Rate the Cowboy head coaches...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
wileedog;3789206 said:
But he won a playoff game!

While he was completely eroding our talent base and destroying our defense.

That was Wade's SB.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
wileedog;3789234 said:
Oh wait, I forgot the Bye Week victory in 2007.

That's TWO* playoff games!

* In Wade's World.
And that is still significantly more than what Parcells accomplished in their time with dallas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheRat;3789236 said:
And that is still significantly more than what Parcells accomplished.

Parcells wasn't handed a talented team when he arrived in Dallas he was brought in to fix things. The Cowboys didn't have a QB or a pass rusher when Parcells arrived.

wileedog

Reaction score
TheRat;3789236 said:
And that is still significantly more than what Parcells accomplished.

Parcell's didn't win a playoff game and turned a 5-11 team with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick on it around in 4 years to be a legitimate contender.

Wade took a legitimate contender, won one playoff game, and left the team 6-10 (with 5 of the wins coming under another coach) and needing to replace about 6-8 starters minimum to be considered legitimate again. Not to mention fostering a team culture of laziness and lack of accountability. The team quit on him not once, but twice, which I consider the ultimate indictment of a HC.

I'll take Option A every damn time. Keep your pointless playoff win (especially when it was followed by that complete drubbing in MN).

Stautner

Reaction score
KJJ;3789242 said:
Parcells wasn't handed a talented team when he arrived in Dallas he was brought in to fix things.

When it comes down to it there isn't that much separating Parcells from Phillips. I personally would put Parcells ahead of Phillips because of what you mentioned - he started further behind, and he got the team headed in a positive direction. Phillips accomplished somethings, somewhat more than Parcells, but ultimately he failed to take the team to another level than it was at when he inherited it, while Parcells clearly did. Add in tha the team experienced a monuental crash under Phillips, and Parcells has to slide in ahead of Phillips in the ranking.

wileedog

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3789265 said:
Why would he do that?

Without context, he can maintain his claim.

You know, I don't even care if someone wants to construe Parcells as a failure here.

The 3 1/2 years Wade was here was one of the worst coaching jobs ever. Anywhere. Not even Campo can claim to do so little with so much, and to leave the team in so much worse shape than he found it in so short a time.

Even the defense he was brought in to be Mr Fix It for he left in a tattered shambles.

Hearing some of the mind-boggling stuff that was going on under his watch after he left should leave no doubt in anyone's mind he is easily in contention for worst.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Stautner;3789255 said:
When it comes down to it there isn't that much separating Parcells from Phillips. I personally would put Parcells ahead of Phillips because of what you mentioned - he started further behind, and he got the team headed in a positive direction. Phillips accomplished somethings, somewhat more than Parcells, but ultimately he failed to take the team to another level than it was at when he inherited it, while Parcells clearly did. Add in tha the team experienced a monuental crash under Phillips, and Parcells has to slide in ahead of Phillips in the ranking.

If you look at Parcells and Wade's head coaching careers there's alot that separate them it's not even close.

The game had passed Parcells by as a "coach" when he arrived in Dallas but he found the Cowboys some talent. He was still stuck in the 1980's trying to win games with a cloud of dust offense and with his defense on the field.

He helped build a solid foundation for the future with a playmaking QB who fits the air it out offenses of todays NFL and he found us a great pass rusher.

Wade accomplished very little in my opinion a more competent HC could have done so much more with what he had to work with. He left the Cowboys a complete wreck.

Stautner

Reaction score
KJJ;3789280 said:
If you look at Parcells and Wade's head coaching careers there's alot that separate them it's not even close.

The game had passed Parcells by as a "coach" when he arrived in Dallas but he found the Cowboys some talent. He was still stuck in the 1980's trying to win games with a cloud of dust offense and with his defense on the field.

He helped build a solid foundation for the future with a playmaking QB who fits the air it out offenses of todays NFL and he found us a great pass rusher.

Wade accomplished very little in my opinion a more competent HC could have done so much more with what he had to work with. He left the Cowboys a complete wreck.

Sure, if you look at the entire career, I agree that it's not even close. I was only referring to the brief time of each in Dallas.

As for in Dallas, I think we have to list getting to the NFC Championship game as an accomplishment, but ultimately I would agree that he didn't accomplish the goal of improving the team in a real way, and in the end the way the team crashed this year was what drove in the final nail. At the very least he should have been able to maintain what he had, and he failed to do that.

wileedog

Reaction score
Stautner;3789293 said:
Sure, if you look at the entire career, I agree that it's not even close. I was only referring to the brief time of each in Dallas.

As for in Dallas, I think we have to list getting to the NFC Championship game as an accomplishment, .

Nope, not that far. The Eagles win was the Wild Card game, MN was the Divisional.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Stautner;3789293 said:

It's still not even close when you look at what they accomplished in Dallas.

Parcells started off with a bad Cowboy team that had Quincy Carter at QB and in 4 years he left the Cowboys a lot better off than when he arrived.

Wade started off with a talented Cowboy team that had a pro bowl QB and one of the best young pass rushers in the league thanks to Parcells.

Regardless that Wade won a playoff game he did a horrible job with what he was given to work with.

The team suffered one of the most embarrassing defeats in franchise history to Philly in the season finale in 08 and left what appeared to be a SB caliber team in shambles at 1-7 and was fired because of it.

Parcells walked away and Wade got fired.

Stautner;3789293 said:
As for in Dallas, I think we have to list getting to the NFC Championship game as an accomplishment, but ultimately I would agree that he didn't accomplish the goal of improving the team in a real way, and in the end the way the team crashed this year was what drove in the final nail. At the very least he should have been able to maintain what he had, and he failed to do that.

The Cowboys never got to an NFC title game with Wade.

Stautner

Reaction score
KJJ;3789317 said:
It's still not even close when you look at what they accomplished in Dallas.

Parcells started off with a bad Cowboy team that had Quincy Carter at QB and in 4 years he left the Cowboys a lot better off than when he arrived.

Wade started off with a talented Cowboy team that had a pro bowl QB and one of the best young pass rushers in the league thanks to Parcells.

Regardless that Wade won a playoff game he did a horrible job with what he was given to work with.

The team suffered one of the most embarrassing defeats in franchise history to Philly in the season finale in 08 and left what appeared to be a SB caliber team in shambles at 1-7 and was fired because of it.

Parcells walked away and Wade got fired.

The Cowboys never got to an NFC title game with Wade.

That's right, they came up one short of the NFC title game - my mistake.

I'm not going to argue with you about Parcells vs. Phillips. I agree Parcells did the better job, and i was probably being a little too kind in saying there wasn't that much difference between the two. What I was trying to say really was that there wasn't that much differnce between the team success, but that because Bill had to build a team and Wade didn't, and because of the crash this season, Bill clearly did the better job.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The breakdown thus far:

http://i356.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo4/DallasEast1701/7ca70a48.gif

... I don't know, but may be a photo finish for the top overall consensus opinion.

:rolleyes:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
DallasEast;3789560 said:
The breakdown thus far:

http://i356.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo4/DallasEast1701/7ca70a48.gif

... I don't know, but may be a photo finish for the top overall consensus opinion.

:rolleyes:

that is only because people on this board are often afraid to buck the trend and not think like sheep