary.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I could see that.

It's already started....dude was on his soapbox not too long ago....and let's just say....without getting into trouble...he has his opinions. He can keep them. :rolleyes:

Hard to talk about the real issue.....but let's just say....you couldn't give me enough draft picks to take him.

He's gonna submarine the next franchise he ends up on.....please lord let it be the football team in Washington.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's already started....dude was on his soapbox not too long ago....and let's just say....without getting into trouble...he has his opinions. He can keep them. :rolleyes:

Hard to talk about the real issue.....but let's just say....you couldn't give me enough draft picks to take him.

He's gonna submarine the next franchise he ends up on.....please lord let it be the football team in Washington.

I suspect he's going to follow James Harden to NY.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Putting aside the cost in acquiring him, paying him a lot isn't the issue. It's the cap hit that would be an issue. But Watson's contract beyond 2022 isn't bad at all and you could restructure to lower some of the immediate cap hits.

It's fantasy to think about the Cowboys acquiring him but if the Cowboys made Dak available, I doubt they'd have to put up that much draft capital at all.
That makes zero sense. So why would you trade for him at all if he and Dak are close enough to not have to trade much draft capital?