Rate the last book you read

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3376085 said:
Ugh, that doesn't sound encouraging. LOL.

Hahaha.

Yeah, when I started reading AFFC, I thought all the negativity surrounding the last book was unfounded but as I got deeper into the book, I realized the criticisms were just.

I encourage you to read AFFC and take my thoughts with a grain of salt and see things for yourself.

I only have about 5 more chapters to read and I am definitely among the bitter fans.

Oh and I wouldn't expect A Dance with Dragons to come out anytime soon ;) .

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Sea of Thunder, by Evan Thomas. 7/10

Thomas is a very good writer (did RFK's biography). In Sea of Thunder, he details the last great sea battles of WWII, from the perspective of both sides. Thomas is best at helping the reader get to know the main characters, and Admiral Halsey is quite a character. I also enjoyed the focus on Ernest Evans, a Cherokee Indian who rose through the naval ranks to command his own ship.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Team of Rivals.....

I've read many Civil War books, but this is one of the better ones.

I've never paid much attention to the political side of the war. I prefer to read about the fighting men and the battles.

But this is very good.

8/10

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
Currently reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, so far so good.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
'A Feast For Crows' - 8.5/10

I liked it, but he left out all the POVs of the characters I liked. He's saving them all for the next book. The next one is going to seriously rock whenever it actually comes out. Some nice surprises at the end of this one though and the one "preview" chapter of the next book involving Danys at the end of this one was very enjoyable.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
I picked up a few paperback novels over the past month. I don't have time to review them. I read Numbered Account. I was torn on this novel. It was very detailed and the story moved along in some places yet dragged in others. The plot was overall pretty thick. But the ending was poorly planned for such a long build up and elaborate plot. Not my first choice of books I've recently read. 3 of 5 stars.

I read a few more Sidney Sheldon books. Master of the Game is absolutely great. It had a great plot for a historical novel. Great book. 5 of 5 stars.

I also read Windmill of the Gods which I award 4 of 5 stars.

I also read Four Blind Mice by James Patterson. 4 of 5 stars.

The most surprising read I picked up was written by a Floridian author, James Hall, who wrote a great story with Body Language. The characters in this story are very colorful, almost personable. You won't be disappointed with 5 of 5 stars.

There are others, but I don't remember the titles off hand.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Bizwah;3376446 said:
Team of Rivals.....

I've never paid much attention to the political side of the war. I prefer to read about the fighting men and the battles.

But this is very good.

8/10

Read "The Real Lincoln" Eye opening to say the least.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Dialogue, by Gloria Kempton. 1/10. Horribly written and could do more to damage an aspiring writer's process than help it. She's all over the place with her writing. Worst in the "Write Great Fiction" series by a mile. Anytime an author says "Use lots of adverbs" feel free to use the book as emergency toilet paper.

Just finished off Description and Setting by Ron Rozelle of Texas no less. Not too bad. He does make the importance of the setting and how to describe any singular thing. Showing versus Telling was a somewhat informative chapter. The last of the book is probably going to be the most helpful.

Now starting "Plot and Structure" in the series by James Scott Bell. Excellent so far. I've got notes and underlines on almost every page. Without a doubt the most helpful book I've read for writing outside of "Writing Fiction" in the Gotham Writer's Workshop. It already has helped me see a huge hole and necessary run up in action in the introduction of my novel that will help the story overall.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
A Feast For Crows.
1/10

This is easily the worst of the 4 books. GRRM decided to devote this book to the 'B Team' and seems to have fired his editor, as this book is filled with endless pages of mind numbing details of surroundings, banners, walking around and who begat who. It is kind of like seeing Star Wars and being introduced to all the characters, good and bad but then in the next film Lucas decides to only have Jar Jar Bink's storyline in it.

What was worse was at the end of the book GRRM tried to explain why he went with the 'B Team' and claimed that the 5th book was pretty much ready to go and would be out soon. Well, he wrote that in 2005 and it is now 2010 and the 5th book is not out yet, so who knows if the series will ever be completed.

The wait for the 5th book has been so long and GRRM introduced way too many characters in the 4th book, I fear people may have to re-read the previous books as a refresher. The only reason I finished this book is because I had already read the previous 3 books.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
5/10

Probably a little unfair to compare it to GRRM's work but Hobb's world wasn't as detailed and interesting as the one in A Song of Ice and Fire.

Regardless, I have already started reading the 2nd book of the series.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3392184 said:
The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
5/10

Probably a little unfair to compare it to GRRM's work but Hobb's world wasn't as detailed and interesting as the one in A Song of Ice and Fire.

Regardless, I have already started reading the 2nd book of the series.

Haha, the Farseer Trilogy is what I was going to start reading next as well. Well, that or Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Hadn't fully made up my mind. I'm about half through with Feast now.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3392190 said:
Haha, the Farseer Trilogy is what I was going to start reading next as well. Well, that or Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Hadn't fully made up my mind. I'm about half through with Feast now.

Yeah, I did quite a bit of research before I went with The Farseer Trilogy.

The main problem with Hobb's books are that there isn't enough detail about the world, so you don't get sense that you are escaping to a new world when you are reading the book. It has some good qualities but overall it isn't as good as GRRM's work.

ethiostar

Reaction score
I finished reading The Clash of Kings. I thought it was slightly better than 1st, A Game of Thrones. There was a lot more action in the second book compared with the first and I found it to be a lot more engaging and exciting to read. I have to say that, i found myself not looking forwad to reading chapters written from certain characters point of view. I loved reading chapters from the perspectives of Jon, the imp, and Daenerys to a large extent but not so much from Bran.

I have already started the next one, A Storm of Swords.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bizwah;3376446 said:
Team of Rivals.....

But this is very good.

8/10

I just finished reading that for the 3rd time. The magnanimity of Lincoln was astounding. How she closed the book was very sad. Going back to when he was a young politician. Just eerie.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
ethiostar;3392518 said:
I finished reading The Clash of Kings. I thought it was slightly better than 1st, A Game of Thrones. There was a lot more action in the second book compared with the first and I found it to be a lot more engaging and exciting to read. I have to say that, i found myself not looking forwad to reading chapters written from certain characters point of view. I loved reading chapters from the perspectives of Jon, the imp, and Daenerys to a large extent but not so much from Bran.

I have already started the next one, A Storm of Swords.

LOL, Sansa chapters made me cringe also. IMO book 3 is the best.

ethiostar

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3392555 said:
LOL, Sansa chapters made me cringe also. IMO book 3 is the best.

Yep, i didn't look forward to reading those chapters much either.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
Gzus;3376449 said:
Currently reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, so far so good.
Finished it last night. If you are interested in American history and vampires then you'll love it. Yes Abraham Lincoln as a vampire hunter, it makes history into fiction and it's very entertaining. Puts a vampiric spin on the Civil War and Lincoln's life.

9/10, a few slow spots but the rest was a fun read.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Gzus;3394399 said:
Finished it last night. If you are interested in American history and vampires then you'll love it. Yes Abraham Lincoln as a vampire hunter, it makes history into fiction and it's very entertaining. Puts a vampiric spin on the Civil War and Lincoln's life.

9/10, a few slow spots but the rest was a fun read.

Looks like Tim Burton is already set to make a movie about it. Figures.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3394474 said:
Looks like Tim Burton is already set to make a movie about it. Figures.
That's gonna be cool :) As I was reading it I was thinking to myself that it would make one hell of a movie. Some of the dreams that are included are very well written to make a great movie. Tim Burton and his style will fit this book very well.

rynochop

Reaction score
vta;3325898 said:
Do people really sit through awful movies to look at a hot woman??

I managed to sit thru Intolerable Cruelty for that reason alone. I could barely tell you what it was about, but man Cathernine Zeta Jones was hot in it.

Any W.E.B Griffin fans out there? I recently finished his Presidential Agent series and really enjoyed it. Havent read much of his other stuff though.