Rapsheet: Sean Payton has not committed to returning to the Saints 2022

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Please DONT bring him here. He’s the exact same guy as McCarthy. It would take a boatload of picks to get him also.

He gets way overhyped for what he’s actually done. 2 years ago he had the #1 seed and lost to the Vikings in the divisional round. Sound familiar? He also had 3 straight years of 500 or worse.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Ya know Payton isn't Belicheck, but it sure would add a new level of hope and excitement if Jerry was able to snag him out of Nawlins.
Hopefully Stephen and McClay tell Jerry this is nothing more than a PR stunt. It won’t change on the field results.

Gaede

Reaction score
Says he's under contract till 2024. Mentions he may 'retire' and then come back the year after.

So probably no hope of him coming in this year. But 2023...

Carson

Reaction score
The closest we will get to Payton, is watching the Netflix movie about the Saints with Kevin James

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Welll well well. Guess we’ll see what the future holds soon enough.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The same offense that’s rarely shown up in the playoffs his whole career and got bounced at home by the Vikings 2 years ago? He’s the same guy as McCarthy.

I agree that while I’d gladly take him I think I’d lean towards a young up and comer than a 58 year old Payton. That said him and mm aren’t the same.we disagree there. You can point to the win losses all you want

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I agree that while I’d gladly take him I think I’d lean towards a young up and comer than a 58 year old Payton. That said him and mm aren’t the same.we disagree there. You can point to the win losses all you want
Payton 3 straight 500 or worse seasons in the last decade. Offense always falls apart late in the season. McCarthy generally either had good teams or bad teams but they were mostly consistent the whole year before this year.

Payton is not the guru everyone thinks he is. Not that McCarthy is some great guru either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most overrated HC in the NFL. That no call PI drew all of the attention away from horrible play calling at the end of the game.

Payton is a lot more owing to Brees than Belichick is to Brady.

The grass is not greener with him over McCarthy.

He's under contract, how can he just not show up for work? If I am the Saints owner and GM, I start interviewing and call his bluff. By letting this be made public, he has put himself in the box.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Payton 3 straight 500 or worse seasons in the last decade. Offense always falls apart late in the season. McCarthy generally either had good teams or bad teams but they were mostly consistent the whole year before this year.

Payton is not the guru everyone thinks he is. Not that McCarthy is some great guru either.

He’s a coach that holds players accountable. He’s a coach doesn’t take any ****. He’s a coach who commands respect when he walks in the room. He’s a coach who still has a hand on with play calling.

Saying they are one in the same is like saying rabbits and cheetahs are the same because they each have legs.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Personally if you’re moving on from MM I’d like a young guy with creativity- basically what we thought Moore was but with some personality

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He’s a coach that holds players accountable. He’s a coach doesn’t take any ****. He’s a coach who commands respect when he walks in the room. He’s a coach who still has a hand on with play calling.

Saying they are one in the same is like saying rabbits and cheetahs are the same because they each have legs.
How do you know he commands respect? I’ve never heard anything about players standing up straight when he walks in the room.

Michael Thomas doesn’t seem to respect him. Sat out last 2 years with “injuries” amid disputes with the team

Plankton

Reaction score
I think people have very short memories. The Saints were a laughing stock organization before Payton got there. They had never won a playoff game in their history prior to his arrival. Is he Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick? No. Is he a very good coach? Yes.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
How do you know he commands respect? I’ve never heard anything about players standing up straight when he walks in the room.

Michael Thomas doesn’t seem to respect him. Sat out last 2 years with “injuries” amid disputes with the team

Go see how former players and current players talk about him, how assistants talk about him, how other coaches talk about him and how hard his players usually play for him.

Michael Thomas is in a contract dispute over $- if your gonna hang your head on a player who by your own admission you doubt the validity of his injuries then your just grasping for straws.